Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2018, 07:00 PM   #1
gonereefing654
Registered Member

Exclamation Need advice on how to literally clean poison from tank

Hello, hoping for some good advice here with a potentially bad problem.
So I getting ready to tear down my 120 tank to replace it with a glass tank. (Also I really need a aqua scape remodel)
In preparation for this I bought a couple 20 gal tanks used from LFS that going out of business. I built a double high stand in my garage for the 2 tanks with room under for a sump also.
I had this setup running great until one of my unsupervised 7 yo twin boys decide to make their own addition to the system. One of them tossed a container of amoro ant blocker (it’s this granular ant killer stuff that actually works good for ants ) i wasn’t open but I know it got in the water because the container filled with water. Apparently the active ingredient is Hydramethylnon 0.88%.
My question here is how would you guys try and clean this??? Is it possible to feel ok about this setup again??? Should I just be tossing the hole thing out??? (The setup, not the kids)
Any advice would be great.
Thanks

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 07:12 PM   #2
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

I doubt if anything is seriously wrong. You could run carbon do a 100% water change if it makes you feel better. Or tear them down, clean with bleach and fill back up.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 11:03 PM   #3
gonereefing654
Registered Member

Thanks I’m thinking the bleach route and running carbon for a while after.
Maybe cycle it with a damsel like a canary before I put all my corals and fish I care about in.

Unread 02/13/2018, 12:11 AM   #4
tkeracer619
Registered Member

As far as poisons go it's pretty mild unless you're an ant or a roach. LD50 on rats is like 1000mg/kg.

I would just do a water change and run carbon. I doubt anything will come of it.

Bleach oxidized organics. I don't see what it would do for poisoned rocks.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 03:08 AM   #5
gonereefing654
Registered Member

Thanks again for the advice. Fingers crossed my new tank will be here in 2weeks so I’ve got to get this thing going so I can start braking down my 120

Unread 02/23/2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Hal
Registered Member

Glass and silicon absorb very little. That's why glass at least, is used in every chemistry lab ever.

A surface cleaning of the tank should be sufficient. Running carbon is just icing on the cake.

I'm unclear what your rock status is. Rock can absorb nasties.

Current Tank Info: 250g starphire: 72x28x30, BeanAnimal drain with an oversized non-durso emergency drain, 4 inch DSB, 3x Reefbreeders Value LED fixtures, SWC/MSX 300A skimmer, Geo kalk reactor, 3 Vortechs w/bb, carbon reactor, and a RKL
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 04:51 PM   #7
Sk8r
RC Mod

Rock and sand---I'd discard. If glass, I'd fill and empty several times plus run PolyFilter to see if it's picking up any residue. I've looked up the chemical and gotten nothing specific: apparently it can get into water, which is why I recommend the soak and flush---and I'd also add a heater to the water and elevate the temperature to 85: chemistry moves faster at higher temperatures, and if it's going to go into the water, that would encourage it. You might also ask Bertoni in the Chemistry forum. Maybe the lads can help you fill and empty.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/07/2018, 04:47 PM   #8
gonioporagirl
Registered Member

I would do a 100% water change just to be safe, but of course you don't have to do that big of a water change. You don't need to ditch the whole system. Many people use insect killer to actually dip corals, so a tiny bit of it isn't a big deal

gonioporagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 10:07 PM   #9
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonioporagirl View Post
I would do a 100% water change just to be safe, but of course you don't have to do that big of a water change. You don't need to ditch the whole system. Many people use insect killer to actually dip corals, so a tiny bit of it isn't a big deal
Well, we use a very specific type of pesticide that attacks the nervous system and since corals don't have one of those it doesn't hurt them. It will wreck your system if it made it into the actual display.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 10:54 PM   #10
Dsekula
Registered Member

Hydramethylnon is listed as insoluble in water so while I'd take some precautions it seems unlikely that it would really get in the tank if the package was still closed.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote