Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2016, 10:00 AM   #1
jamest0o0
Registered Member

Simple mantis set up?

Hey guys, I'm new to mantis shrimp, but not SW (although It's been awhile since I've had a tank). I live in an apartment right now that I most likely will be moving out of within a year. I'd really like to set up a tank that would be as simple as possible. I'm fascinated with mantis shrimp and was wondering what you guys would suggest? I want a fairly large mantis that will be active and really stick out, but not as far as a peacock(plus I hear they are very difficult to keep longterm). Could anyone suggest some types that are hardy? I still need to figure out a tank size too, I don't think I'll be able to go larger than 20-30ish gallons, but we'll see... I'd like to decide on the mantis I plan to keep before I get the tank. I'm trying to stay away from a sump and a lot of equipment, maybe one of those tanks that have the refugium in the back. I have the funds, I just want to keep it simple for now until I move. Also I understand they'll move stuff around, so would I be able to keep zoanthids and other hardier corals if I glued them down?

So does this sound realistic? My SW addiction is itching and I'd really like to get back into it, but I don't want to start up something complicated until I move to a permanent location down the road.

Unread 02/12/2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Martini5788
Registered Member

N. Wennerae are hardy. G smithii are really cool but hard to find. O havanensis( from kp aquatics) look very similar to peacocks but stay smaller but are not as hardy.

Martini5788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 03:35 PM   #3
EI Gringo
Registered Member

If you have a 30 gallon aquarium of 3 square feet of floor space or more and you are able to care for SPS corals then I see no problem with going with a peacock. In a display that size and as a main display at that, I wouldn't want anything smaller that I would rarely see. Still, sounds good to me. A tank with a back of the tank sump including a powerful protein skimmer would be ideal, good luck!

EI Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2016, 04:24 PM   #4
jamest0o0
Registered Member

I don't have a 30g or sps, but i'd plan on getting that size, I might as well go with a sump if i want that set up instead of having the skimmer on the back. I like the looks of those recommended above, but they seem a bit small. I do have an 8g with refugium section in the back that would probably be perfect for the smaller guys, but If i'm going to have a mantis i'd really like it to be one of the bigger guys that will strike fear into people that enter my house >. Thanks for replying!

Unread 02/12/2016, 04:25 PM   #5
jamest0o0
Registered Member

Also corals aren't a must, but it'd be a nice addition. I'm a big fan of zoanthids personally, but i love em all.

Unread 02/12/2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamest0o0 View Post
I don't have a 30g or sps, but i'd plan on getting that size, I might as well go with a sump if i want that set up instead of having the skimmer on the back. I like the looks of those recommended above, but they seem a bit small. I do have an 8g with refugium section in the back that would probably be perfect for the smaller guys, but If i'm going to have a mantis i'd really like it to be one of the bigger guys that will strike fear into people that enter my house >. Thanks for replying!

Oh I read that wrong! I thought it said you DIDNT want a larger species. My bad haha. Those wouldn't apply then lol. If I were you, I would find a used
In sump skimmer, and just set up a 30 long or a 40 breeder with a 10 or 20 gallon sump. It's just easier from the get go and to maintain. But before you start adding corals and getting stronger lighting for them, I would wait a few
Months to make sure your setup can maintain a low nutrient system so that you can safely increase the lighting without drastically increasing the risk for shell rot.

Unread 02/12/2016, 05:25 PM   #7
jamest0o0
Registered Member

So this would be for a peacock then? And lighting causes shell rot? Sorry it's been awhile trying to refresh myself. I have a sump and a LOT of leftover equipment already so that could work. I would need a stand and a tank, I was thinking acrylic to be on the safe side since i heard they will hit the glass at the bottom of the tank, or do you think it'd be fine? I would definitely like to get the low-iron glass if I go glass. Do You guys have any suggestions/links for places I can get a tank from, it'd be cool to customize something even, i cant remember the places I used to look at online. I'd like to get something reef-ready. I love the look of those rimless cubes. Idk though i have a million ideas flying through my head lol.

Unread 02/12/2016, 05:43 PM   #8
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
So this would be for a peacock then? And lighting causes shell rot? Sorry it's been awhile trying to refresh myself. I have a sump and a LOT of leftover equipment already so that could work. I would need a stand and a tank, I was thinking acrylic to be on the safe side since i heard they will hit the glass at the bottom of the tank, or do you think it'd be fine? I would definitely like to get the low-iron glass if I go glass. Do You guys have any suggestions/links for places I can get a tank from, it'd be cool to customize something even, i cant remember the places I used to look at online. I'd like to get something reef-ready. I love the look of those rimless cubes. Idk though i have a million ideas flying through my head lol.

Yeah I would go ahead and just plan for a peacock, which is going to be the easiest to acquire larger smasher species that is interactive. I just use a typical 40 breeder from petco. And I siliconed a sheet of acrylic to the bottom of the tank as an extra safety measure. The only time I would ever get an acrylic tank is when I finally get to setup a temperate reef, they are just too expensive and you have to be so careful about scratching them. I'm sure you could custom order an acrylic tanks but it would be pricey so keep that in mind. Also, the floor print needs to be 3 ft long.

Unread 02/12/2016, 06:02 PM   #9
jamest0o0
Registered Member

Awesome I might just do that, but i'd still like to take a look at some sites online that sell the customizable tanks(just out of curiosity). if anyone has any suggested sites for that, i'd appreciate it. I'm still a bit confused on the lighting/coral bit, so they do fine with corals, but just wait awhile for the tank to stabilize?

Unread 02/12/2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Awesome I might just do that, but i'd still like to take a look at some sites online that sell the customizable tanks(just out of curiosity). if anyone has any suggested sites for that, i'd appreciate it. I'm still a bit confused on the lighting/coral bit, so they do fine with corals, but just wait awhile for the tank to stabilize?

If the water quality is essentially perfect with undetectable nitrates and phosphatez( water quality that would sustain sps), then some
People will try having corals in a peacock tank, but there is a correlation between high lighting and the occurrence of shell rot. So if you are good over a 6 month period on having
Really awesome parameters then I would consider adding some corals that don't require intense lighting but I probably wouldn't before then.

Unread 02/12/2016, 06:22 PM   #11
jamest0o0
Registered Member

Ook i understand what you mean. That's fine with me! As long as the tank is 3ft long does it matter the gallons as long as it's reasonable? For example could I have a shallow 3x3 cube? Or are mantis' too messy?

Unread 02/12/2016, 06:48 PM   #12
Martini5788
Registered Member

Quote:
Ook i understand what you mean. That's fine with me! As long as the tank is 3ft long does it matter the gallons as long as it's reasonable? For example could I have a shallow 3x3 cube? Or are mantis' too messy?

I think a 3x3 tank would be cool. Peacocks will jump though so have a lid. Some will use the higher parts of the tank but mine never did.