Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 09/14/2011, 05:16 AM   #76
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M88A2 View Post
This may have been asked in the thread before but there are 5300 posts so i thought asking would yield better results. Having been answering for much of that time, I would not really remember even if I thought I did

I have a 75g tank currently cycling with a 20g sump. There is around 70ish lbs of rocks in the display with a few more pieces in the sump. The skimmer is a Reef Octopus NWB 110.

Here is my proposed stocking list
List1
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Linespot Flasher Wrasse
Blue Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wasse
Orange-Black Fairy Wrasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse Aggressive, not recommended
Pink Margin Wrasse My experience is that the males are difficult shippers

or

List 2
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
Linespot Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wasse
Orange-Black Fairy Wrasse
Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse Aggressive, not recommended
2 Ignitus anthias Well, a pair of anthias needs a larger tank but one is fine
Lubbock's Fairy wrasse or 2 If two, must be M+F

Is this too much for my system to handle...I asked a LFS but I don't really trust them. Also if I keep more than one Lubbock's do I need to make sure it is a male/female combo?
As far as crowding, it is marginal

Unread 09/14/2011, 05:21 AM   #77
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShepherd View Post
Two questions - current stock list at bottom, tank info in signature

1. Can I safely add a peppermint shrimp to my current stock list? I was once warned that the two cleaner shrimp I currently have might not tolerate (read:thunderdome) another shrimp in my size of tank.

My concern would be the "yellow wrasse" which may eat shrimp. Can you provide the species? The cleaners should not care

2. Do I have room to add another fish comfortably? By comfortably I mean I never want to reach a 'heavy' load, nor to I want a crowded tank. I don't currently have plans to add another fish and I'm enjoying how much space they have to move around - I simply like knowing where my limit is

Bioload wise, a small one would be fine.
Be careful about compatibility, however

Thanks!

Stock List:
2 Ocellaris - generally very friendly
1. Eibl (red stripe) Dwarf Angel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Wrasse

2 Cleaner (skunk) shrimp
4 Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius Nails
Blue Leg Hermit Army
Your hermit will likely kill your snails in the long run to "try out" their shells

Unread 09/14/2011, 08:40 AM   #78
WetShepherd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetShepherd View Pos
Two questions - current stock list at bottom, tank info in signature

1. Can I safely add a peppermint shrimp to my current stock list? I was once warned that the two cleaner shrimp I currently have might not tolerate (read:thunderdome) another shrimp in my size of tank.

My concern would be the "yellow wrasse" which may eat shrimp. Can you provide the species? The cleaners should not care

The Yellow Wrasse is a Halichoeres chrysus. He took a few good pecks at the Nassarius when they were introduced but I haven't seen him bother them since. None of the fish have ever troubled the cleaners - they all make use of their service except possibly the Royal Gramma - he continues to be a bit shy.

The Wrasse is fully grown or almost fully grown - should I be watching for problems? Will any of these guys be a problem for corals?

2. Do I have room to add another fish comfortably? By comfortably I mean I never want to reach a 'heavy' load, nor to I want a crowded tank. I don't currently have plans to add another fish and I'm enjoying how much space they have to move around - I simply like knowing where my limit is

Bioload wise, a small one would be fine.
Be careful about compatibility, however

Great I'll stick with what I have - it's nice knowing I've left them some extra space.

Thanks!

Stock List:
2 Ocellaris - generally very friendly
1. Eibl (red stripe) Dwarf Angel
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Wrasse

2 Cleaner (skunk) shrimp
4 Turbo Snails
5 Nassarius Nails
Blue Leg Hermit Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
Your hermit will likely kill your snails in the long run to "try out" their shells
I had the impression that the Nassarius could quickly dive into the sand for protection, but like most snails they seem to just turtle up. The hermits haven't touched them yet but I'll keep an eye on things. Is the sump a suitable place for hermits if you have a fuge?

Thanks Snorvich/mike - both for the answers and your other posts

Unread 09/14/2011, 10:11 AM   #79
snorvich
Team RC member

My concern with hermits or critters in the sump is blockage and flooding. Halichoeres chrysus can/will eat shrimp. Clowns will not allow cleaning. Any dwarf angel is NOT safe with coral especially LPS.

Unread 09/14/2011, 05:01 PM   #80
WetShepherd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorvich View Post
My concern with hermits or critters in the sump is blockage and flooding. Halichoeres chrysus can/will eat shrimp. Clowns will not allow cleaning. Any dwarf angel is NOT safe with coral especially LPS.
Thanks Steve, you're correcting a lot of bad info I've received and I suspect you know the head aches you've saved me.

Re: the clowns - I admittedly don't know what constitutes the actions of cleaning. The shrimp and the clowns share a cave at night (contrary to what I expected from clowns) and that's when the touchy feely seems to happen for them.

That's terrible news about the dwarf angel. The only possible solution I can imagine would be to start a second tank

Unread 09/14/2011, 07:55 PM   #81
jamesbaur13
Apsiring Alhcohlolic

Hey Steve,

I had a question regarding Anthias...

I have a 120 (4x2x2) I have 3 Bartlett's Anthias (juveniles, F F F) in QT atm.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a second school of Anthias and if there was any particular ones I should stay away from and If it'd work at all.

I'm thinking of replacing the (M F F) harem of Flasher Wrasses I had originally planned. I saw them at a LFS and (not sure if it was just a poor example) I wasn't too impressed with their appearance.

Thanks.

Last edited by jamesbaur13; 09/14/2011 at 08:01 PM.
Unread 09/14/2011, 08:29 PM   #82
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbaur13 View Post
Hey Steve,

I had a question regarding Anthias...

I have a 120 (4x2x2) I have 3 Bartlett's Anthias (juveniles, F F F) in QT atm.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a second school of Anthias and if there was any particular ones I should stay away from and If it'd work at all.

I have mixed anthias albeit in much (240/350) larger tanks. I can recommend carberyi and resplendant

I'm thinking of replacing the (M F F) harem of Flasher Wrasses I had originally planned. I saw them at a LFS and (not sure if it was just a poor example) I wasn't too impressed with their appearance.

That can happen. You have to shop for good ones if you want to get superb coloration. I love anthias so I am biased although I also like fairy and flasher wrasses

Thanks.

Unread 09/15/2011, 07:23 AM   #83
forced4
Registered Member

Fish wish list for my currently dry 75 gallon with around 10 gallon wet/dry set up as a sump (plan to upgrade size). Ultimately hope to go in the direction of a mixed reef.. Planning on about 75 lbs of rock structure to start.

The future wife wants: green mandarin dragonet

The kids want a pair of clowns, either ocellaris or percula and a blue tang..what kid doesn't....sigh. The tank raised varieties of course. I had a tiny blue tang in an established 55 years ago that did well..but he was tiny and as he grew in I traded him to someone with a larger tank. Not sure if another tiny one would do okay or that was luck.

I want a flame angel for a while but understand he needs to go once I get into coral...
I had a small purple stripe psuedochromis once that I liked...but he turned out to be a bully. Maybe it was him, the environment, or whatever. Not sure if he can fit in this equation.

I really like shrimp but I'm not sure on any species.

Interested in your comments and suggestions on other species as well. I haven't had time to research these very well, but since my tank is dry I'm in no danger of making rash decisions...lol. Thank you.

Last edited by forced4; 09/15/2011 at 08:00 AM.
Unread 09/15/2011, 11:24 AM   #84
sixty4tw
Registered Member

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse or Striped Dottyback?

I'm looking to add a fourth (and probably last) fish to my 30g hex tank. I've got some live rock and some decorative fossilized corral and a gravel bottom.
I currently have an Ocellaris Clownfish, a Royal Gramma Basslet, and a wonderful Flame Hawkfish. They all get along well. My Royal Gramma is not shy at all and spends plenty of time in open water, but is somewhat defensive about his cave. The Flame Hawkfish is active but very peaceful with the other two. I would like my next fish to be peaceful and adaptable without any special concerns. I am feeding them frozen mysis shrimp (other frozen at times for variety) and flakes.

The Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (as well as the Pink Streaked) seems like the only wrasse that would be alright without a sand bottom and has similar feeding requirements and generally non-agressive.

The Striped Dottyback is said to be peaceful and a bit shy and reclusive which is fine. Also, I am considering the fact that they are tank-bred and possibly more hardy than the Wrasse.

If you have any experience with either I would love to hear your suggestions and advice as well as any other recommendations.

Thank You!

Unread 09/15/2011, 02:53 PM   #85
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced4 View Post

The future wife wants: green mandarin dragonet

That is doable around 7 months down the line IF and ONLY IF there are no other copepod eaters.

The kids want a pair of clowns, either ocellaris or percula and a blue tang..what kid doesn't....sigh.

Hepatus tangs would not do well in a 75 gallon tank

The tank raised varieties of course. I had a tiny blue tang in an established 55 years ago that did well..but he was tiny and as he grew in I traded him to someone with a larger tank. Not sure if another tiny one would do okay or that was luck.

Doing well means reaching their maturity of one foot. If it was doing well, it was living in a closet

I want a flame angel for a while but understand he needs to go once I get into coral...

Dwarf angels are not safe with LPS especially

I had a small purple stripe psuedochromis once that I liked...but he turned out to be a bully. Maybe it was him, the environment, or whatever. Not sure if he can fit in this equation.

Orchid dottybacks (P. fridmani) would work, the rest are majorly aggressive

I really like shrimp but I'm not sure on any species.

Various cleaners are fine, alpheus soror pistols are great, but stay away from Coral Banded Shrimp

Interested in your comments and suggestions on other species as well. I haven't had time to research these very well, but since my tank is dry I'm in no danger of making rash decisions...lol. Thank you.

Unread 09/15/2011, 02:55 PM   #86
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4tw View Post
I'm looking to add a fourth (and probably last) fish to my 30g hex tank. I've got some live rock and some decorative fossilized corral and a gravel bottom.
I currently have an Ocellaris Clownfish, a Royal Gramma Basslet, and a wonderful Flame Hawkfish. They all get along well. My Royal Gramma is not shy at all and spends plenty of time in open water, but is somewhat defensive about his cave. The Flame Hawkfish is active but very peaceful with the other two. I would like my next fish to be peaceful and adaptable without any special concerns. I am feeding them frozen mysis shrimp (other frozen at times for variety) and flakes.

The Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (as well as the Pink Streaked) seems like the only wrasse that would be alright without a sand bottom and has similar feeding requirements and generally non-agressive.

I have one and love it. Terrific fish.

The Striped Dottyback is said to be peaceful and a bit shy and reclusive which is fine. Also, I am considering the fact that they are tank-bred and possibly more hardy than the Wrasse.

I don't do dottybacks because of their nature but in general, they are aggressive. I have not kept the one in question.

If you have any experience with either I would love to hear your suggestions and advice as well as any other recommendations.

Thank You!

Unread 09/15/2011, 04:57 PM   #87
A_Z
Registered Member

would this work in a 75g (w/20g sump) mixed softie reef (w/Feather dusters)?

- Yellow Clown Goby
- Terminal Male Flame Wrasse
- Male Squareback Anthias
- Blue Chromis
- Mccoskers Flasher Wrasse
- Green Mandarin 6-7 months established?

Unread 09/15/2011, 05:07 PM   #88
Bucko827
Registered Member

Smile New 80G setup

Hi guys,

Im new to this but looking to setup my first reef aquarium.

I recently aquired an 80G tank H=27 1/2", W=12 1/2", L=67" with 1cm glass all round.

Equipment I have so far :
Fluval 405 filter pump
2 heaters
40w flurecent tube 1meter long

Livestock that im thinking of getting:
Pyjama Cardinal
Blue/Green Chromis sm/md
Hifin Yellow nose Goby
Common clown fish
Purple Fire fish
Also thought of snails and other inverterbrates

Looking for any help and advice.

Thanks

Unread 09/15/2011, 05:56 PM   #89
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Z View Post
would this work in a 75g (w/20g sump) mixed softie reef (w/Feather dusters)?

- Yellow Clown Goby
- Terminal Male Flame Wrasse
- Male Squareback Anthias
- Blue Chromis
- Mccoskers Flasher Wrasse
- Green Mandarin 6-7 months established?
That should work. Be sure the mandarin is added to a mature tank

Unread 09/15/2011, 05:58 PM   #90
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko827 View Post
Hi guys,

Im new to this but looking to setup my first reef aquarium.

I recently aquired an 80G tank H=27 1/2", W=12 1/2", L=67" with 1cm glass all round.

Equipment I have so far :
Fluval 405 filter pump
2 heaters
40w flurecent tube 1meter long

Livestock that im thinking of getting:
Pyjama Cardinal
Blue/Green Chromis sm/md
Hifin Yellow nose Goby
Common clown fish
Purple Fire fish Be sure this fish is established first.
Also thought of snails and other inverterbrates

Looking for any help and advice.

Be sure to properly cycle your tank and do not use fish for that purpose.

Thanks

Unread 09/15/2011, 06:12 PM   #91
Bucko827
Registered Member

I planned on having the tank setup from 2weeks to 2months before adding fish to make sure I got everything right and stabil before adding fish and was going to add the clown fish first so thanks for the advice.

What would you suggest I add to my build in the way of equipment and internal decorations?

I do not want LR though was going to use DR and eventually get some coral but not sure what types.

Unread 09/15/2011, 07:19 PM   #92
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko827 View Post
I planned on having the tank setup from 2weeks to 2months before adding fish to make sure I got everything right and stabil before adding fish and was going to add the clown fish first so thanks for the advice.

What would you suggest I add to my build in the way of equipment and internal decorations?

I do not want LR though was going to use DR and eventually get some coral but not sure what types.
You need to understand the cycle process as well as testing associated with it. This thread is about fish compatibility: with each other and with your environment being provided. Questions about equipment should be an individual thread in New to the Hobby.

Unread 09/18/2011, 05:25 PM   #93
A_Z
Registered Member

I was wondering if
Chelmon marginalis
Chaetodon Declivis

are safe with soft corals like zoas/leathers/xenia etc?

thank you

also any experience with the Marginalis, I heard they are much hardier than CBB.

I would sub the mandarin for the Margin since they both eat pods.

stock list 75g ~

Blue Chromis
Terminal Male Flame Wrasse
Squareback Anthias
Chelmon marginalis (Australia)
Peppermint Candy Cane Hogfish
If Possible a small tang like a Kole added last.

Unread 09/18/2011, 05:56 PM   #94
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Z View Post
I was wondering if
Chelmon marginalis
Chaetodon Declivis

are safe with soft corals like zoas/leathers/xenia etc?

Since I do not keep any of these as I consider them pests, I would not know. NO butterfly, however is reef safe.

thank you

also any experience with the Marginalis, I heard they are much hardier than CBB.

That is correct. Also more expensive and more difficult to find.

I would sub the mandarin for the Margin since they both eat pods.

stock list 75g ~

Blue Chromis
Terminal Male Flame Wrasse
Squareback Anthias
Chelmon marginalis (Australia)
Peppermint Candy Cane Hogfish
If Possible a small tang like a Kole added last.

Unread 09/18/2011, 07:35 PM   #95
Babybrown1249
USAF

I have a 90 gal DT with a 30 gal sump/ref. 110 lbs of sand, 85 lbs of LR on half the tank, foam rock on the other side of tank (about same surface size as LR) 3 koralia 4s planning on purchasing an octopus skimmer rated for 160 next but I wanted to have you look at my planned stocking list. (not all at once obviously)

I currently have a 75 gal set up and running for about 6 months with 4 clowns a yellow damsel and 3 pajama cards. I want to get...

2-3 Yellow tangs
1 sailfin tang
3-4 green cromis
Maybe one or two more compatible fish

What do you think?

Unread 09/18/2011, 08:31 PM   #96
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybrown1249 View Post
I have a 90 gal DT with a 30 gal sump/ref. 110 lbs of sand, 85 lbs of LR on half the tank, foam rock on the other side of tank (about same surface size as LR) 3 koralia 4s planning on purchasing an octopus skimmer rated for 160 next but I wanted to have you look at my planned stocking list. (not all at once obviously)

I currently have a 75 gal set up and running for about 6 months with 4 clowns a yellow damsel and 3 pajama cards. I want to get...

2-3 Yellow tangs Will not coexist
1 sailfin tang Gets too large
3-4 green cromis
Maybe one or two more compatible fish

What do you think?
The stocking list is inappropriate to your tank size. You cannot keep multiple tangs in that sized tank. Your chromis will also winnow down to one. Four clowns will become two clowns as they sexually mature.

Unread 09/18/2011, 09:31 PM   #97
Palting
Registered Member

Both my firefish went carpet surfing . Had them for almost a year. I'm looking at replacing them. My wife saw a pair of Pajama Cardinals and love them. They are a colorful, serene fish, just floating there. I'm a little worried to have them in my tank, though. I have peaceful but very active fish, please see my sig. OTOH, I do have a lot of crevices and caves for hidng. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Unread 09/19/2011, 05:25 AM   #98
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palting View Post
Both my firefish went carpet surfing . Had them for almost a year. I'm looking at replacing them. My wife saw a pair of Pajama Cardinals and love them. They are a colorful, serene fish, just floating there. I'm a little worried to have them in my tank, though. I have peaceful but very active fish, please see my sig. OTOH, I do have a lot of crevices and caves for hidng. What do you guys think? Thanks!
Cardinals are peaceful fish, primarily nocturnal as are all cardinal fish, but have the potential to eat shrimp.

Unread 09/19/2011, 07:45 AM   #99
Palting
Registered Member

Thanks, Steve.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Unread 09/19/2011, 02:33 PM   #100
Brando8719
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I could add a Diamond Watchman Goby to my tank. My roommate saw one in the lfs the other day and has really been bugging for one. The way the eat the sand is pretty hilarious. I've never seen anything like it.

I currently have:
2x Ocellaris Clown
1x Bi-Colour Angel
1x Red Elongated Dottyback
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
CUC including astrea snails, turbo snails and hermit crabs.

My set up is a 55 gallon reef with a 15gallon sump. I'm using a bullet-1 skimmer, 400W MH, 45lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand. My tank is only 4-5 months old. I currently don't have a refugium set up but it is something I plan on doing in the future. I plan on having corals (well, more than I do now). I currently have a red favia, frogspawn, and open brain. I have read that the goby often throws sand on the open brains? Is this a problem if you clean them off daily?

In my research some sites mention a stocked refugium is necessary which makes me think that they might eat pods? Therefore, maybe my tank isn't established enough to house one? I know they can eat a variety of other foods.. I'm just not sure why the refugium is necessary.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Brando8719; 09/19/2011 at 02:39 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
marine fish compatibility