Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/25/2017, 03:04 PM   #1
Joseph_Piquette
Registered Member

Almost done initial cycle, what fish?

Hi everyone, I own a 6 foot 75g built into a wall, currently running with 2 aquaclear 110s and i plan on getting a sunsun canister just for a little mechanical. I currently have 40lbs of live rock, and I plan on getting a protein skimmer before i turn the aquarium into a reef.

I am totally new to saltwater fishkeeping but i am moderate to advanced in my knowledge in freshwater fishkeeping.

My ammonia is currently 0 and my nitrates test and my nitrates tested 0, but I estimate the nitrates to still be around 0.5 or maybe 1.

I'm going to give my tank another week before buying anything but it has been cycling for two whole months. I just want to get prepared because the nearest FS from me is an hour away.

I was thinking on getting two black Clownfish or maybe a Goby, or maybe even a brown tang. Maybe a few invertebrates too.

I am not broke, but I am not a big believer on spending more than 100$ on a fish. So what do you guys think?

Joseph_Piquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Nerayan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph_Piquette View Post
Hi everyone, I own a 6 foot 75g built into a wall, currently running with 2 aquaclear 110s and i plan on getting a sunsun canister just for a little mechanical. I currently have 40lbs of live rock, and I plan on getting a protein skimmer before i turn the aquarium into a reef.

I am totally new to saltwater fishkeeping but i am moderate to advanced in my knowledge in freshwater fishkeeping.

My ammonia is currently 0 and my nitrates test and my nitrates tested 0, but I estimate the nitrates to still be around 0.5 or maybe 1.

I'm going to give my tank another week before buying anything but it has been cycling for two whole months. I just want to get prepared because the nearest FS from me is an hour away.

I was thinking on getting two black Clownfish or maybe a Goby, or maybe even a brown tang. Maybe a few invertebrates too.

I am not broke, but I am not a big believer on spending more than 100$ on a fish. So what do you guys think?
Hi there. I'm new to saltwater as well. From what I've read on here clown fish are the default guys to go for when first stocking up. I introduced my CUC after a little water change, then clown fish.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nerayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 03:51 PM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I think its all personal preference and should be inline with your overall goals to your tank..
FWIW I have this in an 80G tank so far..
1 x Kole Tang (good algae eater/active swimmer/friendly)
1 x Leopard Wrasse - female (neat creature to watch hunt for pods,etc..)
1 x Cleaner Wrasse
1 x Starry Blenny (cool personality.. goofy and fun)
1 x Firefish

I'd recommend hitting up liveaquaria and browsing their fish sections/reading/learning as a good place to start learning about whats reef safe,etc..

Unread 08/25/2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Joseph_Piquette
Registered Member

Thanks guys, ill try looking on liveaquaria. And I kinda love the look of that firefish as well.

Unread 08/25/2017, 06:35 PM   #5
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I'd recommend hitting up liveaquaria and browsing their fish sections/reading/learning as a good place to start learning about whats reef safe,etc..
This^^^^^ Also you may want to reconsider the canister filter. Unless you are extremely religious about cleaning it constantly they can become nitrate factories.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2017, 07:14 PM   #6
monkeysee1
Registered Member

You're converting into a reef?? Get ONLY reef safe fish then. This means you CAN'T have Butterflies, Triggers, Certain Wrasses, some Angelfish and most Puffers.
You want to have a peaceful community, aggressive, or semi-aggressive? Decide what you want first.
I love Kole Tangs, and I love my Scopas - any small Zebrasoma one would be nice for a tank your size. An Acanthurus surgeon tang (like a Powder Blue or Hippo) would be too big.
Clownfish??? My two are little sh----ts. NOT as lovable as they appear to be!
Like mcgyvr said - do your homework on fish COMPATIBILITY.
One fish per 8-10 GALLONS is a good stocking rule.
I get my live stock from BLUE ZOO. Never had an issue with them.

Quote:
Also you may want to reconsider the canister filter. Unless you are extremely religious about cleaning it constantly they can become nitrate factories.
Yep. Get a sump with a filter sock instead!
I have my skimmer set in my sump - and I have a reactor on the side next to it for GFO.

One more thing if you want to go reef: make SURE your flow and lighting are up to snuff!!

Last edited by monkeysee1; 08/25/2017 at 07:28 PM.
monkeysee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 09:17 AM   #7
Joseph_Piquette
Registered Member

Wow, thanks for the advice, I do have a 20 gallon long i could place underneath the stand. I would need to make a hole in the drywall. Although i could mcguiver a hob to spill into a sort of filter sock or even a thin sponge that is easily removable.
I find that funny that your clownfish are little buggers.

Im not quite sure what the peaceful and agressive fish are yet but ill do some research on that.

Unread 08/26/2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Hal
Registered Member

Clownfish are often a good choice for first fish. They are relatively hearty and unless it is a maroon clown, usually friendly.

Some butterflies and triggers are reef safe.

I recommend that you plan out your final wish list of all fish that you want in the tank, then add them in the order of least aggressive to most aggressive.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2017, 11:20 AM   #9
JTL
Registered Member

I have a pair of bonded B/W clowns and they are good reef fish, always together and out in the open water. I also have a black cap basslet and a royal gramma, they tend to hide more except for feeding time. I am going to get an african midas blenny once they are in season and a purple fire fish. That will about complete my fish stocking. I am trying to concentrate more on coral with just enough fish to keep it interesting.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish advice