Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Ohio
Registered Member

How do I enhance tissue regrowth on diseased coral?

I have a meat coral that succumbed to Brown Jelly. Last night it set in a Chloramphenicol bath. Now I am monitoring for recurrence in a quarantine tank. How can I encourage this piece to regrow it's damaged tissue. Vitamin C(what dosage)? Anything else?

Hopefully i can save this coral. Thank you, Jenn.

-Snorkeling the reef around the Florida Keys changed my life! I will always own a reef tank now, so that I may experience that feeling everyday of my life.

Current Tank Info: 120g long reef, 30g sump/refugium, 4 AI Sol Super Blue LED lights, Blue Hippo Tang, Yellow Tang, Pair WSM, Flame Angel, Square Spot Anthias, RBTA, 1 Mandarin, Skunk and Fire Cleaner Shrimps
Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Reef Frog
Registered Member

I just posted this to another thread. It was an experiment that worked for me. Use at your own risk. The idea is that this should nuke bacteria, parasites etc. Good luck.

Quote:
If the tissue continues to retract, I'd dip it again & treat the exposed skeleton with a drop of hydrogen peroxide, dip the area clean in SW, add a drop of concentrated iodine (avoid getting on healthy tissue) & maybe a drop of anti bacterial compound. Rinse between each compound & keep the healthy polyps wet & don't take too much time. Touching the edge of the tissue/skeleton is OK but no chemicals on the healthy tissue. Caution: I cooked up this procedure myself & saved 2 scolys & an Aussie war coral this way. It's not a common treatment so use only as a last resort & at your own risk. I've read of people cutting away the exposed skeleton or fragging a remaining healthy polyp if it looks to be going downhill fast. Never done this myself but maybe others can advise on this.

Reef Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2013, 06:14 AM   #3
chrisfont23
Reef Monster

My LFS swears by dosing Strontium in low doses (1/3 rd the recommended dose was what they told me). I was so reluctant to do this, since I can't test for it/didn't have a kit. But it was apparent I needed something as my prized torch coral was going down hill. You can search the boards for the post I have on "Torch Coral Tissue Recession"

Anyway, I started dosing and in about 3-4 weeks it showed promise. Now it's extending so much, I may have to move it and also - splitting

Caution, but it worked for me.

chrisfont23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2013, 09:31 PM   #4
MechEng99
aka Reef'd Up

See:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1918483

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
Systems: 200g SPS-dominant, 75g Rescue, 30g QT, & 10g QT
MechEng99 is offline   Reply With Quote