Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/25/2016, 05:18 PM   #1
vitodog
Registered Member

Spyglass problems

I just got my Spyglass media reactor (small) yesterday. I tried running Rox carbon in it but the carbon just flows out of the top of the reactor and when I place the screen top on, all the carbon just clumps at the top and does not tumble at all. What am I doing wrong and what is the recommended mode for Rox carbon? Thank you.

Unread 05/26/2016, 08:01 AM   #2
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Hi, the Rox carbon is full of millions of air pockets. It needs to soak in water for 24 hours before use so it saturates and doesn't float. The easiest way to do this is to fill the reactor with carbon, and use the top screen. Then turn the pump on with the valve barely cracked so it keeps the barely pushing through the reactor. After 24-48 hours all the air pockets will be gone and you can simply lift the reactor off the base and all the saturated carbon will fall to the bottom, then you can adjust flow so it fluidizes. Once you know that valve position for rox carbon, the next time you change it out you can simply put it on the reactor with the correct flow rate already set and after 48 hours you just lift it off for 30 seconds and drop it back on and it should be perfectly fluidizing.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 09:24 AM   #3
vitodog
Registered Member

Dan, thank you for the quick response. I will do as you suggest.

Unread 12/07/2016, 01:37 PM   #4
mpierce
Registered Member

Doesn't fluidizing the carbon cause it to break apart into dust? what about using a carbon/gfo mix?

120 - RETIRED
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2016, 07:28 AM   #5
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpierce View Post
Doesn't fluidizing the carbon cause it to break apart into dust? what about using a carbon/gfo mix?
We recommend rox. 8 carbon for the spyglass, it is a hard extruded carbon and does not break into dust. It fluidizes nicely with High capacity GFO as shown here: https://youtu.be/3TwUoy0uOJI

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote