Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2009, 09:52 AM   #76
edandsandy
Registered Member

TY

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
edandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 10:08 AM   #77
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

YW

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 11:47 AM   #78
dazed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
From other threads, I have read where some hobbyists were dosing carbon sources, running GFO and GAC, while dosing AlgaeFix. Some claimed success and a couple felt that the vodka dosing was interfering.

Personally, I have stopped sugar dosing, GAC and GFO while I have been dosing Algae fix because of the statement by Randy, which I quoted earlier in this thread.

I would say if you like, try dosing it with whatever and see what kind of results you get. I would be interested to hear about your results however you decide to do it.

IME, regarding your skimmer, you may see an increase, but nothing out of the ordinary to deal with. I would recommend following the label directions.
Thanks for the information i can put off the carbon dosing if it interferes with the algaefix, i may remove my tlf reactor with the carbon as well but if the product only lasts 24 hours in the tank not sure how much of a difference it would make. The directions are vague at best it gives a dosing recommendation and that's about it as their is no mention of removing carbon,gfo etc. it does state it will not cause foaming and that's about it. Dosing every 3 days so my next dose is due tomorrow.

Current Tank Info: 100g with 30g sump. Lighting: Aquactinics MH/T5 (2) 175w Iwasaki 15k & giesemann t5 bulbs (1) Aqua Blue + & (1) pure actinic. Flow (2) Tunze 6101 w/7095 controller. Skimmer Msx 160, RK2
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2009, 11:53 AM   #79
dazed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pIankton
Dazed - I ran carbon the whole time as well as my skimmer too. No problems. I have heard that people dosing vodka while using this product had less than desirable effects - to the point where they stopped dosing the Algaefix due to poor polyp extension and just plain bad health of their corals.

HTH.
Interesting i will monitor the tank and see how it goes, it is a mixed reef with sps,lps and some softies as well.

Current Tank Info: 100g with 30g sump. Lighting: Aquactinics MH/T5 (2) 175w Iwasaki 15k & giesemann t5 bulbs (1) Aqua Blue + & (1) pure actinic. Flow (2) Tunze 6101 w/7095 controller. Skimmer Msx 160, RK2
Unread 04/11/2009, 07:50 AM   #80
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

dazed,

Good luck with your dosing. Keep us posted with your results.

Unread 04/11/2009, 12:15 PM   #81
rtecanoe
Premium Member

I've been following this thread along and wanted to pass along my experience. I've done about 5 doses, and it has definitely helped a bad algae problem. Throughout the treatment I still ran my skimmer, gfo and carbon, but the Algae fix still seemed to work for me. I have not seen any ill effects on fish or corals. The only drawback so far is that it has all but killed off my chaeto that I have had for several years. I do still have a few tufts of hair algae, but nothing compared to what I had before, and I do have a bit of a cyano outbreak right now. Just wondering, would killing off a rather large amount of algae in a tank over a fairly short period of time raise phosphates in the tank at the same time by the die off?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reef
rtecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 03:49 PM   #82
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

rtecanoe,

Glad you shared your experience with the AlgaeFix Marine. I assume you are using the Marine product?

The manufacturer states that AlgaeFix Marine will slow down the growth of chaeto and macroalgae, but should not kill it. Why your chaeto is being affected may be do to the AlgaeFix or perhaps other factors are coming into play. Chaeto will suffer (but should not die) from lack of iron and if your nitrate/phosphates are extremely low, IME. You are the first hobbyist that I am aware of that has had chaeto die while dosing AlgaeFix Marine.

Nitrates and phosphates are taken in by algae as it multiplies. If the algae dies and the dead parts are not removed, then the dead parts will brake down into nitrate and phosphate, simply stated. If your nitrate and phosphate increases, then I would recommend taken appropriate actions to lower them.

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 04/11/2009 at 04:20 PM.
Unread 04/11/2009, 08:51 PM   #83
rtecanoe
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply Cliff. It is the AlgaeFix Marine that I'm using. I think its probably a combination of factors that seems to have killed off my chaeto, like you have said previously, its really only a guessing game trying to figure out cause and effect in our reef tanks. While using the Algaefix, I have also been doing more water changes than usual, have been skimming heavier and have been using more GFO and changing it more often. These have (hopefully) made my phosphates very low which could be a factor also. I have done the water change/gfo/skimming increase before without the Algaefix and it never had any negative effect on my chaeto, thats why it would seem to me the Algaefix would be a contributing factor in the dying of my chaeto. It basically is just crumbling away. I am by no means an expert on much of anything, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt, I didn't mean in my previous post to definitively say the AlgaeFix was completely to blame for my Chaeto dying! If I was that good a reefer, I wouldn't be having this problem with algae in the first place!! All in all though, even if it did take out my chaeto, I would consider it a very favorable trade in that it has taken care of most of my algae problem, I can always buy more chaeto!!

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reef
rtecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2009, 08:58 PM   #84
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

It does sound to me that the AlgaeFix is the likely suspect. I was just confirming some of the information. I agree, I would trade off the loss of Chaeto to rid my algae problem also. I am particularly interested in the successes and problems that hobbyists who have used it experience. Hopefully the AlgaeFix Marine will eradicate your algae.

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 04/11/2009 at 09:10 PM.
Unread 04/12/2009, 10:34 AM   #85
iamwrasseman
Registered Member

i used it and will continue to weekly dose as it totally erradicated the HA 100%.havent seen any bad side effects yet and im going on three months "bald" !

Dave

Current Tank Info: 40 freshwater,25saltwater 2000 gallons ,enough tanks for an army ?
iamwrasseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2009, 03:52 PM   #86
dazed
Registered Member

Quote:
dazed,

Good luck with your dosing. Keep us posted with your results.
Small change in plans for me for now i have suspended the dosing in my dt. I only made 2 doses and did not see any change but again it was only 2 doses. The reason i stopped is over the weekend my lfs got in some small sea hare's and i picked one up to try out. I know the bottle says invert safe but i am going to error on the side of caution and guess that the sea hare was not on the list of species tested. I do have a much smaller issue in another tank so i started a dose in there today to see what happens.

Unread 04/13/2009, 06:56 PM   #87
WaterssretaW
Registered Member

Does this work for briopsis too?

Current Tank Info: Coral only with Live Rock
WaterssretaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 08:26 AM   #88
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Since Algaefix is a broadspectrum biocide, I would hope it would work on bryopsis. I have not read about anyone trying it on briopsis at this point.

Unread 04/14/2009, 09:26 AM   #89
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

I'm afflicted with hair algae, bryopsis, and cyano all at the same time. Something must've died in my tank but I haven't found the corpse.

I'm ordering some AlgaeFix Marine today, I'll let y'all know how it does against bryopsis.

Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 09:39 AM   #90
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Yogre,

I very happy that you will be sharing your experience with us. AlgaeFix Marine is most effective when you have low levels of phosphate & nitrate. What levels are you running now? Physically removing & siphoning as much of your pests as possible is more effect when dosing AlageFix. I am curious if you are running GFO or GAC & dosing any carbons (vodka, sugar, vinegar) also?

Unread 04/14/2009, 10:14 AM   #91
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Cliff,

I just got done checking PO4 and NO3 levels, funny you should ask!

PO4 is not detectable, but I'm using an API kit which has as its lowest reading 0.25. I need a kit that reads lower or a photometer... Nitrate is low (<5ppm) but definitely not zero. Again, the API kit I have is limiting, it's really hard to tell what it reads at low levels, lowest reading is 5 ppm.

The tank is less than 6 months old, so I know that some of what I'm seeing is just "new tank syndrome". I'm running both GAC and GFO, but not dosing any carbon source.

I siphoned a bunch of the cyano out yesterday, and one of my Caribbean sea cucumbers is having a field day eating green algae off the sand. I had a fair number of snails at one point, but a couple of marauding wennerae mantis have reduced their numbers.

Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 10:46 AM   #92
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

If you can get your test kit readings to zero for both nitrate and phosphate with the cheaper test kits, I find this is really all you need. This will help IME when dealing with algae type problems along with fish.....etc, that will eat it.

If your phosphate level is as high as 2.5, then you may need to replace your GFO fairly often (maybe every three to four days) until the levels reach zero. At that point you can increase the time period before you change the GFO.

To reduce both your nitrate and phosphate levels, dosing a carbon source is effective IME. This will take time to see results.

I am particularly interested in the affects of AlgaeFix Marine on Bryopsis. Keep us posted.

Unread 04/16/2009, 07:23 AM   #93
jrw
Registered Member

I am on my third dose of AlgaeFix today to eliminate an ongoing hair algae problem.

My PO4 was reading zero as well as zero Nitrates. I did not know what else to try and gave this a shot. I'm always a little skeptical using any of these products, but giving the results some have had I thought I would give it a try.

It is working as well as others have described here. It is almost gone, and I will begin to retest for phosphates and nitrates now that the hair algae is not there to consume what might have been there before.

Thanks to everyone that mentioned this product here and for those brave souls willing to try it out and give their feedback.

jrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 08:33 AM   #94
THE ROOK
Registered Member

Sweet, just ordered some yesterday. Glad to hear that it works.

THE ROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 10:06 AM   #95
sanababit
Registered Member

Great info guys, i just started getting a little hair algae and i want to nip this thing in the butt before it gets out of hand, the thing is that i am mostly SPS and i am worried about it affecting them, i run GFO, carbon and skimmer, i am going to try it with everything running, i will keep you guys posted and this is the tank i am going to nuke:

Here is a patch of it that has gotten out of control

sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
sanababit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2009, 10:38 AM   #96
edandsandy
Registered Member

Well we just dosed our 6th dose today.

We noticed that some of our LPS babies are not doing well, we lost a small Blood Red Blastomussa maybe 3 small polyps, and a Red and Green Blastomussa 2 small polyps, we also lost a small blood chalice..
We also noticed that our large Open Brain (Cynarina Deshayesiana) it is about 7"-8" round is not happy when we dose. It starts to shrivel up and leave it's mouth open for a day and also noticed some brown waste is being excreted.

Our 2 Marble Starfish just stay in place for the whole day when we dose, and are LARGE snails look like they burrow them selfs into the sand. We even noticed the snail look a little shriveled up the day of dosing.

Where we are pulling the GHA out of the tank, it is starting to grow back, UGH!

We have notice a few new clumps starting in other areas of the tank as well.
In the sumps where I removed the GHA it has not come back, and the small clumps of GHA are growing nice and green....

Makes me wonder if I'm not doing something wrong or is it just me needing more time for the product to work........

Our tank is 375g total volume (we used the RC calculator), we are dosing 37mls........

We are not running carbon, we ARE running HC GFO from BRS......
We normally turn the skimmer off for appx. 30 minutes when we dose, so it doesn't go nuts.

Let me know what you think............

Current Tank Info: 375 Reef, 4) Radion LED lights X30 pro, Apex Fusion, Octo Regal 300 E Skimmer, GEO 618 Calcium Reactor 2) Reeflo Snapper pumps, 2)50g refugium, 2) MP 40's
Unread 04/16/2009, 11:51 AM   #97
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

jrw & sanababit,

Nice of you to share your experiences with the AlgaeFix Marine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

edandsandy,

I am sorry to hear of the negative effects from the AlgaeFix.

One possible reason for this IMHO, would be if you are adding all 37 mls. at one time. Possibly this amount added at one time is too much regarding the slow dispersal through out your water column. Perhaps adding the 37 mls in smaller increments over the course of a day would have less negative affect on your coral. The directions on the AlgaeFix Marine label leave quite a bit to desire, IMHO.

Unread 04/16/2009, 12:06 PM   #98
edandsandy
Registered Member

How does everyone dose,
all at once or through out the day?
we dose through the sump, the pumps (yes, 2 of them) we use are reef snappers, we are moving a TON of water through the system

Unread 04/16/2009, 12:18 PM   #99
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I have dosed mine all at once, but the amount you are adding to your system is significantly higher. Even if you have a large pump, the actual AlgaeFix can reach your corals still fairly concentrated. That's why perhaps dosing in maybe three doses over the course of the day may help. This is just a guess on my part considering many other hobbyists have not had detrimental effects by the AlgaeFix. To be honest, I can not account for your experience except for this idea.

Unread 04/16/2009, 01:05 PM   #100
edandsandy
Registered Member

Quote:
I have dosed mine all at once, but the amount you are adding to your system is significantly higher. Even if you have a large pump, the actual AlgaeFix can reach your corals still fairly concentrated. That's why perhaps dosing in maybe three doses over the course of the day may help. This is just a guess on my part considering many other hobbyists have not had detrimental effects by the AlgaeFix. To be honest, I can not account for your experience except for this idea.

Cliff,
do you think I have the largest system using this product ?

I know I am only on the 6th dosage, most people are seeing results on the 6th or 7th dose.........
Maybe tomorrow I will see some change in the GHA

I will continue to pull this ugly weed out of the system and continue to use the the product....

However, I'll take your advise and the next time I will break up the dosing and see what happens

I just don't understand why that weed is coming back. UGH!

Thanks again......

I will keep you updated.

Tags
ganjero