Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2018, 11:43 AM   #151
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogmanx82 View Post
OK, so now the Jebao is officially in the trash. .
Did you ever completely clean the Impeller?. Its hard to remove the calcium build up on the ceramic shafts, and you did say you had improvement after cleaning.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 01:55 PM   #152
HBtank
Premium Member

Got a 2500 to play with and compare to other DC pumps, even though I hate giving money to IP thieves. Planning on using it for a 30g cube I have in the works for my QT.

I can say for certainty I am not impressed with the build quality. Just feels cheap compared to others. I do like the range of attachments though.

Will see how it holds up!

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 04:29 PM   #153
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
Did you ever completely clean the Impeller?. Its hard to remove the calcium build up on the ceramic shafts, and you did say you had improvement after cleaning.
I could not have been any more thorough in the cleaning and it only lasted a month after the cleaning. Its just not what I'm looking for in a pump. Once trust is gone in a relationship you just have to walk away.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2018, 11:52 PM   #154
chunders
Registered Member

I have the Jebao 10000.

I like all the Jebao products, I have the wavemakers as well as the autodoser.

chunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:33 AM   #155
outy
Moved On

Quote:
I could not have been any more thorough in the cleaning and it only lasted a month after the cleaning..
Fair enough, I would recommend the new DCP line which does not have the problems your line was known to have in controller issues.

Unread 02/09/2018, 11:57 AM   #156
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Fair enough, I would recommend the new DCP line which does not have the problems your line was known to have in controller issues.
How can you speak to the reliability of something that is new?

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
Unread 02/09/2018, 12:07 PM   #157
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
How can you speak to the reliability of something that is new?
We don't see the failures under a year like previous models.

Unread 02/09/2018, 12:35 PM   #158
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
We don't see the failures under a year like previous models.
So a pump is known for failures on all "previous models", is one you are suddenly confident about reliability with..... but only their "new pump"? Crazy how something that has only been out a short period has less chance for reports on failing, huh?

I have noticed in all the Jeboa threads it is always "get the newest model, that one will be reliable!". I think they have even ran out of letters for power-heads.

I think I see a pattern.

Unread 02/09/2018, 12:49 PM   #159
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
Crazy how something that has only been out a short period has less chance for reports on failing, huh?

Crazy is how you constantly troll this pump, and everything you have stated has been proven wrong on aquarium pumps.

Fact is hundreds if not thousands have been sold, and no one is in here complaining about failure, yet with Vecra's many complain as many do not make it a year.

SO we do have a credible track record here to deal with.

Unread 02/09/2018, 01:37 PM   #160
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Crazy is how you constantly troll this pump, and everything you have stated has been proven wrong on aquarium pumps.

Fact is hundreds if not thousands have been sold, and no one is in here complaining about failure, yet with Vecra's many complain as many do not make it a year.

SO we do have a credible track record here to deal with.
Read the title of the thread buddy...

Long Term Review

The review on the Vectra L1 were phenomenal the first year... but obviously after more time people reported issues. You need a couple years before making any claims on reliability. The OP obviously understood that...

And Outy, the only thing you have proven is your your inability to give advice that is not an exact copy of "how you do it", that and your caustic attitude towards anyone who does not follow the same exact choices you made.

Unread 02/09/2018, 01:51 PM   #161
outy
Moved On

SO we do have a credible track record here to deal with. The pump has been out on its current form for 15 months.

And almost no complaints. Much better then vectra

Unread 02/09/2018, 01:58 PM   #162
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafayettereefer View Post
So how does this help determine if jabaos are worth the investment long term?

Based on how much electricity they save on a yearly basis.

I only have to run one 7 months and it pays for itself

My Iwaki cost over $223 a year to run . at 160W

jebao only cost $76 at 55W

Unread 03/04/2018, 11:28 PM   #163
Yaryman
Registered Member

Just replaced my Mag 12 return pump with DCT-4000 at full power. The Mag 12 has run for something like 5 to 10 years 24/7 with no problems. ( It still runs ) The Mag 12 was running at 79 watts. The DCT-4000 is running at 34 watts.

If my math is correct, 24 hours x 45 watts ( savings ) = 1080 watts or 1.08 kilowatt hour every day. 1080 watts x 365 = 394,200 watts or 394.2 kWh per year.

Using a 20 cent per kWh price, ( I've got time of use metering to go with my Solar panels ) we get 394.2 x .2 for a savings of $78.84 each year over the Mag 12.
I paid $63 for DCT-4000.

I don't know how long it will last ( I would think running it 24/7 would increase the life span if not using the feeding feature ), but if I make it to one year, the pump has payed for itself.

As for noise, my skimmer pumps are much louder, so I can't tell how quiet it really is. I can say that there was virtually no vibration on the return line, so little in fact that I had to check if the pump was running. It was.

Yaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2018, 05:45 PM   #164
Dross
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaryman View Post
Just replaced my Mag 12 return pump with DCT-4000 at full power. The Mag 12 has run for something like 5 to 10 years 24/7 with no problems. ( It still runs ) The Mag 12 was running at 79 watts. The DCT-4000 is running at 34 watts.

If my math is correct, 24 hours x 45 watts ( savings ) = 1080 watts or 1.08 kilowatt hour every day. 1080 watts x 365 = 394,200 watts or 394.2 kWh per year.

Using a 20 cent per kWh price, ( I've got time of use metering to go with my Solar panels ) we get 394.2 x .2 for a savings of $78.84 each year over the Mag 12.
I paid $63 for DCT-4000.

I don't know how long it will last ( I would think running it 24/7 would increase the life span if not using the feeding feature ), but if I make it to one year, the pump has payed for itself.

As for noise, my skimmer pumps are much louder, so I can't tell how quiet it really is. I can say that there was virtually no vibration on the return line, so little in fact that I had to check if the pump was running. It was.
The only possible error in your analysis is that you are assuming you never need to heat the tank with electric heat with the DC pump running. Anytime an electrical heater come on, you are not saving anything because the pump's power also acts as a heater. Probably still wise to go with a DC pump with that high of a power cost, but you may not see the full savings.

Dross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 11:03 AM   #165
Frogmanx82
Registered Member

During heating season you are saving nothing as the heat from the pump goes directly to reduce the heating requirement. Also the heat from the DC pump is largely in the transformer which is not in contact with the water and does not reduce the heat requirement. So you could argue that in the heating season the DC pump actually uses more electricity than the AC pump when combined with the heater requirements.

Check my homepage for tank pics and details.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon, 2x maxspect R420R LED, 4 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Eye Kole Tang, Flame Angel, Foxface Rabbitfish, Banggai Cardinals, Azure Damsel, rock flower anemone, cleaner shrimp, serpent star
Frogmanx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 12:34 PM   #166
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

the dc circuit is quite efficient, there is barely (only minimal) any heat loss on the power adapter nor the controller. not enough for sure to make a difference in heating the tank. I used an eheim 1262 for many years and glad to have replaced it with a dc pump. eheim runs hots. I posted a while back the apex temp chart to demonstrate it. I have to cool the tank a lot during summer with eheim pump. fan is ON a lot and results in higher evaporation and not to mention increases humidity, more frequent ATO refill, etc. There is no question in my mind DC pump is better than AC.

jebao return pump is currently the fourth (or is it fifth) generation and each generation has improvements over the previous. I'd say the latest dcp is probably perfect mechanically. controller can probably still see improvement, but that is all just firmware.

I use jebao dcp return pump, dc skimmer, dosing pump, and power head and they all work quite well.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 12:45 PM   #167
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Jebao DCT 9000 - two years running and no issues (knock on wood). Run between 60-70% on average and cleaned once or twice annually (solution of RODI/Vinegar run for 45-60 min).

Unread 03/06/2018, 12:54 PM   #168
Yaryman
Registered Member

Quote:
During heating season you are saving nothing as the heat from the pump goes directly to reduce the heating requirement. Also the heat from the DC pump is largely in the transformer
which is not in contact with the water and does not reduce the heat requirement. So you could argue that in the heating season the DC pump actually uses more electricity than the AC pump
when combined with the heater requirements.
The heat from a pump might affect a smaller tank, but my 300 gallon tank is more effected by room temp. Before replacing the Mag 12 with the DCT-4000 I was running a 175 watt heater
as the over night house temps were dropping to 66 or 67 degrees causing the tank temp to drop to 74 and below.

On the other hand, during the summer if I leave for several days, the house temp can rise 80 degrees or above without the air conditioning running.
I would leave the air set at 79 or 80 to keep the tank below 85 degrees. Now with a cooler pump, maybe I could set the air conditioning at 81 degrees.
My estimate is that the air conditioning runs at 5000 watts. So running that less, certainly makes up for running a 175 watt heater for a few extra days.

Pump Update - Still running after 5 days.

Unread 03/06/2018, 12:56 PM   #169
Yaryman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
Jebao DCT 9000 - two years running and no issues (knock on wood). Run between 60-70% on average and cleaned once or twice annually (solution of RODI/Vinegar run for 45-60 min).
Are you putting the entire pump in the solution, or just the impeller?

Unread 03/06/2018, 01:23 PM   #170
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

you put the entire pump in the solution with pump running. maybe after an hour or two, disassemble it, brush all the crud and calcium build up off the pump, rinse in clean water, and run in the vinegar solution some more. repeat until all calcium build up are gone. I do the same with powerhead.

I find that 1 cup vinegar in 5 gallon bucket (maybe filled with 3 gallons tap water) works fine. if pump has lots of build up, run it for 24 hours. no need to use pure vinegar. I laughed when I read once someone buys a pallet full of vinegar from costco. I cleaned a 60 gallon tank I recently torn down with like 10 years of really hard thick coraline build up using only 1 gallon of vinegar to 60 gallons of tap water ran for a couple days. did not have to use 60 gallons of vinegar.

Unread 03/06/2018, 02:23 PM   #171
HBtank
Premium Member

Really should about running anything electrical in vinegar for more than 30 minutes or so (as a general guideline), as it may effect seals etc.. Use a reasonable concentration that limits exposure time (depends on buildup).

Unread 03/06/2018, 03:35 PM   #172
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I've read about that and wonder what happens. so I just googled it now and it seems like they are just finding something to blame and blamed it on vinegar. (manufacturer not honoring warranty because pump was cleaned with vinegar I think is pure BS) I did find most use 50/50 vinegar and water solution. I do no more than 1:16 and it cleans just fine, may need to soak it a little longer. never run into any issues. maybe because I dilute it 1:16.

googled some more and found that diluted vinegar is safe on rubber, plastic, expoxy, etc, but full strength and soaked for extended period is not. did not find anything as to dilution ratio. I would not be surprised if some people use vinegar full strength (like the one I read that buys vinegar from costco by the pallet). I think people tend to be impatient and use full strength to clean faster.

Last edited by d0ughb0y; 03/06/2018 at 03:56 PM.
Unread 03/06/2018, 05:03 PM   #173
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you putting the entire pump in the solution, or just the impeller?
Whole pump. Dilute the vinegar quite a bit so it doesn't tear up the seals.

Never disassembled the return pump. I do remove wave maker impellers and brush those down. Guess I could do it with the return pump, just never thought about putting in that much work. At this point I'm happy my $95 investment has run this long.

Unread 03/14/2018, 07:01 AM   #174
Yaryman
Registered Member

Quote:
The heat from a pump might affect a smaller tank, but my 300 gallon tank is more effected by room temp. Before replacing the Mag 12 with the DCT-4000 I was running a 175 watt heater
as the over night house temps were dropping to 66 or 67 degrees causing the tank temp to drop to 74 and below.

On the other hand, during the summer if I leave for several days, the house temp can rise 80 degrees or above without the air conditioning running.
I would leave the air set at 79 or 80 to keep the tank below 85 degrees. Now with a cooler pump, maybe I could set the air conditioning at 81 degrees.
My estimate is that the air conditioning runs at 5000 watts. So running that less, certainly makes up for running a 175 watt heater for a few extra days.

Pump Update - Still running after 5 days.
Pump Update - Still running at 15 days.
Did replace a Mag 7 with DCT-4000 that was running as return pump. I'm running that pump at 40% ( 18 watts ) That's 21 watts less than Mag 7.
The tank does now run cooler without the 2 Mag pumps. The house temps have increased, yet the tank hasn't.
I am running a 175 watt heater that before the switch to DCT pumps wouldn't be required in March.

No two ways about it, the DCT pumps run cooler in the tank. All in all that's a good thing. Yes, I will have to heat the tank during the coldest months.
But, having the tank run MAYBE two degrees cooler in the summer is a great trade off. The tank is in the hottest room in the house, and I'm also in that room. I like cooler.

Second, with a cooler running tank, I don't have to worry so much about the tank overheating if I go away for a week in the July heat.
Leaving the house AC at a higher temp more than makes up for running a 175 watt heater in the winter. The AC runs at about 5000 watts.

Only downside so far. Not that the Mag pumps were loud, but the DCT pumps are very quiet. So quiet I can hear how gosh darn loud my protein skimmer is.
If one of skimmer pump fails again, I will replace the skimmer. I've seen several models using the DCT-DCS pumps, and am likely to go in that direction.

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:06 PM   #175
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Dct-6000

I ran my DC-6000 for over a year and the half w/o cleaning it once. They are quiet, and cool running. Unfortunately, the controller went bad on mine recently. One thing I didn’t like was the spark it would do when plugging in the pump plug to the controller.

NYC/NJREEFS is offline   Reply With Quote