Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tunze
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/18/2017, 08:18 PM   #1
five.five-six
Registered Member

1073.05 pulling 63 watts at 24V

I'm a little puzzled, I know that a kill-o-watt isn't exactly lab grade testing equipment but I have checked it against meters that are lab grade and it's pretty close. The 18V regulator puts me right at 32 watts and the flow is just about sufficient for my tank but I just want to know if my equipment is functioning correctly.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 08:36 AM   #2
rvitko
RC Sponsor

I use a Kill O Watt here because it is simple and compared to my very expensive Watts App Pro that connects to a computer it is reasonably accurate, usually 2-3W higher not more. My suspicion is that the impeller assembly is partially bound up, the bushings should be secure in the motor and front housing and consist of a silicon rubber sleeve around a ceramic bushing, the shaft of the impeller spins in the bushings and they should not be stuck together or loose from there sockets.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 09:14 AM   #3
five.five-six
Registered Member

Slightly off subject but I noticed that turning the little knob didn't effect power consumption on either the 1073.05 or the 6505's. I'm assuming that the best practice is to use the smallest regulator chip that meets my flow volume needs because changeing the regulator chip had a profound influence on wattage.

I'll inspect the pump.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 09/19/2017, 09:18 AM   #4
rvitko
RC Sponsor

Do you possibly have the Kill O Watt set to record a peak draw instead of real time? You should see a drop with the potentiometer, I see that on mine when I test pumps and it is substantial. I suspect something is wrong with the Kill O Watt or a setting is the cause. I know on mine I can set it to record the peak and hold it instead of showing actual real time draw.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2017, 09:26 AM   #5
five.five-six
Registered Member

The pumps are fairly recent, I have another meter that meters power factor as well, I'll check it out.

"I hate that hole"