Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/06/2016, 08:34 PM   #1
SPotter
Registered Member

Issues with Spy Glass Reactor

I am using the spy glass reactor with PO4x4 media and the first few days it worked great but the flow was too high so media was accumulating at the top and eventually reduced the flow. I reduced the flow and now its not enough and I barely get any tumble. I have tried increasing little by little but I have to say its a pain because a couple of times the got under the ball so when removed the media chamber from the base, media came pouring out.

Anyone else using this reactor with PO4x4 media????

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 09:11 PM   #2
twatkins521
Registered Member

I use the Spy Glass Medium size reactor with the PO4x4 media with very few issues. If you have the fine resin mesh screen installed correctly in the bottom of the reactor cone, you should not have any issues wth the media pouring out of the bottom.

I have between 300 and 400ml of the PO4X4 media tumbling in mine now. I last changed it out about 2 weeks ago. I use a Sicce Syncra 1.5 pump dialed back to about 35 to 40% of its max output and things tumble fine with very little if any media escaping from the reactor. I do not even bother using any of the sponge filters that come with the reactor. Just the fine mesh screen on the bottom of the cone and the fine mesh screen in the top.

The only issue I have is the mesh screen at the bottom will clog up with detritus from the sump and I have to clean it every other week,or so to keep the flow constant thru the reactor.

twatkins521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2016, 09:26 PM   #3
SPotter
Registered Member

I think I'm missing the mesh screen on the bottom because the media pours out. I'm noticing the screen on the top is my issue. It's clogging and preventing flow.

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
Unread 05/07/2016, 06:20 AM   #4
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Hi Steve,

For resin medias this is how you want it setup:

Bottom stainless screen, no ball, top plate should be opened up and you put the foam disk below the stainless disk and reassemble. You want the flow to to be very gentile so it just moves barely moves the media.

The bottom screen prevents media backflow and removing the ball makes the flow less "touchy" with the resin media. The foam under the ss mesh in the top prevents the screen from clogging there.

I have personally never used po4x4 but this works very well with the other resin medias I have personally tested.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2016, 06:23 AM   #5
SPotter
Registered Member

Was just about to post an update. My top screen was definitely part of the problem. I cleaned it last night and I'm getting a nice gentle tumble now. I'm going to look for the other pieces you mentioned but don't think I have them. Is it possible to get replacements?

Unread 05/10/2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPotter View Post
Was just about to post an update. My top screen was definitely part of the problem. I cleaned it last night and I'm getting a nice gentle tumble now. I'm going to look for the other pieces you mentioned but don't think I have them. Is it possible to get replacements?
Thanks for updating, shoot us an email through the contact form on our site and we will get you any parts you are missing.

Unread 05/17/2016, 11:51 AM   #7
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

I'm considering getting one of these Spy Glass reactors for PO4X4 media. Are these only used in sump? I would like to run mine external to a sump. Are there any You Tube videos on these?

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2016, 08:07 AM   #8
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRESOURCE View Post
I'm considering getting one of these Spy Glass reactors for PO4X4 media. Are these only used in sump? I would like to run mine external to a sump. Are there any You Tube videos on these?
They are in sump only. There are a few videos by us and a few videos by others on youtube.

While we are discussing po4 medias here, I do want to mention briefly (will go into more detail in a separate thread) how wonderfully seachem Phosguard works in the spyglass. It is a heavier media so requires the same pump configuration as all in one biopellets but it tumbles really well, it is very clean and easy to use, is cost effective and lowers the po4 slowly instead of quickly which is a great advantage. On my personal tank I use 300ml in a small spyglass change once a month. This is a 500 gallon system. For the initial dropping of po4 I had a reading of .42 measured with a hanna bench meter. 500ml in the small spyglass dropped the reading to .23 gradually in two weeks. Another 500ml dropped it to .04 in another two weeks. The 300ml is now a maintenance amount and I don't project the po4 readings to move up at all.

Unread 05/19/2016, 05:38 PM   #9
SPotter
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast Marine View Post
They are in sump only. There are a few videos by us and a few videos by others on youtube.

While we are discussing po4 medias here, I do want to mention briefly (will go into more detail in a separate thread) how wonderfully seachem Phosguard works in the spyglass. It is a heavier media so requires the same pump configuration as all in one biopellets but it tumbles really well, it is very clean and easy to use, is cost effective and lowers the po4 slowly instead of quickly which is a great advantage. On my personal tank I use 300ml in a small spyglass change once a month. This is a 500 gallon system. For the initial dropping of po4 I had a reading of .42 measured with a hanna bench meter. 500ml in the small spyglass dropped the reading to .23 gradually in two weeks. Another 500ml dropped it to .04 in another two weeks. The 300ml is now a maintenance amount and I don't project the po4 readings to move up at all.
Dan,
which sicce pump are you using on the small reactor?

Unread 05/20/2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Dan,
which sicce pump are you using on the small reactor?
Sicce Syncra .5 and the pump needs to be run external for this application using the manifold parts since the larger Sicce pumps don't fit in the small Spyglass.

Unread 06/02/2016, 03:42 PM   #11
SPotter
Registered Member

Dan,
What kind of tumble do you have with the phosguard?

Unread 06/03/2016, 07:06 AM   #12
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Dan,
What kind of tumble do you have with the phosguard?
We used the black mesh top and bottom screen with no ball and set the flow for the slowest possibly tumble so the media was suspended and moving but not rolling hard. This was Seachem's specific recommendation when we were discussing it with them.

Unread 06/03/2016, 07:17 AM   #13
SPotter
Registered Member

Ok I need to get the wire mesh bottom. I put 500ml in the med size reactor with the pump wide open with the ball and I'm not getting any movement at all. I'm pretty sure I have the sicce .5.

Unread 06/13/2016, 07:40 PM   #14
SPotter
Registered Member

Update....

I got the mesh attachment last Thursday and immediately made the changes on the reactor by removing the ball and putting in the mesh. I already had 500ml of phosguard in the reactor and it was pretty easy to make the change without removing the media. I hooked everything back up but still wasnt getting any tumble. After a few emails back and forth we determined that the pump was too small to make the media tumble but Dan suggested that I continue with it and see what happens. My po4 was .06 when I started it on Thursday. By saturday it had dropped to .03 and now today its down to .00 ppm. It has taken a little time for me to get used to the reactor but now that I have running properly I think its a great reactor and the customer service has been top notch! Thank you Dan for all of your help.

Unread 08/10/2016, 12:17 PM   #15
JWClark
Registered Member

Instead of creating a new thread, thought I'd ask here:

I have the small reactor and have been trying to consistently tumble GFO w/ 1/2 cup ROX. First I tried 1 cup BRS standard GFO w/ the reactor set up in indirect recirc mode. After 3-4 days everything stopped tumbling and the GFO turned the tank cloudy from orange dust. Tried half cup GFO w/ half cup carbon, same result. Switched to half cup rowaphos and half cup ROX w/ the reactor set up to single pass mode to reduce flow. Worked for 1 week but now it is just sitting there again--but no dust at least. I increased the flow to max and it tumbled for an hour before stopping again. Now it only has the slightest movement at the top of the carbon on one side.

What do I need to do to keep a consistent tumble for more than a week? Would like it to tumble the full month before changing media but it is clearly channeling to one side of the reactor now. Should I remove the ball and use the screen?

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 08:15 AM   #16
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWClark View Post
Instead of creating a new thread, thought I'd ask here:

I have the small reactor and have been trying to consistently tumble GFO w/ 1/2 cup ROX. First I tried 1 cup BRS standard GFO w/ the reactor set up in indirect recirc mode. After 3-4 days everything stopped tumbling and the GFO turned the tank cloudy from orange dust. Tried half cup GFO w/ half cup carbon, same result. Switched to half cup rowaphos and half cup ROX w/ the reactor set up to single pass mode to reduce flow. Worked for 1 week but now it is just sitting there again--but no dust at least. I increased the flow to max and it tumbled for an hour before stopping again. Now it only has the slightest movement at the top of the carbon on one side.

What do I need to do to keep a consistent tumble for more than a week? Would like it to tumble the full month before changing media but it is clearly channeling to one side of the reactor now. Should I remove the ball and use the screen?
Yes, you are exactly correct. You should remove the ball and use the metal lower screen in its place. Sorry the instruction manual is not more clear about the screen configurations but we are working to improve that. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Unread 08/20/2016, 04:52 AM   #17
JWClark
Registered Member

Removing the ball and using the screen seems to have done the trick. Been running a week w/ no decrease in tumble.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2016, 05:57 PM   #18
Maximus
Registered Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just ordered a small Spyglass and was wondering about the metal screen. Any chance of this screen leeching harmful metals in the tank? I was wondering if there's a plastic screen that we could use in place of the metal one?

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2016, 02:59 PM   #19
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I just ordered a small Spyglass and was wondering about the metal screen. Any chance of this screen leeching harmful metals in the tank? I was wondering if there's a plastic screen that we could use in place of the metal one?
Hi Maximus,

The screen is 316 stainless steel, which is considered "marine grade" due to its near corrosion resistance. Many common pump parts are also made from this material. While it's impossible to say that it could never corrode, we haven't had any experience or complaints about it causing any trouble in a reef tank. I use several of them on my personal system, as does Dan.

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2016, 03:01 PM   #20
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

We do ship it with plastic screens as well. But we've found we get the best performance with the ultra fine steel mesh for tiny media like Purigen or PO4x4. I use the steel mesh for Rox carbon as well, until it hydrates, then I take to top screen off completely.

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2016, 08:24 PM   #21
Maximus
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to be using the reactor primarily for rox carbon. I'll go ahead and try the metal screen.

Current Tank Info: 36x36x16 A.G.E. tank. Lighting: ATI Straton. Circulation: 2x Vortech MP40wQd's. Skimmer: Red Sea 300. Controller: Neptune Apex. Doser: Neptune Dos.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote