Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2019, 01:00 AM   #26
scattered
Registered Member

I was at the LFS today
I bought some snails, and shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 02/27/2019, 10:34 PM   #27
scattered
Registered Member

Well despite my hammering on patience to every new reefer I've gone off my established timeline.

I posted this on Facebook Sunday:

Quote:
4 days after adding inverts and I went off script and bought my fish. The feather duster worm I had gotten was dead indeed on arrival (I had hopes and you are instructed to lay it on substrate despite appearing dead). I found the porcelain crab also dead on day two, I suspect there was a big ammonia hit. The worm and about 1/2 the snails did not make it 🤨 I have not had this problem with Live Aquaria before but I picked the worst week possible for shipping. Ammonia tested .25ppm Friday night and zero on Saturday.

Yesterday I picked up a new cleaner (skunk) shrimp and 5 turban snails. No problems acclimating. I also bought the rest of the test kits I need. Calcium, magnesium, phosphate, and hardness/AK. The last could be higher but it is totally within range. Everything is is spot on.

Today I went to Pet Smart for 2 part AK/PH/calcium buffer and...

They had aquaculture black saddleback clowns for a quarter the price they sell them for at the local fish store. I replaced the feather duster worm and added a pair of saddlebacks (their dorsal fin is saddle shaped).

I am thinking of Where the Red Fern Grows for names. I should name them if they are the only verts in the tank right?
Today I posted this:

Quote:
Earlier today I was making a late lunch and glanced at the tank on the way from kitchen to desk. To my horror both clowns are on the substrate and my heart races. They had been eating well, not hugely active, but nothing I was concerned over the past few days. 'Little Ann' was on her* side and a nassarius snail and the conch were right there and I was afraid she was already becoming a snack. I quickly turned to the other side of the sand and 'Big Dan' is almost upside down on the sand. I turn back a few seconds later and Ann is swimming contentedly in her* normal spot. I turn back to Dan and catch him wriggling in the sand (right side up now) and making a burrow. After < 4 days these two have mated up and started spawning. I have a feeling the are both male at the moment, but Dan was the most serious about making a nest so I suspect Ann may turn and live up to her* name (the male makes the nest and watches over the brood until they hatch). Who knows maybe after 5-6 spawns I may try my hand at raising the fry. I am really hoping to see some egg laying.

In any case the fact that they are trying says they like the conditions in the tank quite a bit. Even after I calmed down, I still ran the normal tests to make sure nothing was off so bad it would be killing fish. They looked suffocated and I was worried about a major PH problem or ammonia. I had no idea what else could come on in ~30 minutes it had been since I had last looked at the tank.
https://youtu.be/6uFloZqdnfE

Yes I went off script and added earlier than I planned. Please note that I am not new at this. Despite my hiatus have around 25 years experience keeping marine tanks and close to that reef tanks (my dad and brothers kept lionfish and anemones in the early 70's that we somehow kept alive through several moves into the late 80's). I am cautiously optimistic. I almost feel like I dotted all the i's and crossed the t's before putting water in this time.

My decision to add invertebrates a month early was heavily influenced by the fact that after adding the initial invertebrates the cycle was established enough that only a minor ammonia spike was seen despite fairly significant losses in tank of snails, crab, and feather duster worm (Aquarium Depot refunded the DOAs - super solid company in my experience). Subsequent livestock additions were zero fatality as I would hope. For the record I do a minimum 1 hour float and then drip acclimation on all livestock (not the macro algae this time but in the future - no reason not too). These were the first vertebrates in the tank and I decided to forego QT for that reason however there is already a QT tank on hold for the court jester goby I want to add in a while.

I will NOT add coral prior to June 1 unless my calcium, mg, alk, and phos stay right where they are for 90 days...oh wait, that's around June 1st isn't it...

Unread 03/09/2019, 01:59 AM   #28
scattered
Registered Member

I ordered an AI Prime HD and mount the other day to replace the stock LED bar(s). I will use one to light my refugium chamber. The other will go on my QT tank. I am considering adding a Biota mandarin. After QT is no longer needed, I'll use it in the stand I build if I feel the need for a refugium underneath. I said in a different thread I will be adding an automated daily water change system to cycle ~10% a day. I need to pick up a new heater and power head for mixing water tomorrow.

Things are getting dialed in but I see an apex controller in my future

Unread 03/09/2019, 09:03 AM   #29
748S911
Registered Member

Great build, love the rock scape

748S911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2019, 11:44 PM   #30
scattered
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 748S911 View Post
Great build, love the rock scape

They fell lucky. No joke

I have epoxy and I am considering drilling and using rod to make it look like this permanently. I want to solidify things for a good 6 months first though.

Unread 03/11/2019, 11:15 PM   #31
scattered
Registered Member

I got the mount for the AI HD today and hooked it up. I programmed with the BRS recommendation and scheduled an 11 hour sunup to sundown with 1 hour ramp in and out. Lighting has come a long way in ~10 years.

I pulled the trigger on the dragonet and my QT is ready for her to arrive anytime. I went Biota for the obvious reasons. I did keep a dragonet alive for a few years back in the day (I got lucky with food) and I cannot wait to see the new vert.

I have decided to build a custom ‘island’ stand for this tank that will contain a pair of 10 gallons for new water and wastewater. I will automate daily water changes. I will put my auto top off reservoir underneath also. My only question at the moment is how lonely the tank would look on an island.

I do not think there is a huge amount of bio diversity in the live rock I got from the LFS. I have seen no bristle worms (I have one local reefer I could ask). There is denitrifying bacteria and pods but no worms (serpulids) in the Moani rock and nothing to write home about in the Real Reef rubble I bought for the chamber I am using for the refugium.

In addition to the dragonet I picked up the algaebarn refugium starter pack which includes pods, phytoplankton, Macroalgae (lettuce in this case), and some cycling cubes that I don’t know what I’ll do with. I also stocked a pair of jars of nano brine. I think this should bridge the transition from QT to DT and gives me plenty to stock the DT and refugium chamber pretty heavily with pods. I am not deficient in pods at the moment but I would like to see more than I do before I add a mandarin to it, the clowns are pigs.

Unread 03/13/2019, 09:49 PM   #32
scattered
Registered Member

I cancelled my algae barn order and reordered from Live Aquaria. Two days after I placed the order with AB they wanted more money for shipping. I got a sketchy feeling about the company for reasons. Hopefully I get my refund.

Unread 03/21/2019, 12:35 AM   #33
scattered
Registered Member

The green algae on the rock is a great sign of what I call hardening. Higher order algaes are out competing cyano and hair algae. Coralline can be seen on glass on plastic parts. The green often gives way to coralline from here given adequate calcium and trace elements.

Unread 03/21/2019, 03:35 PM   #34
houstonreefer
Registered Member

Nice setup

houstonreefer is offline   Reply With Quote