Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2017, 05:48 AM   #451
Piper27
I love bengals

The idea that all of the top sps tanks are grown from frags from tanks which is why they are nice is kind of dramatic. There are thousands of brilliant tanks grown from wild and maricultured sps. The only difference I have noticed is some wild and maricultured corals take a little longer to aclimate to tanks and start growing. While a few require much more demanding conditions. Frags grown in tanks for years might be easier to grow but most of these are easier space to keep from the get go. Keeping the wild equivalent of these corals is just as easy.
It bothers me when people try and say wild corals just die and turn people who are not aware of how to keep them away from buying them. Keeping wild corals is all some people in certain areas can keep. Most everyone's tanks in these regions are started from wild corals since there is no market for tank raised fragments. You don't hear about people saying wild and maricultured sps is hard or not worth it around these regions.
Keeping wild sps is all about knowing how to choose healthy corals, since most deaths are because of shipping stress and or stress from being held at local fish stores or wholesalers. Even if the coral dies weeks after purchase.
I have not seen much of a difference in tank raised and wild corals when I take in consideration the above.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 09:03 AM   #452
hkgar
Registered Member

Hey Piper,
Sorry, off topic but I have to ask:

Just curious, love is for Bengal cats, tigers or Cincinnati?

Here is my cat

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 10:38 AM   #453
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Wild corals do just as well as frags from tank raised corals IME, with a two to four week quarantine and treafmet treatment for potential pests as necessary in either case.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 11:01 AM   #454
karimwassef
Registered Member

I find wild corals more hardy but also more demanding in light and flow.
Tank raised are more "pampered". They prefer softer conditions.

Both can grow well once acclimated.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2017, 04:09 PM   #455
djbon
Registered Member

95% of my SPS are wild collected specimen (almost 90 different species) and they all do just fine.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon/Arduino Controller
djbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2017, 05:19 AM   #456
Piper27
I love bengals

Hkgar we have Bengal cats, here is our webpage. www.graffitispotbengals.com

Thanks for chipping in on my thoughts on wild coral guys. On another website similar to this the idea that wild corals are pest filled and will just die is pushed more than the topic is brought up. Sorry to get a little off topic too.

Piper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 04:16 AM   #457
Punchanello
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMeyer View Post
Those are interesting ongoing projects, none of which has anything to do with the claim that aquacultured corals in the hobby are "selected" or "evolved". As was correctly pointed out, all propagation in the hobby is by asexual means. Every coral in a hobbyist tank is genetically identical to a coral that was pulled out of the ocean sometime within the last few decades.
I have no idea if you are correct about coral evolution but the claim that every propagated coral is the same genetically to what it was taken from doesn't ring true.

Each coral consists of hundreds (thousands?) of polyps. Different types of polyp animals reproduce differently but many are sexual. It is possible that the frags of frags of great, great grandfather frags are generically different to the original due to reproduction after fragging.

Of course it's just as likely that the corals adapt. The textbooks say than two members of one species on the same reef can look like entirely different species due environmental factors like water turbidity, flow, competition etc.

Great topic

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My tank build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647315
Punchanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2017, 10:04 AM   #458
Fredfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchanello View Post
I have no idea if you are correct about coral evolution but the claim that every propagated coral is the same genetically to what it was taken from doesn't ring true.

Each coral consists of hundreds (thousands?) of polyps. Different types of polyp animals reproduce differently but many are sexual. It is possible that the frags of frags of great, great grandfather frags are generically different to the original due to reproduction after fragging.

Of course it's just as likely that the corals adapt. The textbooks say than two members of one species on the same reef can look like entirely different species due environmental factors like water turbidity, flow, competition etc.

Great topic

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Do a search on epigenetics and do some reading. In the short term (thousand of years) frags will be identical in their genetic makeup. Short term adaptation has to do with specific bits of genetic code being triggered by changes in the environment to change the way proteins are folded.

Over much larger periods of time, populations of fragments that become geographically separated can become genetically different because of replication errors, or even because bits of foreign genetic material have been incorporated. The latter is something that has been verified in bacterial populations.

Edit: here's a good link: https://www.whatisepigenetics.com/what-is-epigenetics/

Unread 10/25/2017, 07:37 PM   #459
lenmoore3
Registered Member

Cool Coral Growth Slow

I am a heavy feeder including Reef Chili with strong lighting and good flow. Phosphates and nitrates are low but more than zero. I believe my skimmer and Rollermat takes out enough nutrients before they become NO3. PO4 comes out with GFO. Have brown algae on glass but no hair algae ever. I have a refuge/pod tank which grows Cheto very slowly. Target KH is 8.5, Temp 78, Salt 34. PH 8.1 to 8.3. Using a calcium reactor and other parameters are stable and in range. I am dosing Amino acids.

Color is not bad, but growth is slow. Any ideas? Not a lot of Coraline Algae for a one year tank rebuild either.

lenmoore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 10:31 PM   #460
karimwassef
Registered Member

ummm.. Alkalinity, Calcium and Mg?

Those are the key 3 and you don't mention them.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 10:38 PM   #461
vikinglord13
Registered Member

What kind of corals do you have?
Have you changed your lights recently?
Any PAR readings / what kind of lights?

vikinglord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2017, 02:04 AM   #462
five.five-six
Registered Member

My observation of wild corals is that they will grow wonderfully in an aquarium once they adapt to a captive environment. It’s just that they often look vastly differant once they have adapted.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote