Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2011, 06:53 PM   #1
miserkris
Registered Member

Question Blue ochtodes not blue in my 20 g fuge!

I have 2 frags of blue ochtodes the size of 2x3".

They aren't blue, just grey and light blue on some areas....

I have 2x24w white and purple t5s.

Does it need actinic lighting to show some good blue?
Thx

Current Tank Info: 156 g mixed reef
miserkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2011, 10:38 AM   #2
djkms
Fish Freak

Blue ochtodes is not a blue macro. They really need to change the name to purple ochtodes because that is the color. I'm thinking a gray color means a lack of light.

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/16/2011, 07:50 PM   #3
miserkris
Registered Member

Does actinic or purple t5 bulbs do *anything* to caulerpa and other red macros?

Or is it a waste running them along with a day light (white t5s)?
Pls advice, thx

Unread 05/16/2011, 09:59 PM   #4
seafd
Registered Member

460nm is typically what you are looking for from a t5 for photosynthesis, which would be a blue colored bulb. Purple is typically used for the colors it produces. Daylight bulbs can be good with macros also.

seafd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2011, 01:38 PM   #5
andythorntonjr
Registered Member

I just got some ochtodes from the recent frag swap in the area and just posted some "update" photos in the local forum here for the club. This might help reassure you somewhat. When I first got the algae, it was not very colorful, more a rusty red/brown. I am running straight power compact lights (96 or 98w, 10k/actin) in a Coralife 36" hood. Less than a month later, the octodes has colored out (and I think grown a bit), showing a nice deep purple color under 'daylight'.

Ochtodes change.jpg

Hope this helps somewhat in what to expect!

andythorntonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2011, 02:35 PM   #6
miserkris
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythorntonjr View Post
I just got some ochtodes from the recent frag swap in the area and just posted some "update" photos in the local forum here for the club. This might help reassure you somewhat. When I first got the algae, it was not very colorful, more a rusty red/brown. I am running straight power compact lights (96 or 98w, 10k/actin) in a Coralife 36" hood. Less than a month later, the octodes has colored out (and I think grown a bit), showing a nice deep purple color under 'daylight'.

Attachment 149481

Thx for the info....

Will it look blue only under some combination that involves an actinic or will it eventually turn blue even under daylight alone ?

Reason is I right now have it and other macro under 2x24w t5 10k/purple. Wonder if I should replace purple with actinic?

Thanks!

Unread 05/24/2011, 04:02 PM   #7
miserkris
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andythorntonjr View Post

Attachment 149481

Thx for the info....

Will it look blue only under some combination that involves an actinic or will it eventually turn blue even under daylight alone ?

Reason is I right now have it and other macro under 2x24w t5 10k/purple. Wonder if I should replace purple with actinic?

Thanks!

Unread 04/10/2013, 10:28 AM   #8
NMETCALF
Registered Member

Macro algae responds to light similar to other plants. White light only is good for seeing the tank, blues and reds are what gets then to grow. If you want a super healthy fast growing refugium that really brings out the colors of the macros, then you could do something like what I have. I use a 240w red blue and orange led fixture above my refugium, and I have to pull out the overgrowth every week. I have about 7 kinds if macros in there, and they are all going crazy. Of course having the right nutrients present in your water is a big part of their growth and color.
If you aren't getting te color you want in your macros, then you should make sure you have enough fish waste to supply their nutrients, and add red and blue colors to your lighting spectrum. Purple isn't the best for them as it can contain uv rays which will age any plants and cause them to die sooner.

Current Tank Info: 200g reef, 50g refugium. I also have about 6 other tanks going at the moment.
NMETCALF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2013, 05:21 PM   #9
AtomicMonster
Registered Member

Where do I get lights like that?

AtomicMonster is offline   Reply With Quote