Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2012, 12:52 PM   #151
SPotter
Registered Member

good luck!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 02:12 PM   #152
BigOldReef
Registered Member

Is it possible that you are looking at the wrong end of the sump. Perhaps the overflows from the tank are surging and that is pushing the water into the sump at a variable flow rate, so it goes over the baffles as the water pressure changes causing a wave ?

Current Tank Info: 400g Display Tank
BigOldReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 03:17 PM   #153
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldReef View Post
Is it possible that you are looking at the wrong end of the sump. Perhaps the overflows from the tank are surging and that is pushing the water into the sump at a variable flow rate, so it goes over the baffles as the water pressure changes causing a wave ?
Yes it is possible and likely. Talked to Dolphin again and that is what I need to figure out. Will be posting longer video shortly that may help.

jt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 03:25 PM   #154
SPotter
Registered Member

Can you make the drain pipes into the sump shorter? that might be causing some bsck pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 03:26 PM   #155
jt48
Registered Member

Longer video explaining sump design. Hopefully you can point out the flaw that creates wave. My next course of action is attaching 90 degree elbows to the bulkheads in sump either with or without a section of PVC. Other possible idea is placing a baffle to separate the drain section from skimmer section.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D-LzRJMWctA

Unread 06/21/2012, 03:29 PM   #156
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Can you make the drain pipes into the sump shorter? that might be causing some bsck pressure.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
If u are referring to the four 15 " PVC pipes connected to the bulkheads, I thought about that also. Wave action is same with or without them. Thanks though for the idea.

Unread 06/21/2012, 03:37 PM   #157
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Just a thought but what if you lowered the water about 3 -5 inches? You think it will be the same?

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 03:44 PM   #158
dave.m
Registered Member

What if you added a fourth vertical baffle? This might be enough to throw off whatever is aligning so well to create the wave. I don't know how you could set one up temporarily to test it, though.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 03:55 PM   #159
Jasanden
Registered Member

Edit

Jasanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 03:55 PM   #160
Jasanden
Registered Member

Hey Osprey, do you think you have air in the line? Have you tried just turning it off and starting it back up after a minute?

Jasanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2012, 04:01 PM   #161
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Just a thought but what if you lowered the water about 3 -5 inches? You think it will be the same?
Will try that!

Unread 06/21/2012, 04:02 PM   #162
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
What if you added a fourth vertical baffle? This might be enough to throw off whatever is aligning so well to create the wave. I don't know how you could set one up temporarily to test it, though.

Dave.M
That is an idea but I take credit of thinking about it first. Going to try that if lowering level doesn't work. Thanks

Unread 06/21/2012, 04:03 PM   #163
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasanden View Post
Hey Osprey, do you think you have air in the line? Have you tried just turning it off and starting it back up after a minute?
Already tried that twice. Thanks

Unread 06/21/2012, 04:54 PM   #164
jt48
Registered Member

Newbie Aquarist wins the prize but I thank everyone for their input.
The more I lowered the water level in the return section, the less wave action I had. I still don't understand how the wave was being created though. I did notice that the wave was so strong that it was bending the acryllic baffles back and forth which in turn helped create more wave. I have two different types of acryllic in the sump-thick new stuff from lowes and thinner, older, more brittle stuff I had lying around. I used the new stuff for the two sides of the refugium section. The last baffle, closest to the return bulkhead is sagging a bit now that the water level in that section is low. Easily corrected though by securing it more with more acryllic or if I can find a piece of glass thick enough.
Thanks again

Unread 06/21/2012, 05:12 PM   #165
BigOldReef
Registered Member

I think the problem comes from the fact that the 2 last "over" baffles are both at 16". The second one should be lower so the water flows/ falls over. You are forcing the water up and over the second baffle. My guess this is what is creating the wave.

Not sure the quickest way to test this theory.

Dave

Unread 06/21/2012, 05:41 PM   #166
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
I think the problem comes from the fact that the 2 last "over" baffles are both at 16". The second one should be lower so the water flows/ falls over. You are forcing the water up and over the second baffle. My guess this is what is creating the wave.

Not sure the quickest way to test this theory.

Dave
Interesting thought. I want to confirm with Dolphin as to what is the minimum (if there is any) water level. How many inches of water should there be above the Dolphin to operate properly. The directions talked about water cavitations and some stuff I did not completely understand. To test your theory I think I would need to remove the baffle, clean off all the silicone, cut and reattach. Not the easiest job but doable. Other possible method would be to sand it down while still attached.

Unread 06/21/2012, 05:48 PM   #167
BigOldReef
Registered Member

The minimum water level is usually at the point where the pump intake create a whirlpool and starts sucking air.

I have an idea to test my theory. Cut a piece of old scrap acrylic that is the same width as your baffles and only about 3 in tall.

Then use a clamp and clamp it to the first 'Over' baffle so that is raises that baffle by 1/2 and inch to an inch.

You should notice the surging stopping right away.

If this is the case then there are several methods for lowering the second 'Over' baffle without having to tear it out.

Unread 06/21/2012, 06:15 PM   #168
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
The minimum water level is usually at the point where the pump intake create a whirlpool and starts sucking air.

I have an idea to test my theory. Cut a piece of old scrap acrylic that is the same width as your baffles and only about 3 in tall.

Then use a clamp and clamp it to the first 'Over' baffle so that is raises that baffle by 1/2 and inch to an inch.

If this is the case then there are several methods for lowering the second 'Over' baffle without having to tear it out.
Cool thanks. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Unread 06/22/2012, 09:57 AM   #169
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:

I actually had a piece of leftover acryllic lying around that didn't need to be cut in order to try this out. I followed your directions and i increased the water level. Keep in mind I only did this as a learning factor, it didn't need to be done as my problem was solved by lowering the water level. Anyway, the increased height of that baffle made even more of a wave- actually alot worse and had to shut system down as it was getting dangerous.
Here's a pic of the wave.

Unread 06/22/2012, 10:28 AM   #170
BigOldReef
Registered Member

I think you have the reason for the waves. All the baffles are the same height across the length of the sump. Raising the over baffle on the left side causes more water on the right side of the sump to have to push up and over creating the wave.

Each sequential 'over' baffle should be lower than the prior one.

Now change this sump design to be located over your tank and you might be able to build a cool and unique surge system

Unread 06/22/2012, 10:47 AM   #171
WEBBERIII
Registered Member

I wonder what it would do if you put a 90 or a 45 degree fitting on it. Would it stop the waves ?

WEBBERIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2012, 11:33 AM   #172
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
I think you have the reason for the waves. All the baffles are the same height across the length of the sump. Raising the over baffle on the left side causes more water on the right side of the sump to have to push up and over creating the wave.

Each sequential 'over' baffle should be lower than the prior one.

Now change this sump design to be located over your tank and you might be able to build a cool and unique surge system
I agree but in my research of DIY sump designs I never heard that each subsequent baffle should be lower. If so , it's an easy although not be a pretty fix. All I have to do is add a two inch lip on first baffle and a one inch lip on second baffle.

I believe there's another underlying cause, possibly the way water is entering sump.

Either way I don't need to do anything as long as water level in last return section is set at a lower level.

It was a good learning experience and the koi pond enjoyed the water change since I just emptied tank and sump using a new garden hose and mag 18.

Unread 06/22/2012, 12:43 PM   #173
WEBBERIII
Registered Member

That's what I just said lol...

WEBBERIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/22/2012, 04:13 PM   #174
jt48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBBERIII View Post
That's what I just said lol...
Gotcha like texting before someone else replies lol

Unread 06/26/2012, 07:09 PM   #175
jt48
Registered Member

Aquascaping

Worked on the aquascaping today. Originally wanted to go more minimalistic but I over bought from BRS (200 lbs Pukani and 100 pounds Branch). About 40 pounds not being used. Tried to leave clearance on left, center and right for MP40's to be placed on back wall.

Opinions welcome and open to suggestions.

FTS

Closeup Left

Closeup Center

Closeup Right