Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/17/2018, 02:21 PM   #1
RioReefr
Registered Member

my lawnmower blenny is an algae-pig (and lovin it)

my gosh, i made a new addition to my tank by purchasing a small lawnmower blenny. he is soon becoming my favorite fish -- he is a voracious eater of everything (green-hair algae, glass algae, every bit of literally ANY food). Anytime I look in the tank, he is munching on something. I have these small little coral frags that tend to build-up some algae time-to-time which I have to remove and soak a little in hydrogen peroxide. Since getting this fish, he has cleaned them dry and left the corals unscathed. I see him hanging onto the glass (somehow) and puckering his lips off that hard-to-clean glass algae that builds up.

He is an ugly guy (reminds me of a "Predator" face), but super peaceful and gets along with everyone. I swear even my sandbed is starting to look cleaner too and I am not imagining it.

I have made some stupid aquarium purchases, but this one as of-right now I am not regretting one bit. To me, he seems a MUST-have concerning a CUC.

Do they ever STOP eating ? LOL

RioReefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Joe0813
Registered Member

Im shocked that my lawnmower blenny hasn't had his tummy explode with how much he eats

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2018, 07:19 PM   #3
Reef noob_
Registered Member

My starry blenny (basically a lawnmower) is one of my favorite fish I’ve ever kept. He’s so fat he can’t even perch on a flat surface without rolling over lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2018, 07:14 AM   #4
Foundry
Registered Member

Glad you're enjoying your blenny! They are incredibly animated fish and we really grew to love ours.

Unfortunately ours disappeared a few months ago and never resurfaced. Presumably something went a bit wrong and the CUC took care of things. Our LR has a fairly extensive cave network and he would often explore it, poor guy probably got stuck.

Foundry is offline   Reply With Quote