Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/01/2018, 03:13 PM   #5901
this is me
Registered Member

That's encouraging and good to hear Carrot.
Is that avatar a picture of it?

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 06:22 PM   #5902
carrots
Registered Member

Thanks Nick. My avatar is a regal I got about two years ago from a LFS. when I got her she was about 1.5 inches. Now she is about 3.75 inches. Photo was from a year ago.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2018, 08:29 PM   #5903
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

I am happy for you. That is great news.

Pinkskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2018, 05:28 PM   #5904
bidny
Registered Member

Happy to report the the 3" regal I picked up from Diver's Den has been doing very well. Eating pretty much anything at this point: pellets, frozen, liquid, flakes. It's in quarantine for the time being.

Use your reef to educate others on the fragility of the world's oceans. By saving the oceans, we can save the planet.

Current Tank Info: 90g Oceanic Tech Tank, 2x Ecotech Vortech MP40wES, Reef Octopus Extreme 160, 2x Deluxe BRS Reactor, 2x Laguna Max-Flo 900, 2x 250w Eheim Jager Heater, 29g Sump/Refugium, 2x Ecotech Radion XR30w Pro G3, Reef Angel Plus Controller
bidny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 04:42 AM   #5905
OrionN
Moved on

I am happy to report that I am back in Regal Angels keeping. I got two baby Regal from Alton about 10 days ago. Both are doing great in my 320 DT. Still in the rock work mostly but swim out fairly often. The two tangs did not give them much grieve. The smaller of the two got a small piece of the tail missing but healing well. They are eating well. The larger of the two still take a run at the smaller on on occasion, but she evade it easily. I never did see any contact or injury from these interaction. Here are pictures of the two and a better picture of the smaller one. Still trying to get a better picture of the larger one.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2018, 06:33 PM   #5906
OrionN
Moved on

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 05/08/2018, 08:04 PM   #5907
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

Very nice! Making me want to hurry up and get one. Putting them straight to dt, dont you worry they may have flukes?

Unread 05/09/2018, 08:54 AM   #5908
alton
Registered Member

Since Minh must be busy I will answer your question,’the fish came from my office tank. All my fish before going into qt/ office tank get a 10 to 20 minute fw bath and then a hour or two prazi Pro bath. I have never lost a fish following this method, I have lost fish not using the fw bath.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2018, 11:35 AM   #5909
Pinkskunk
Registered Member

10-20 mins FW bath? isnt that extreme? i did mine for 9 mins and the fish almost die when i put him back. what is the dosage for your Prazi bath? 1 teaspoons/20gal?

Unread 05/09/2018, 11:50 AM   #5910
OrionN
Moved on

I don't add sick fish to my DT other than ones that have Ich or Lymphocystis (these will just resolve on their own in my tank.
Other than that I don't treat my fish unless I diagnose the problem. I don't prophylactic treat my fishes either. I do have cleaner shrimp and make sure the fish are healthy and not stressed. Often I have them in QT system, If they doing well there, they just go to my DT.

These Regal came from Alton, very healthy and well adjust to aquarium condition and eating well. They went directly to my DT

Unread 05/09/2018, 02:14 PM   #5911
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkskunk View Post
10-20 mins FW bath? isnt that extreme? i did mine for 9 mins and the fish almost die when i put him back. what is the dosage for your Prazi bath? 1 teaspoons/20gal?
On the Prazi .5 ml to 2 gallons as recommended. I do not add anything in my QT, unless the fish starts looking bad. Which I have not had an issue with regals or my Blueface. I am like Minh you don't add chemicals to your fishes water for no reason. I have seen post that make statements if you over use medicines, fish don't seem to last as long. Similar to a human using antibiotics all the time causing C.diff.
The first time I placed an expensive Redsea regal in a freshwater bath I freaked out, but he did not mind it. The reason for the 20 minute statement was I had a redsea regal that loved freshwater. Swam around and actually spit water at me. And in QT if I didn't feed him would start spitting till I fed. Ended up not pairing with another regal so my LFS received a very nice regal. I believe most fish today are lost due to flukes, and I believe there are flukes that are immune to prazi. If a fish in FW goes ballistic, then remove him and maybe acclimate to FW. Some lay on their side which I put back upright, others like Minhs juveys acted like nothing was wrong. For me i have lost too many fish that where not FW bathed.

Unread 05/09/2018, 07:12 PM   #5912
carrots
Registered Member

My Regal came in very thin and with flukes. I fresh water dipped it before putting it in a QT. Afterwards there was only a few dead flukes in the bag. After getting the fish to eat, I started a treatment. I have now done two rounds of ProziPro and still haven't been able to rid this fish of them. There has been a fluke hanging on the tail fin for over a week. I was surprised that even after the second round of treatment it is still hanging on. I'm going to try another fresh water dip and then move the regal to a new QT. Maybe try hypo-salinity next.

carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 08:57 AM   #5913
harley3ky
Registered Member

Ok guys, I have been following this thread for a while and I have finally decided to take the leap. I just ordered 2 Regals. I have a friend that has a store and he sells to me at cost & shipping. I think the juvenile is a yellow belly and the small one is not. I think I should be picking them up tomorrow and getting them home for QT. I'm going to follow Alton's FW bath & Prazi method but I am nervous as heck and I feel weird for being nervous over a fish.

Any tips or advice you guys want to throw at me? I'm gonna go pick up some extra PVC elbows on the way home for more hiding places in the QT.

harley3ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 11:01 AM   #5914
saf1
Registered Member

Fenner has a good write up on the Wet Web Media site on fresh water dips with Methylene Blue use. I typically don't do fresh water dips but I did recently with a new tang that I couldn't QT and it worked flawlessly. If you search on it you will see they clarify dip and bath which gets to the 5 minute vs. longer. He states that the Methylene Blue is a good oxygenating dye which is why I used it with the dip. To me it made sense. Results, well, I couldn't be happier. Your mileage may vary but that is one of the more reliable sources I found and Mr. Fenner hasn't steered me wrong before.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2018, 12:01 PM   #5915
harley3ky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Fenner has a good write up on the Wet Web Media site on fresh water dips with Methylene Blue use. I typically don't do fresh water dips but I did recently with a new tang that I couldn't QT and it worked flawlessly. If you search on it you will see they clarify dip and bath which gets to the 5 minute vs. longer. He states that the Methylene Blue is a good oxygenating dye which is why I used it with the dip. To me it made sense. Results, well, I couldn't be happier. Your mileage may vary but that is one of the more reliable sources I found and Mr. Fenner hasn't steered me wrong before.
Thank you for that info. I will read that tonight!

Unread 05/10/2018, 03:40 PM   #5916
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley3ky View Post
Thank you for that info. I will read that tonight!
Your welcome, and good luck. There are a lot of people that participate on this sub forum who have great advice and excellent practice of keeping fish. Regardless of cost - so it is one I always watch. I've not purchased from DD but I have from Live Aquaria so I watch both. This actually regal threat has been helpful. Hope to obtain one of these down the road although I may focus on the more affordable pair of Millesteeds instead.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2018, 05:38 AM   #5917
alton
Registered Member

Sorry I should of added I add an air stone in all my baths/dips

Unread 05/13/2018, 04:49 PM   #5918
OrionN
Moved on

The larger of my two Regal angels I got from Alton. Many thanks Alton. Love them.

R side

L side

Unread 05/14/2018, 02:10 PM   #5919
harley3ky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
The larger of my two Regal angels I got from Alton. Many thanks Alton. Love them.

R side

L side
WOW! That is a stunning Regal.

I'm not sure if I am going to be getting mine now or not. Thanks to delays (beyond my control) in getting the order placed it looks like they may have been sold before my guy ordered. I'll know tomorrow. Oh well, if so it will be back to the waiting game.

Unread 05/15/2018, 08:03 AM   #5920
nav jam
Registered Member

Depending on where the fish come from, would determine whether I FW dip my fish. My last Regal came from a shop that saved it for a while so I didn’t QT it. It went into my observation tank for 7-10 days then into my DT as it was fine.

I normally place a new fish in my observation tank with no medication to see how it gets on. I only treat if necessary. My last fish came in with flukes so I put it through a 15 minute FW dip. I normally aim for 10 minutes but keep them in longer if they seem ok. The fish seemed fine and could’ve been in there for 20 but 15 seemed sufficient.

I observed the fish for 5 days, it was fin and colour perfect, eyes were clear, breathing and behaving normally and feeding aggressively. I still gave it another 15 minute FW dip just to be certain.

It’s looking great and ready for my DT

nav jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 06:40 PM   #5921
Rio1969
Registered Member

Good news, today my Regal started eating both Hikari Marine S and PE pellets.

Rio1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2018, 04:10 AM   #5922
nav jam
Registered Member

My bigger Regal

Left side
image4.jpeg

Right side
image5.jpeg

Smaller Regal

Left side
image2.jpg

Right side
image3.jpeg

Unread 05/17/2018, 04:29 AM   #5923
OrionN
Moved on

That is a very nice misbar pair

Unread 05/17/2018, 05:04 AM   #5924
alton
Registered Member

The big question is how do you get two misbars at one time?

Unread 05/20/2018, 06:26 PM   #5925
nav jam
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alton View Post
The big question is how do you get two misbars at one time?
Few months apart. I started with two normal ones that I managed to pair. A misbar came up so I risked it and changed one, resulting in a new pair.

The bigger one then came up a few months later so broke my pair and gambled. It payed off as I managed to pair both misbars.