dose cycle (controls multiple things)
clean cycle (controls multiple things)
monitor temp
freeze on
freeze off
fan on
fan off
status alerts

Those are just the basic functions of the top of my head so if there is no integrated controller you have a minimum of 5 cords to plug in to your controller outlet strip. Sounds messy and it is actually pretty expensive to dedicate that many control outlets on a strip. Our unit will absolutely have an integrated controller to handle all of these functions and more because in the long run it is actually the most cost effective way to go. What we are looking for with regards to external controllers is simply an interface to monitor and override some of the functions, possibly make the "alerts" more robust by handing off to a email client etc, not as a means for complete control. It will be an option, not a separate product. The size of the unit is along the lines of a 2l bottle of soda, not a dorm fridge, some will have room and some will not.
Sounds like you already have it in a compact form. I cannot wait to find out more. MACNA is so long from now

kenman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 12:21 PM   #27
Halfmoon61
Registered Member

Awesome idea, if crowd funded I'd throw a bit your way.

Current Tank Info: 150 Peninsula
Halfmoon61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2014, 12:26 PM   #28
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoon61 View Post
Awesome idea, if crowd funded I'd throw a bit your way.
Yes, I would do the same. I have seen KS's for aquarium items before. Might want to do IGG though so you can start immediately using the funds to produce the item before the campaign even ends. I have helped consult other companies before when going the crowd funding route and would be happy to put you in contact with one or two folks that can help you ride that wave and give you experienced advice.

Unread 08/26/2014, 11:13 AM   #29
kenman345
Registered Member

So as MACNA approaches, where would you say the best place to look for news about any announcements from Avast would be? Particularly, where do I need to set my browser to refresh every 5 seconds in anticipation?

Unread 08/29/2014, 05:50 PM   #30
kenman345
Registered Member

anyone got any information?

Unread 09/03/2014, 02:27 AM   #31
seregus
Registered Member

I would love to here the news and order my one at the same second!

seregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 05:13 PM   #32
caribfan
Registered Member

Inquiring minds what to know.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 06:31 PM   #33
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

I haven't seen any news that it was introduced at MACNA, so I guess it's not ready yet.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 06:46 PM   #34
caribfan
Registered Member

bummer.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2014, 08:27 AM   #35
kenman345
Registered Member

yep, a product like this is desperately lacking in the consumer level products out currently. This could be a very successful product if they can hit the mark in performance and price. I would happily pre-order it now without any further details than we have already received, as long as it guarantees me to get it in the next 6 months, even if it's not going to be a product they produce in the future anymore.

Unread 09/04/2014, 12:40 PM   #36
kenman345
Registered Member

I want to add, if Avast comes out with this product, it would be cool to be able to add a mixing/holding liquids section to add vitamins in before feedings so we can even automate vitamin enrichment of frozen foods as close to feeding as possible even when we are away.

Unread 09/17/2014, 01:03 PM   #37
kenman345
Registered Member

Still no news or anything on this? Is it a product that is even getting any more attention or consideration?

Unread 09/17/2014, 01:18 PM   #38
xrayjeeper83
Registered Member

VERY interested in this. Was just talking to a friend about something like this. I'd rather feed my frozen food then pellets all the time. Very excited to see someone is seemingly so close to production

xrayjeeper83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2014, 08:29 PM   #39
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenman345 View Post
Still no news or anything on this? Is it a product that is even getting any more attention or consideration?
Sorry, no real news. But it is in active testing and development. The food metering system is one of the significant challenges and I think we now have a good solution.

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/19/2014, 07:36 AM   #40
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenophore View Post
Sorry, no real news. But it is in active testing and development. The food metering system is one of the significant challenges and I think we now have a good solution.
Awesome. See, news of any type is re-assuring and while not that I wanna hear about delays, but it's good to know that you have a problem to address which is important functionality and that you are not releasing a half-hearted product. I look forward to hearing more as your development continues.

Unread 09/30/2014, 01:12 PM   #41
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Hows the food metering system going?

Unread 10/08/2014, 02:52 PM   #42
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Bump because it's another week and we havent heard anything. Almost a month since this last post about it. Can we at least getting a mockingly annoying smiley face reply to our inquiries?

Unread 10/15/2014, 08:02 PM   #43
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Good progress in the past few weeks! Sorry, no details or pics as it's a novel solution to the problem assuming it works out in real world testing. Thanks for checking in.

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2014, 08:37 PM   #44
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Good progress in the past few weeks! Sorry, no details or pics as it's a novel solution to the problem assuming it works out in real world testing. Thanks for checking in.
Happy to help test that :-D

Unread 10/22/2014, 06:11 PM   #45
Crazy35111
Registered Member

Any idea if this unit will be ready by the end of the year? Going to need to get a unit constructed by Jan, but if this unit is close, I'd prefer the Avast quality.

Crazy35111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2014, 08:33 AM   #46
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy35111 View Post
Any idea if this unit will be ready by the end of the year? Going to need to get a unit constructed by Jan, but if this unit is close, I'd prefer the Avast quality.
I cannot agree more. I want this item talked about, build some hype, make it worth it to bring it to market with tons of pre-orders. There are no consumer ready hobbyist marketed frozen food feeders. All items close are meant for large scale usage and are custom built solutions. If they really have such a small space consuming feeder, then this will be explosive when it hits the market.

Unread 10/24/2014, 11:01 AM   #47
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

We are in the process of building and then moving to our new manufacturing facility. Once this is done (hopefully before year end) we will be able to hire more staff and move forward with projects that have been on back burner a while. The next 3 months are historically our busiest of the year as well, so while I would like to say the feeder will be ready by Christmas, it simply isn't going to happen.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2014, 11:05 AM   #48
kenman345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast Marine View Post
We are in the process of building and then moving to our new manufacturing facility. Once this is done (hopefully before year end) we will be able to hire more staff and move forward with projects that have been on back burner a while. The next 3 months are historically our busiest of the year as well, so while I would like to say the feeder will be ready by Christmas, it simply isn't going to happen.

Glad to hear why we havent been hearing too much about this.

Sign me up for the beta program if you're looking for anyone willing to participate. I hope you guys let us know when you are able to give more focus to this project.

Unread 10/24/2014, 11:09 AM   #49
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Well we have been working on it in a way Seriously, we are just completely maxed out in our current space and this will give us lots more room to grow the operation.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2014, 11:11 AM   #50
Crazy35111
Registered Member

Thanks for the update +1 on beta testing

Crazy35111 is offline   Reply With Quote