Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2014, 11:51 PM   #201
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2manyfish View Post
Slief,

I saw your cousin Dave Bluestein this past weekend. He says hello. I got a new puppy right before Christmas, a 2lb Brussels Griffon named Uke, so I am trying to socialize her and we go to the same dog park.

Hopefully, some new additions to the tank before the weekend.

Dave B
Holy cow!! How is he doing? I rarely talk to him due to some issues between my mom and her sister (his mother). How on earth did my name come up and or how did you make the association between me and him? If you see him, send him my best. It's sad that him and I aren't close. He's a great guy who I wouild really like to catch up with too.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2014, 11:56 PM   #202
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Updates

Well I got busy with the glue and the debit card....

1/2 of my pair of tank raised Onyx clowns.

Pink Millie

Bizarre frag of Oregon Tort I picked up at the Simi Frag Swap, was so weird looking it caught my attention.

One of two Aussie Purple Austera

Bali Wild Colony (no patience to do just frags)

Bali Wild Colony 2(no patience to do just frags)

Blue Stag colony -

Lokani Piece I split in 1/2

Lokani Piece I split in 1/2 (second half)

Current Tank Info: 560g SPS Dominant Reef / 1500g Total System
o2manyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2014, 12:04 AM   #203
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Updates Pt 2

Do you think Dory has been eating well enough? Almost overshadows the little Goldflake I picked up for my birthday yesterday. Need to fatten her up a little. But she is eating well and out and about the tank.

New Baby Purple Tang -- Munching the rock work like crazy

The pair of midnight clowns

This Blasto colony survived everything the tank has been through in the past year. Not really multiplying heads but some are getting large.

This Pink Watchman has been in the tank 2 years. He has always lived on the bottom of the tank but for the past few weeks has been living in the rocks mounted on the back wall of the tank.

Right Side of the Tank

Left side of tank-

Thanks for looking.

Dave B

Unread 01/18/2014, 12:04 AM   #204
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

Thats some pretty stuff!

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2014, 02:11 AM   #205
RJT
Registered Member

Great additions. Tank is coming back to its former glory nicely.

How long have you had the mandarin?

Happy belated bday!!

Unread 01/18/2014, 02:30 AM   #206
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Ingtar - Thank You.

RJT - I have a Xlrg Green Mandarin for about 5+ years. He only grazes occassionally on the far left side of the tank. Since the system crash his head is now white but the rest of his body looks normal. He is almost obese, and is seldom actually out hunting.

I also have the obese target mandarin for about 3.5 to 4 years now.

Yesterday I added a small red mandarin. Last night the target was doing some moderate chasing of the red. Today I spotted the red hanging out under the island twice.

The bottom of the tank (barebottom) in the back and under the rock work has been taken over by thousands upon thousands of tiny feather dusters. I am assuming the pod population just runs amok in this immense feather duster forest. I have tons of rock for the pods as well. But with the feather dusters, there is lots of area under the rocks for the mandarins to hunt without being in view.

The other day I also came across a Janss pipefish that I added over 2.5 years ago and never saw since the day I put him in. And there he was about 5.5" and cruising along the back wall of the tank.

This week I was also lucky enough to get 6 ORA yellow assesors. They went into the tank on Tuesday. They all vanished into the rock work, and tonight the first one appeared swimming upside down at the front of the tank.

Also the miracle baby bangai's outside are doing well. 6 weeks or so ago I caught 1 and put it into the display tank. It vanished. I started out with 11 babies at the time of the crash and there are still 10 large juvenile babies outside. They are hanging out in a group and a couple of feet away there is another group of baby bangai that are much younger. Just spotted them for the first time this week, and only counted 4 so far.

Dave B

Unread 01/18/2014, 02:52 AM   #207
RJT
Registered Member

It's interesting that the mandarins head turned white. To me it shows that once they are established they are very hardy.

Nice reunion with the pipefish. A tank your size that is likely to happen.

Did the yellow assesors come in 1in or less? I tried them twice. They were just too small at .5in.

Great job at raising the bangai babies. I hope you have continued success.

Unread 01/18/2014, 03:00 AM   #208
o2manyfish
Registered Member

RJT - In the past I have kept Mandarins over 12 years. I have always kept my tanks heavily rocked and the Mandarins thrive.

The pipefish was a surprise. I had some of the little blue pipefish for years that would appear randomly but vanish for months at a time.

One of my 2 Dragon Faced pipes survived the crash, and it's been in the tank for 4 years now.

The ORA yellow assesors are close to 2". Nice sized ones.

The Baby Bangai I have done nothing to raise. They are in a tomato bin sump outside filled with live rock. They hang out above some 12" green bulb anemones. There are several pairs of clowns, the pair of bangai and some tangs in the tank. I don't feed the outdoor tank at all. Everything out there survives off algae or pods.

Dave B

Unread 01/18/2014, 03:30 AM   #209
RJT
Registered Member

That's amazing that your tank is so full of life that these fish are healthy, spawning and fry are surviving with no direct help from you except for you maintaining a great dt.

Those assesors are huge! I really look forward to seeing them.

Unread 01/18/2014, 11:55 AM   #210
h.cordero
Registered Member

Dave glade your back! Also the tank is coming back to live lots of color!

Best Regards
Hernan Cordero

h.cordero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2014, 08:22 PM   #211
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Do you think Dory has been eating well enough? Almost overshadows the little Goldflake I picked up for my birthday yesterday. Need to fatten her up a little. But she is eating well and out and about the tank.

New Baby Purple Tang -- Munching the rock work like crazy

The pair of midnight clowns

This Blasto colony survived everything the tank has been through in the past year. Not really multiplying heads but some are getting large.

This Pink Watchman has been in the tank 2 years. He has always lived on the bottom of the tank but for the past few weeks has been living in the rocks mounted on the back wall of the tank.

Right Side of the Tank

Left side of tank-

Thanks for looking.

Dave B
Happy belated birthday Dave! The tanks is looking great! I LOVE that Glodflake! I may need to add one of those to my wish list!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2014, 10:59 PM   #212
reef_of_flames
Registered Member

Happy belated birthday! What day is it? Mine was just on the 11th.
Tank is certainly looking a lot nicer an more colorful with the new additions.

10g FW community tank

Current Tank Info: 6g Fluval Edge
reef_of_flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2014, 11:13 PM   #213
dca22anderson
Registered Member

Nice additions!! Love the many colors in your tank buddy!!

dca22anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2014, 07:48 PM   #214
elio
Registered Member

Sorry to hear what happen to your tank )..; ...I'm also loving your new additions to the tank.

Unread 02/12/2014, 11:12 PM   #215
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

So about 6 weeks ago I picked up an ugly acro colony. It had delicate branches and looks almost like a deepwater so I took a chance.

Now 6 weeks later and with some help from Chefzilla's awesome coral food the coral is still not too colorful... But the polyps have all turned bright blue.

A pleasant surprise.

Some of the other things that came in front of the macro lens tonight...

Pretty Blue Paly

Red Zoa

Season Greetings

Dave B

Unread 02/21/2014, 12:03 AM   #216
o2manyfish
Registered Member

It's funny, I shot macro shots 10 days ago and didn't like the way they turned out, tonight I pull out the camera and the photos came out cool. Not sure what I did any different.

But enough gabbin, you're not reading here to listen to me blabber about not being able to use my equipment

Dave B

Unread 02/21/2014, 02:58 AM   #217
Mr Andersen
Registered Member

Hi Dave.

Very beautiful reef tank! laove the fishes and the corals!

The goldflake is it reefsafe at yours?

Best Regards

Current Tank Info: 240gal reef mixed
Mr Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2014, 11:30 AM   #218
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Hi Mr. Andersen,

I have kept a goldflake in my tank pretty consistently for the past 10 years. At one point I actually had a pair of the. I have found them to be great tank companions. I love tiny fish, and tiny angels. The goldflake is almost always the biggest fish in my tank.

Thanks to my Fiancee' on the last go around the largest fish was an Achilles. And we were both devestated to lose the Achilles in the crash. I just found her a new Achilles on Weds. And it's a beauty but it's really large.

Now that I have rambled, back to the Goldflakes, at any size they just take care of themselves. They don't go after my other fish (big or small) an they don't go after my dwarf angels.

At the moment, the newest Goldflake is just about 3" and the lips have turned blue - Very important, as this is how the Fiancee' identifies the Goldflake to friends, as 'Blue lips'. But I have softies, LPS, SPS and clams in the tank and have no issues. In the past there has been occassional polyp nipping of SPS, but never damaging or decimating. Just a pick on one coral on one polyps and then move on about their business.

I have also kept Goldflakes with larger angels; Chrysurus, Imperator, Asfur, Koran, Cortez and never had an issue.

In my experience they have been a great fish for my reef tank, and I have no hesitation (other than cost) in adding them to my reef tanks.

Dave B

Unread 02/24/2014, 04:33 AM   #219
Mr Andersen
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi Mr. Andersen,

I have kept a goldflake in my tank pretty consistently for the past 10 years. At one point I actually had a pair of the. I have found them to be great tank companions. I love tiny fish, and tiny angels. The goldflake is almost always the biggest fish in my tank.

Thanks to my Fiancee' on the last go around the largest fish was an Achilles. And we were both devestated to lose the Achilles in the crash. I just found her a new Achilles on Weds. And it's a beauty but it's really large.

Now that I have rambled, back to the Goldflakes, at any size they just take care of themselves. They don't go after my other fish (big or small) an they don't go after my dwarf angels.

At the moment, the newest Goldflake is just about 3" and the lips have turned blue - Very important, as this is how the Fiancee' identifies the Goldflake to friends, as 'Blue lips'. But I have softies, LPS, SPS and clams in the tank and have no issues. In the past there has been occassional polyp nipping of SPS, but never damaging or decimating. Just a pick on one coral on one polyps and then move on about their business.

I have also kept Goldflakes with larger angels; Chrysurus, Imperator, Asfur, Koran, Cortez and never had an issue.

In my experience they have been a great fish for my reef tank, and I have no hesitation (other than cost) in adding them to my reef tanks.

Dave B
Hi Dave

Thank you very much for the very good explanation regarding this lovely fish!

I was about to buy one for about a year ago but when i went to get it one of the eyes turned White and raised so i didnt buy it and thats the first time i saw it for sale her i Denmark:-( i really want to have one:-)

May i ask what the Price is at yours?

I Love both small and bigger fish and i really love angeler fish!

I also have a achillies and what a beauty:-)

Best Regards

Current Tank Info: 240gal reef mixed
Mr Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2014, 08:43 PM   #220
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Andersen View Post

May i ask what the Price is at yours?

I have a pretty good source for my fish. But when I see them at the stores, which is infrequently, then run $300 to $500 US Dollars.

Dave B

Unread 02/24/2014, 09:16 PM   #221
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Dave. What kind of lights you running again? And how long have you had blue maxima clam. I have had several wither away on me, but now that I keep 10k light or usjio 14k light ie white light as opposed to radium blue I'm able to keep them. Just wondering if you have had any issues. Not sure if it's the par they need or the blue clams need whiter light. This is not what I have found from brown clams.

hedgedrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2014, 09:18 PM   #222
hedgedrew
Registered Member

Or maybe I'm just having better luck in separate clam tank and keeping away from the angels!!!

Unread 02/24/2014, 10:04 PM   #223
o2manyfish
Registered Member

Drew,

I am running Radiums. I have 3 blue maximas, but these have only been in the tank since Xmas.

I have had great success with clams over the years. I have never had a clam lose color, and some of them survived different crashes.

Before this last crash I had a group of clams some for up to 3 years that were doing great. I had a 3/4" maxima I had grown to over 4.5". And then over a period of 6 weeks, every other week one of the clams just disintegrated. It went back and forth across the tank, with no rhyme or reason. I hadn't added a new clam in probably a year, and something attacked my existing clams.

I have friends who have crocea clams that open up huge, and in my tank they never seem to over expand or get the huge butterfly mantle.

I have had some angels do some nipping, but never do any damage.

At the moment I have Goldflake, Flame, Multicolor, Regal, Flameback (2), Multibar (2) and Golden.

Dave B

Unread 02/24/2014, 10:11 PM   #224
ingtar_shinowa
Registered Member

I lost 9 clams one by one like you, and then all my nems, and the all my zoas. It was a eunice worm. Now I have 3 clams again, a blue maxima for 6 months, a BIG derasa for 2 and just got a blue w/ red rim maxima from the red sea. Clams are one of my favorites, but I am to scared to keep them with an angel, even a goldflake lol

ingtar_shinowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 12:32 AM   #225
hedgedrew
Registered Member

I've seen my blueface emperor and annularis take swipes at clams. I keep the good ones in a separate shallow tank now and they seem to do ok. I still loose some in my reefsafe 40 gallon breeder hoooked up which means it's also some sort of predator, the radiums, or its seems every time I change the rowaphos gfo something dies. Since I changed bulbs in the 40 and 80 attached to same system to ushio 14k and Hamilton 10k. All has been well with my clams. And they look better. Yes the maximas definitely suffer in the sand as opposed to on rocks also.