Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/28/2014, 01:42 PM   #1
cwschoon
Registered Member

LED Recommendation

I am doing a thread search but in the mean time....60 gallon fish, live rock, leathers, mushrooms, bubble nem....I am considering a switch from T5 to LED and would appreciate any advice -brand, how "much" do I need, etc.-. Am initially impressed with Current USA Orbit Marine and am also looking at Marineland LED.
Thanks.

Last edited by cwschoon; 11/28/2014 at 01:55 PM.
cwschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 09:39 AM   #2
oscarinw
Registered Member

I have heard that reefbreeders are really good. Look into those as well as they are suppose to be a good bang for your buck

oscarinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 10:54 AM   #3
cwschoon
Registered Member

I looked at the site and am impressed. Still in the research mode!

Unread 12/18/2014, 09:53 PM   #4
jrkonzelman
Registered Member

Rapid led onyx fixture!

jrkonzelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 09:57 PM   #5
FlyfisherDan
Registered Member

I have a Current USA Orbit on my 55gal and love it. Ricordeas and other mushrooms are growing great. Xenia, clove polyps and most of my zoas are doing really good. I have a couple of frags of "hard stuff" at the top of my rocks, but their growth rate is undetermined as of yet. I really like the ramp up/down for sunrise and sunset and the adjustable intensities. What I don't like....they do not provide a way to hang it, so it has to rest on the edge of the tank. It would be nice if they made it a full spectrum, but the colors are still pretty nice.
I will be moving everything into a 65gal soon because that has a sump and my 55 doesn't and the 65 is deeper. With that being said, I will probably move into some kind of LED pendant fixture with more power to reach further into the depths, although I could run 2 36/48 Orbit fixtures. That might be a little cheaper and I already know what to expect.

FlyfisherDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2014, 09:14 AM   #6
cwschoon
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback Dan. Your tank seems similar to mine! My understanding is that the AquaticLife Edge LED is a better unit, in a similar price range. My 60 is 20" deep.