Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/06/2017, 08:33 AM   #1
Ajae
Registered Member

ATO on New Apex

I ordered the ATO with the Neptune connection, it comes with the min-pin connection. When I plugged that into the head unit it shuts down and resets. I was under the impression that I wouldn't need a breakout box for this. Some help this please.

Ajae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2017, 12:07 PM   #2
Ajae
Registered Member

Unread 01/08/2017, 03:08 PM   #3
MJNTWise
7 Year Newbie

From there web site....

"Neptune Apex uses a "minidin-8" style plug. To use this, simply plug into the port marked "I/O" on the controller, and program according to instructions If you already have something plugged in to that port, you will want to use their Breakout Box and select the "bare wire" option below"

Current Tank Info: 180 gal. 40B gal. sump. 100 lbs live rock, Duel Cor 20 return pump,30"lifereef skimmer,4 MP 40, 4 XR15w Pro 4 with 2 50/50 reefbrites, Apex Control
MJNTWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Ajae
Registered Member

Yes I know, that's why I ordered the minidin style plug, because I don't have anything plugged into that port. My question wasn't if I ordered the correct plug, t was how to have it recognized so I can program it.

"Neptune Apex uses a "minidin-8" style plug. To use this, simply plug into the port marked "I/O" on the controller, and program according to instructions If you already have something plugged in to that port, you will want to use their Breakout Box and select the "bare wire" option below"[/QUOTE]

Unread 01/09/2017, 06:48 AM   #5
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

I think the confusion came from the Neptune unit resetting itself. This is unique to the new Apex units and I think it is a good thing and they may implement it on older Apex units with a firmware update. The unit used to occasionally require a reboot to "see" a switch in dashboard so the auto reboot gives you one less thing to think about. Either way we worked out this issue via a support ticket and it is running well now.

The switches themselves are not programmed, the outlet is programmed to perform an action based on a switch position so in all cases it is best to program your outlet first, then plug in the switch, let it reboot and test the outlet to see if it performs the desired action.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2017, 07:01 AM   #6
Ajae
Registered Member

I was able to get it working this is what I sent to Dan over at Avast, the problem seems to be with the Newest Apex hardware.

Ok so it looks like I got it! Since I'm running the “New” Apex it might differ from what some people have experienced. When you plug in head unit into the minidin connection on the main unit on the Apex the whole system resets and the power bar goes orange, however the main unit goes blue. I then needed to reconnect the apex to my home wireless just like you do when you first get the unit. after that you might go to the power bar and select update firmware (even though the Apex will say it’s running on the latest version) after that SW1 showed as “closed” I connected a pump into a outlet set it up as ATO and ran the following code:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON

The system now works, I blew into the tube and the ATO pump turns off and on when not. Like I said maybe I'm having this issue because I'm running the 2016 Apex unit

Last edited by Ajae; 01/09/2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: mispelling
Unread 01/09/2017, 07:08 AM   #7
Ajae
Registered Member

If anyone needs help setting it up let me know. The ATO is running great.

Unread 01/29/2017, 11:21 AM   #8
illumnae
Registered Member

Is the default switch SW1? I just set up my Avast ATO on the new 2016 Apex (took me 3 hours due to having to troubleshoot "apex.local" not working) and wanted to make sure I programmed it right.

Thanks!

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Ajae
Registered Member

yes it is, you have to reset, then reconnect the apex.