Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/04/2009, 10:52 AM   #1
jck9
Moved On

lps and a vortech in a 90

i have an mp40 on my 90gal lps tank. i have had it dialed down about 50% on short pulse mode. everything was fine at this point except had detrius settling in some spot. so i turned it up and my frogspawn and hammer do not have as good of pollyp extension as they used too. will they adjust or is it too much? they are not in direct flow and they are not closed. just dont expand as much as they used too. any help is appreciated. anyone with lps and a vortech please post some feed back.
thanks
john

jck9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 01:08 PM   #2
2farNorth
Moved On

Alot of times they'll adjust, give it a few days, and keep an eye on them...

Although, you may want to try a different mode, alot of my corals didn't like the Vortechs in short pulse mode (I have 2 on a 120) I switched over to Reef Crest mode, and run the pumps up over 80 - 90%, and everyone seems happy... something to think about!!

2farNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2009, 04:55 PM   #3
coralite
registered member

What you might consider (and what I like to do with several of my vortech tanks) is run your 50% mode like you used to but every so often let run either full speed or reef crest mode for a small period of time. This will kick up a lot of detritus and it is not unlike having a little storm. Doing this at regular intervals should help keep the detritus.

You should never do this if you have a lot of detritus already accumulated. Remove as much detritus as possible before you get into the habit of "storming" your tank with a vortech (or any other pump).

coralite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 08:03 AM   #4
goodtimes2
Registered Member

I agree with 2farNorth , I just bought my mp40 for my 90 gallon tank and everthing looks great using the reefcrest mode. I placed my frogspawn near the top of the tank but on the far side of the pump where it get moderate flow coming from the bottom of the tank up into the pump.The direct flow of the pump is not hitting the frogspawn.

goodtimes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 01:35 PM   #5
R.W.
Registered Member

I have my mp40w on full in every mode and my acans dont mind the flow. I also have a 6101 on full aswell and doesn't cause any problems. This is a 90g btw.

Unread 03/06/2009, 02:24 PM   #6
Amoore311
Registered Member

My frogspawn and orange torch do not like the high flow from my Vortechs.

I had them on wave mode and it was just too much for my 90 Gallon lol. I moved them 75% Lagoon Mode, and everything is happy now.

I'm going to try the wave with 2 vortechs again when I upgrade to the 6' 180 Gallon.

100 Gallon Custom Rimless Mixed Reef 2012-2014
29 Gallon Biocube Reef! Current

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon Biocube, StevesLED Upgrade, Neptune Apex
Amoore311 is offline   Reply With Quote