Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/18/2011, 04:54 PM   #101
Glo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental1 View Post
Okay -- I just had a chat with the guy at Aquacave and ordered 3 AI fixture kit but I got 3 12 inch set of hanging rails so that I can hang the lights the long way over my tank versus the way the longer rails make you hang the lights. As my tank is a peninsula most of my corals are in the center. They will come next week... bye bye aquatinics fixture.
keep us posted, i want to hear how well 3 units of ai will perform over a 180G.

Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2011, 07:48 PM   #102
Mental1
Registered Member

It actually looks like I will be getting them on Thursday .. so sooner than I thought! Will keep you posted.

Current Tank Info: 400g - 65g DT and 180g peninsula DT both drop into basement. 5 tanks plus a QT in the basement.
Mental1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2011, 07:51 PM   #103
brshriver
Registered Member

Ok. The LEDs came today from the group buy site. Very pleased.

The solder pads are smaller than I expected. What gauge wire are people using for their led interconnect?

brshriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2011, 08:15 PM   #104
brassmonkyballs
BMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by brshriver View Post
Ok. The LEDs came today from the group buy site. Very pleased.

The solder pads are smaller than I expected. What gauge wire are people using for their led interconnect?
22 gauge. Tin the pads 1st, then tin the wire...will solder like a charm.

brassmonkyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2011, 08:44 PM   #105
brshriver
Registered Member

Thanks!

Unread 07/18/2011, 09:50 PM   #106
Felixc395
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental1 View Post
It actually looks like I will be getting them on Thursday .. so sooner than I thought! Will keep you posted.
Yes, please keep us updated! Pics are always better!

And I get my two sols tomorrow! Im so pumped!

Felixc395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2011, 12:03 AM   #107
igadget56
Registered Member

Anybody think these would work? http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...lbs/Categories

I have a 125 gallon 72" long 24" deep. I'm wondering if these would work and
how many I would need? You could make a rack with sockets in it for however
many you need. That way you could buy one every couple weeks. Say I started
with 2 That Way maybe I could get my first piece of coral. If they would work
how far from the surface should they be. Probably a Hair brain idea but I would
try it anybody thought I could get by with six of these. Could always split them
later. Anybody give me your thoughts.

igadget56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2011, 06:04 AM   #108
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

Does not say what type of lenses are on them. BUT from what I understand PAR bulbs tend to be more spotlight than most fixtures. So if you want even coverage you actually need more LEDs than with most fixtures. No if you only want a few corals or in limited location maybe that would work for you.

But a standard 72 will need 50-100 3 watts LEDs (according to the DIY numbers) that would be 7 to 14 of these PAR 38s.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon lps and fish
TheFishMan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2011, 09:20 AM   #109
brshriver
Registered Member

So what have DIY folks done for splash shields to prevent salt spray from getting on the electronics? I was thinking of using a few standoffs from the heat sink and mounting a sheet of acrylic to it that is an inch all of the way around larger than the eat sink.

Unread 07/19/2011, 09:49 AM   #110
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

That would work, or mount them 2 or more off the surface and uses lenses.

Unread 07/19/2011, 11:54 AM   #111
fns
Registered Member

Anyone have any experience with the Thomas Research drivers? I saw on their website they make a driver thats 0-10v dimmable in the 200w Series (TRC-200S140DT). I was looking to try and wire one of these up with some XM-Ls in series. Also, if at all possible, I want to avoid wiring in parallel since I really don't want to balance out strings, use fuses, etc etc etc. Any good high voltage drivers out there that would let me do this? Also, what are the draw backs to using a high voltage drivers besides the obvious that if there were a short, I could get zapped pretty good. On that note, could I run a wire down from the heatsink to a ground to prevent me from getting zapped if I touch the heatsink?

fns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2011, 11:58 AM   #112
madweazl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
it's so true that most members in that forum talk more than action. hehe. did you download the two pdf instruction files in the first post. it tells you how to make different setups with one to two RS1.0. i found them very helpful. the cree xp-e can be found direct from cree website http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/xlampxp-e.pdf

for the ebay 120w, isn't it over kill for such a small tank? how are you going to handle the light glaring at you if you were to set it high? it does not have lens to limit the light spill. also. how are you going to create the gradual sunset and sunrise with it?
I did read the 2 .pdf files. No clue on those setups, that is why I'm asking. Looks like to get what I really want, I'll just have to build it myself. Gonna start mocking things up in the next few days. Thinking I'll go with the Profilux II entry level setup to control the lighting but I just started researching it.

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2011, 01:56 PM   #113
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

fns,
not just a good zap, but maybe death. kcress did a good post on the danger of high voltage. But basically the way I (and I think most) took it was that anything over 50 volts we need to be really careful with. So IMHO that would me covering each connection, grounds, fuses (still, but really really very fast blow), and who know what else. Thanks, I will just balance the strings. But some here did a real nice one, but he understood all the risks.

Unread 07/19/2011, 03:46 PM   #114
brshriver
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fns View Post
On that note, could I run a wire down from the heatsink to a ground to prevent me from getting zapped if I touch the heatsink?
It is a good idea to ground the heat sink no matter what.

Unread 07/19/2011, 06:13 PM   #115
brassmonkyballs
BMB

Danger is the thing and not recommended...just use Ohms law and solve for I, use 1 Ohm, and change the voltage between 48V and 200V and you will see the danger.

You could get zapped pretty good with 48V....200V can be fatal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fns View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Thomas Research drivers? I saw on their website they make a driver thats 0-10v dimmable in the 200w Series (TRC-200S140DT). I was looking to try and wire one of these up with some XM-Ls in series. Also, if at all possible, I want to avoid wiring in parallel since I really don't want to balance out strings, use fuses, etc etc etc. Any good high voltage drivers out there that would let me do this? Also, what are the draw backs to using a high voltage drivers besides the obvious that if there were a short, I could get zapped pretty good. On that note, could I run a wire down from the heatsink to a ground to prevent me from getting zapped if I touch the heatsink?

Unread 07/19/2011, 06:22 PM   #116
brassmonkyballs
BMB

Quote:
It is a good idea to ground the heat sink no matter what.
it won't matter

Unread 07/19/2011, 07:09 PM   #117
Glo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post
I did read the 2 .pdf files. No clue on those setups, that is why I'm asking. Looks like to get what I really want, I'll just have to build it myself. Gonna start mocking things up in the next few days. Thinking I'll go with the Profilux II entry level setup to control the lighting but I just started researching it.
probably due to my technical background, i understand the diagram pretty alright. you just have to follow mode 3 and you will get 6 royal blue and 6 white xp-e on 2 tr dimmable drivers. you then connect the control wires of the drivers to your profilux to get your sunset and sunrise effect.

Unread 07/19/2011, 10:03 PM   #118
Glo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igadget56 View Post
Anybody think these would work? http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-...lbs/Categories

I have a 125 gallon 72" long 24" deep. I'm wondering if these would work and
how many I would need? You could make a rack with sockets in it for however
many you need. That way you could buy one every couple weeks. Say I started
with 2 That Way maybe I could get my first piece of coral. If they would work
how far from the surface should they be. Probably a Hair brain idea but I would
try it anybody thought I could get by with six of these. Could always split them
later. Anybody give me your thoughts.
I have seen a demonstration in a trade show, audience can actually play with the meter and the competing bulbs in various situtations. the par value of the one in your link is no where near the par38 from wingoled. some differences are as high as 40 percent! the selling price are similar. these lights actually go on track light heads that can tilt and swivel, so I would just go to home depot and a get track and end plugs and get track light heads from wingoled because they have a brushed nickle color track head matching the light for only $18. you should be ok with 8 of them. you will need a minimum of 12 to go with rapid.

Unread 07/19/2011, 10:07 PM   #119
Felixc395
Registered Member

Good topics! Keep it up!

Just got my AI sols today! They're really awesome! I'll post pics ASAP.

Unread 07/19/2011, 10:09 PM   #120
Glo
Registered Member

Quote:
So what have DIY folks done for splash shields to prevent salt spray from getting on the electronics? I was thinking of using a few standoffs from the heat sink and mounting a sheet of acrylic to it that is an inch all of the way around larger than the eat sink.
make sure you make the hole on the acrylics bigger so that it can move around. the splash guard of my first build with standoffs cracks because acrylics expands upon absorbing moisture.

Unread 07/20/2011, 05:27 AM   #121
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

Hello everybody!I am on the planing stage of my new setup!

I am digging the dimension of ELOS XL but dont have the money so probably I ll diy my tank based on the dimensions of ELOS !

What fixtures would you suggest for a tank this size!Going to be an Lps/sps tank!

Thanks in advance!

Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 06:40 AM   #122
Felixc395
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Beaver View Post
Hello everybody!I am on the planing stage of my new setup!

I am digging the dimension of ELOS XL but dont have the money so probably I ll diy my tank based on the dimensions of ELOS !

What fixtures would you suggest for a tank this size!Going to be an Lps/sps tank!

Thanks in advance!
So what are the dimensions? Do you want DIY or a full fixture?

Unread 07/20/2011, 06:41 AM   #123
vder
Registered Member

Post Time to upgrade my lighting system

I have been reading all the LED threads and it’s time for me to upgrade my lighting system. The AI fixtures look great. The DIY route also looks good. Going the DIY route what would I need for my tank which is listed below? Thanks in advance.

Current Set up =
135 Gallon Tank – Tangs and some angel fish & mixture of corals
60L x 18" W x 24 T
12 bulb T-5 39 watt Aquactinics Fixture

vder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 07:33 AM   #124
Amnezik
Registered Member

Is 48 Cree LED too much for a 55 gallon (30x18x24) with ratio 1:1 and 4 UV ??

Amnezik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2011, 09:21 AM   #125
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

Amnezik, I have 48 over a 75 at half power and they seem ok. Get dimmable drivers and you will be able to make it work. 36 might work. Lenses also play a role, but I am not sure what kind yet.