Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/15/2014, 06:38 AM   #1
Spar
Registered Member

Small leak in side of calfo overflow

I have had a small leak in the side of one of my calfo overflows. it is only about a drop every 30 seconds or so, but is starting to worry me.

given there is almost no pressure at all, could I get away with just putting a layer of silicone over the area where the leak sources, without shutting down my pumps? I would have to shut down my returns for 24 hours if so... not excited about that.

surely the new silicone would hold back the leak and still harden?

any other advice?

Unread 06/15/2014, 12:04 PM   #2
JRR1285
Registered Member

Uncured silicone in your system would be poisonous from what I've read. Could you possibly use an epoxy stick like aquamend or JB water weld?

JRR1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2014, 12:57 PM   #3
pyithar
Registered Member

when my brother called me i had a big leak in the middle portion of my old tank, i was in another country because my dad was hospitalized. which means i was very tired physically and mentally that time. so i told my brother who doesn't know anything about saltwater aquariums to just take care of it. the tank had some lps and soft corals, no fish. he siphoned out the water to the point where water level is below the leaking place. he then siliconed the leaking place. waited an hour and put back in the previously siphoned water. all corals were fine. but i don't know about sps though. i was running activated carbon.

pyithar is offline   Reply With Quote