Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2016, 06:32 AM   #1
JWClark
Registered Member

Spyglass tumble problems

Starting a new thread to see if I can get a response/guidance:

I have the small reactor and have been trying to consistently tumble GFO w/ 1/2 cup ROX. First I tried 1 cup BRS standard GFO w/ the reactor set up in indirect recirc mode. After 3-4 days everything stopped tumbling and the GFO turned the tank cloudy from orange dust. Tried half cup GFO w/ half cup carbon, same result. Switched to half cup rowaphos and half cup ROX w/ the reactor set up to single pass mode to reduce flow. Worked for 1 week but now it is just sitting there again--but no dust at least. I increased the flow to max and it tumbled for an hour before stopping again. Now it only has the slightest movement at the top of the carbon on one side.

What do I need to do to keep a consistent tumble for more than a week? Would like it to tumble the full month before changing media but it is clearly channeling to one side of the reactor now. Should I remove the ball and use the screen?

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 06:44 AM   #2
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Usually the ball works very well for Rox and HC GFO (like Rowaphos). You can try the screen, but I'm curious if using just Rox with the ball in single pass mode works for you. Could you save the current media mix, and replace it with only Rox as a test? Then if that works, add a tsp at a time of Rowa back into the mix to see if you still get that slowdown.

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2016, 09:38 AM   #3
JWClark
Registered Member

I think w/ ROX alone it is fine. I think what is going on is that, over time, the GFO pieces are locking together like a puzzle and eventually stop tumbling completely. W/ Rowa it was good for a week.

Another thought: I installed the black sponge on the top screen after the first GFO dissolved (I think the regular GFO is just too soft). I haven't removed this and, after a week, it was orange from the previous GFO dust. This dust has settled in the sump so when I stir things up it gets into the reactor. I'm wondering if this has restricted the flow through, contributing to the slow down in the tumbling. Will remove this week end.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
Unread 08/20/2016, 04:53 AM   #4
JWClark
Registered Member

Replacing the ball with the screen seems to have solved the problem.