Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2018, 08:26 AM   #1
irishmarine
Registered Member

Best Automatic Water Change System?

Hi

I’ve a 180 gallon system. Lightly populated with fish

If I was to do a daily AWC, or weekly, what would you recommend in terms of amount per week or two weeks?
(My nitrate and phosphate are almost undetectable)

And what system is the best in terms of quality equipment? The Neptune DOS seems a bit plastic!! And amazon reviews don’t seem great or mixed at best

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 650 (180G), T5 (800w), 2x250 Maxspect Gyre, Refugium
irishmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 09:47 AM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Check out the Genesis Renew. I’ve been using one for years and there is nothing quicker, more accurate and easy to use. While it’s not cheap, nothing beats the Renew when it comes to AWC. You can change out 1-99 gallons a day, week or continuous and it will change out a gallon every 2-3 minutes and never needs calibration or tubing changes.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 06:58 PM   #3
iammrhappy
Registered Member

+1 on genesis

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pizza >
iammrhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 07:06 PM   #4
irishmarine
Registered Member

Where can you buy them?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 650 (180G), T5 (800w), 2x250 Maxspect Gyre, Refugium
Unread 09/16/2018, 07:26 PM   #5
elFloyd
Registered Member

http://genesisreefsystems.com/produc...hange-systems/

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2018, 08:22 PM   #6
irishmarine
Registered Member

Looks great! Not many people really talking about it say compared to a Neptune. Surprised it doesn’t get more coverage

So what’s the advantages of this over the Neptune for example? Considering that the Neptune can adapt into so many other functions?
Not knocking the Genesis at all, it looks awesome

Unread 09/16/2018, 08:36 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmarine View Post
Looks great! Not many people really talking about it say compared to a Neptune. Surprised it doesn’t get more coverage

So what’s the advantages of this over the Neptune for example? Considering that the Neptune can adapt into so many other functions?
Not knocking the Genesis at all, it looks awesome
1 gallon every 2-3 minutes.. No calibration. No tubing to replace. No converting ml to gallons. No programming. If you need to do a large water change, you just push the button to tell it how many gallons to change and hit start. Try doing a large water change with a peristaltic pump and then compare that to a device like the Renew. There is no comparison.

As for why it doesn’t get more coverage, it’s mentioned plenty in threads like this. But also consider it’s close to double the cost of a peristaltic pump and has more complex plumbing requirements. Or maybe it’s just the best kept secret!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 09/16/2018, 08:42 PM   #8
slief
RC Sponsor

Here is part 1 of a 4 part video episode I did on the Renew when installing one on a friends system. You can get to the other parts by clicking the video and viewing it on youtube. Part 1 covers unboxing and an overview of the system. The other parts cover the installation and finally using it.

Unread 09/17/2018, 04:13 AM   #9
irishmarine
Registered Member

This is excellent thanks for breaking it down like that

I do need a robust easy to use system that can do large water changes. I have a 180 gallon system, or 150 display. How many gallons would you suggest changing per month or week or day?

I’ll be totally honest. Life’s been crazy I didn’t do a water change in maybe 8 months or more and when I tested nitrate and phosphate I was expecting it through the roof and both were almost undetectable, the system is well established at least, up and running a few years

So this probably requires an RODI resovoir, Saltwater made resovoir, and a third resovoir for mixing saltwater

Unread 09/17/2018, 10:01 AM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
This is excellent thanks for breaking it down like that

I do need a robust easy to use system that can do large water changes. I have a 180 gallon system, or 150 display. How many gallons would you suggest changing per month or week or day?

I’ll be totally honest. Life’s been crazy I didn’t do a water change in maybe 8 months or more and when I tested nitrate and phosphate I was expecting it through the roof and both were almost undetectable, the system is well established at least, up and running a few years

So this probably requires an RODI resovoir, Saltwater made resovoir, and a third resovoir for mixing saltwater
It doesn't require an RODI reservoir unless you implement some sort of ATO which I would highly recommend. I don't use their Storm ATO solution. I use my Apex and that was also used in the customers install. Their optional Storm ATO makes ATO plug and play and it interfaces directly through the Renew though it does add additional expense. As for the 3rd reservoir, that would only be needed if you don't have a place down stream to route the waste water. Keep in mind that everything needs to siphon from the metering bins which is explained in detail throughout the videos. If you haven't watched all parts of the videos, I would suggest doing so. That way you know exactly what is entailed in the install.

Unread 09/17/2018, 08:11 PM   #11
irishmarine
Registered Member

So what would be the reason to go Neptune or Genesis? It seems the Genesis like you say can move larger volumes, which is good for my 180 gallon system.

So why is all the hype about Neptune? Is there still a place to mix and match and do both or is it one or the other like Mac or PC?

What would be the place or function of Neptune if I go the Genesis way?

Unread 09/17/2018, 08:25 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
So what would be the reason to go Neptune or Genesis? It seems the Genesis like you say can move larger volumes, which is good for my 180 gallon system.

So why is all the hype about Neptune? Is there still a place to mix and match and do both or is it one or the other like Mac or PC?

What would be the place or function of Neptune if I go the Genesis way?
The Neptune DOS is a doser first. Consider that the majority of people have smaller tanks and smaller budgets. DOS is considerably less and appeals to people with smaller tanks and lower budgets when ti comes to AWC. That’s not to say that people who have large systems don’t use the Dos for water changes because some do. I have a Dos but I have a larger tank and for me, being able to do a large water change quickly at the push of a button as well as daily water changes was a consideration. The Dos is a solution that you program to do a set amount and it does it slowly. Try doing 50 gallons with a Dos. I used a Litermeter III before switching to the Renew for this very reason. The Dos is a great solution but for large volume water changes on a larger system where one would want the flexibility of fast water changes when needed coupled with the ability to do automatic daily water changes, it’s not ideal. If you only want a solution to do smaller automatic water changes and plan to do large water changes automatically, then it may be great for you.

Unread 09/17/2018, 09:07 PM   #13
gary504504
Registered Member

Autoaqua awc is easy to use and reasonably priced, and it does water changes and top off BAM!!!

Current Tank Info: 130 gal sps tank
gary504504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 10:10 PM   #14
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary504504 View Post
Autoaqua awc is easy to use and reasonably priced, and it does water changes and top off BAM!!!
The downside to level switch based AWC’s like the AutoAqua is that is does water changes based on a level sensors and in this case an optical level sensor. Water is pulled out for a set interval and then refilled until the sensor is tripped. Level sensors will always very from one trigger to the next and the result is salinity drift over time. The greater the variance the faster the drift. The larger the sump, the less accurate they are and optical sensors are even more prone to variances than mechanical float switches so you need to monitor your sanity with level sensor based AWC’s. That’s one HUGE advantage of the Renew. The metering bins never vary as long as they are level and you will never have salinity drift. That’s not to say that devices like the AutoAqua aren’t worth considering but they have their short comings and limitations so that is just something to consider. But if cost were the driving factor, then that is certainly a good option. For me, the Renew was the best option due to ease of use, speed and accuracy. I could have accomplished the same thing using a couple pumps and my existing levels sensors with my Apex but the Renew offered a fool proof solution that was fast, accurate, gallon based and spot on accurate in and out without ever having to worry about salinity drift or changing programming in an emergency or when I wanted to do a larger continuous water change rather than my regular 5 gallons a day water change. Since I use my controller for my ATO, that wasn’t something I needed to worry about with my AWC so accuracy, speed and ease of use were my biggest concerns.

Last edited by slief; 09/17/2018 at 10:42 PM.
Unread 09/18/2018, 04:07 AM   #15
irishmarine
Registered Member

Build quality is a big concern for me
Everything seems made in China today and plastic I would definitely prefer higher quality pumps, hardware, etc

Unread 09/18/2018, 06:07 PM   #16
irishmarine
Registered Member

Can I just ask, if I buy this with the storm ATO also, are the two systems married or still different?
ie will the drop in water level during the water change trigger the ATO ? Or do they run from the same controller such that the system understands ‘hey I’m not low level in the sump I’m just doing a water change?’

Because if not then why bother with the Genesis Reef Storm?

I shot an email off to them last night and waiting to hear back. If I go that direction I would likely buy both

Do they do Black Friday? Lol could be waiting if they do good deals

Unread 09/18/2018, 06:47 PM   #17
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Can I just ask, if I buy this with the storm ATO also, are the two systems married or still different?
ie will the drop in water level during the water change trigger the ATO ? Or do they run from the same controller such that the system understands ‘hey I’m not low level in the sump I’m just doing a water change?’

Because if not then why bother with the Genesis Reef Storm?

I shot an email off to them last night and waiting to hear back. If I go that direction I would likely buy both

Do they do Black Friday? Lol could be waiting if they do good deals
The Storm is married to the renew when the two are connected to each other. The Storm knows when the Renew is doing a water change & automatically pauses during water changes & will only activate after the water change is complete.

Unread 01/30/2019, 10:51 AM   #18
peter1962
Registered Member

Scott, do you happen to know if Genesis is going to stay USA only, or are there plans to make a european version (240 volt) ?
This seems a very clever system, and to my knowledge there is absolutely no competion in Europe who can deliver an alternative with the same qualities.

Maybe an opportunity for Klaus ?

peter1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 11:48 AM   #19
Fishbulb2
Registered Member

The main reason the Genesis system is likely not used more is just because of space. Logically, I think it's a lot better designed than any other option and it should be the most trouble free and accurate system.

That said I don't own one. Why? Because there is no way it would fit where my system is. I use a LiterMeter set up in my basement and the tubing runs underneath the entire first floor concealed along the ceiling of a finished basement. A peristaltic pump set up is just the easiest for such an install. If I could go the Genesis route, I would do that in a heartbeat. Less calibrating and more consistent.

FB

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon tank. SPS, LPS, few softies
Fishbulb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2019, 12:05 PM   #20
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter1962 View Post
Scott, do you happen to know if Genesis is going to stay USA only, or are there plans to make a european version (240 volt) ?
This seems a very clever system, and to my knowledge there is absolutely no competion in Europe who can deliver an alternative with the same qualities.

Maybe an opportunity for Klaus ?
I really have no idea on a EU Version of the Renew. I think that it would be a doable thing for Genesis but the problem is the cost to create it in 220v and the limited sales potential. I will do some digging and see if they have an EU option but you could always use a step down converter for the controller and pair it with the US pumps.

Unread 12/04/2020, 12:35 PM   #21
aakinego
Registered Member

Any idea on what is going on with genesis reef systems? I ordered a week ago and have yet to get a response back or a shipping notice.

aakinego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2020, 09:59 AM   #22
L8Braker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakinego View Post
Any idea on what is going on with genesis reef systems? I ordered a week ago and have yet to get a response back or a shipping notice.
Have you emailed them? The've always been very quick to reply to me.

L8Braker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2020, 11:54 AM   #23
Pokerman11
Registered Member

~18mths ago I went to tractor supply and got two large water holding tanks. Set them up in my basement as a mixing station. One is where I make RO/DI water and the other mix. Ran three 1/4inch RO pipes and the Neptune link cable thru my house HVAC vent up to where my display tank is. Two are used for the AWC and the thrird ATO. Neptune DOS and ATOv2 pump down in the basement. I actually bought two ATOv2 (black Friday deal) and use the extra sensors to monitor levels at my mixing station. That and I've a spare ATO pump (I read these things go bad over time.)

Yes these Neptune DOS things are LOUD. NO way do I want them up by my tank. Yet in the basement - I don't care.

I followed the guys at BRS recommendation on 3% water changes per day for first year then 2% per day. Right now I turn my entire take once per month.

My storage tanks are the same size as my DT. Thus I have a once a month maintenance routine to make salt.

I run my tank with bare bottom. In 18mths I've not touched a single bucket of water. The Neptune DOS is 100% spot on accurate and I can't be more pleased

I set up my first reef in 1993, and I have to say this AWC setup, while expensive is the best thing I've ever done. I was ready to get out of the hobby due to the W/C needs.

Last edited by Pokerman11; 12/16/2020 at 12:00 PM.
Pokerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote