Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2018, 08:29 AM   #1
StinkerTinker
Registered Member

re-conditioned my old tank

Gentleman & Ladies, I have an older 65g shallow cube tank that has been sitting around in my dinning room for the past 4 years to my wife's dismay. So, I decided to recondition her, and re-purpose her with a new look.

She is made of ultra clear glass, and has an oak stand. Its a very old look with clear silicone and red oak stain. She has bar epoxy on the inside of the stand and on top. Also I am using 1 inch foam insulation to protect the bottom of the tank.

So I scrapped all the old silicone off the inside of the tank, then used acetone to remove the excess residue.

Then I used black silicone to re-seal the seams, and affix the black acrylic overflow to the glass overflow in the back of the tank.

This is the silicone I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have since the pics, removed the doors, sanded and primed, them. I will be using Marine Topside paint to paint the stand bright glass white.

This is the paint

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you may have guessed Im going for that new RedSea/Elos look with an old tank.

Let me know your thoughts and concerns

David

StinkerTinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2018, 05:19 AM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I would just test fill it with some water outside and let it sit for several days. This will give you time to ensure it doesn't have leaks or issues before getting too far into the build and having a disaster.

Unread 04/16/2018, 10:50 PM   #3
StinkerTinker
Registered Member

Not a bad idea. I'll test fill it when comes closer finishing the paint. The stand is being repainted and I bought some new gear. IceCap K2 120, and IceCap 24 Sump.

Unread 04/17/2018, 06:23 AM   #4
JKR979
Registered Member

I think that's going to turn out really nice.

Is it that simple to re-seal a tank? I have a couple tanks sitting around at home and I have never started them up again out of fear they will spring a leak. One 55 I was thinking of building into a sump for a larger tank build, but just don't trust it over the long run.

JKR979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 08:23 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkerTinker View Post
Gentleman & Ladies, I have an older 65g shallow cube tank that has been sitting around in my dinning room for the past 4 years to my wife's dismay. So, I decided to recondition her, and re-purpose her with a new look.
None of my attempts to re-purpose my wife ever worked out well.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2018, 08:29 AM   #6
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
It's called a divorce and remarry. Only way to re-purpose a wife.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 09:47 AM   #7
StinkerTinker
Registered Member

yaaasss!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
HAHAHA!!

Unread 04/23/2018, 09:51 AM   #8
StinkerTinker
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR979 View Post
I think that's going to turn out really nice.

Is it that simple to re-seal a tank? I have a couple tanks sitting around at home and I have never started them up again out of fear they will spring a leak. One 55 I was thinking of building into a sump for a larger tank build, but just don't trust it over the long run.
I watched couple of youtube videos on reconditioning a tank, and read some forums, here and other sites. I didn't remove all the silicone, just the inside silicone. I basically wanted to help reseal the inside. I will water test this thing, no way am I stocking it, then discovering a boo boo.

If it all goes kablowey, then ZI will just buy a Redsea or Elos and call it a day. I have gotten years of use out of this tank so not worried.