Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2008, 01:13 PM   #1
nattydread
Registered Member

Bubble algae outbreak. Moving to defcon 1.

Ive been getting more and more in the last 6 months. I have all forms of it.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.php

I've come to the realization that I must take a more aggresive approach now, or risk losing control. Its allready encroaching on my zoa's and its going to get worst.

Mt system is about 1 yr old. My nitrates have steadily climbed. Ive tried changing my feeding habits, changing the lighting cycle. My water is 0 tds and I have a ton of flow. I perform about a 10% water change every week. I also run carbon and a phosban reactor.

In the past I have manually removed it. I about to fasten a razor blade to a home made sipoh and go to town on them.

ANy other ideas?

Current Tank Info: 120 Oceanic tech, RK2 controller. Mrc sump. ER rs-180, Geo Kalk reactor w/ aqua medic doser/topoff, vortech x 2, Aquatinics solarflare,Phosban reactor, 40#s tonga, 75# Marco.
nattydread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2008, 02:25 PM   #2
mastou
Registered Member

I had a a bit of bubble algae some years ago, and removed as many as possible by hand the ones I couldn't remove i just punctured with a needle on a stick.

This worked for me but I also had a refugium stuffed with Caulerpa (for competition) several different snails and a couple of hermits which might have grazed down if any spores tried to repopulate my aquarium.

All though they are said to contain spores, it might only be the mature bubbles so maybe puncturing them isn't as big a problem as some people describe.

/Magnus

mastou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2008, 02:38 PM   #3
nattydread
Registered Member

Ive though of adding on a bigger fuge. I guess i have about a 20 gallon one fight now, filled with pods and such.

Ive got an emerald, hermits, snails etc..

I think ive just got to work on my nitrates.

I attached a blade with some putty to a pvc nozzle i fashioned for a siphon. Pretty sure i can pierce em, and scrape em off and get it out this way.

well see.

Current Tank Info: 120 Oceanic tech, RK2 controller. Mrc sump. ER rs-180, Geo Kalk reactor w/ aqua medic doser/topoff, vortech x 2, Aquatinics solarflare,Phosban reactor, 40#s tonga, 75# Marco.
Unread 09/14/2008, 07:08 PM   #4
schneijt
Premium Member

You could try adding another emerald and hope that it may have more of a liking for bubble algae than your current emerald. When I fought bubble algae, the trick was to pull out as much as I could and let my emeralds take care of the smaller bubbles. I never completely got rid of it before I took my tank down, but it got much better with manual removal and stocking a few emeralds in my 75gal. When I get my tank set up again, I'm going to be cooking the rock thoroughly, since I think organics in the live rock may have helped contribute to the problem the first time around.

-Joe

schneijt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2008, 02:00 PM   #5
nattydread
Registered Member

My homemade shank worked nicely. The siphon pulled everything right out when it popped, pierced or scraped the demons off the rock.

I did a 50% water change too.

I also found a pin on my fuge light that was rusting and dripping into the sump!