Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/23/2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Simran
Registered Member

Arrow Rehoming my mantis (Gonodactylaceus ternatensis)

I originally got this Mantis shrimp from my lfs when my girlfriend used to work there. She was putting coral on a rack from a shipment when this little inch long mantis shot out from the frag she was handling. She quickly got a net and bagged the mantis up. We brought it home and put it in our main 80 gallon reef tank it quickly darted out of the bag and disappeared into the live rock. We didn't see the mantis for about 3 months and had actually forgotten all about it.
The day the mantis decided to show its self is when I was rearranging my live rock, I was picking up a small rock which was apparently the top of its den. Lets just say when a mantis shrimp doesn't approve of something they have an excellent way of showing it. All I heard was the whack and and felt an instant rush of pain on my index finger. I quickly withdrew my hand from the rock and the mantis popped its head out with arms fully extended with that "Don't f*** with me pose". From that point on we saw eye to eye. Fast forward a year later, the shrimp has been a pretty good citizen it had only killed 4 of my fish (2 dragonettes, 1 blenny, and 1 multicolor angel) this wasn't such a shocker because they died months apart from each other. It is very social and comes out every time i feed my fish. It takes krill off the chopstick. I took the mantis shrimp out of my main tank yesterday and put it in the sump after it decided to whack my new blue hippo tang right after I let it out of the bag.

So anyway, sorry for the long story. I'm looking for someone who would give this mantis shrimp a good home. I don't really want to ship it but I would for the right person.
I live in Monterey, CA and I would be willing to drive as far as San Francisco to deliver the shrimp or the you could always pick him up. I'm not looking for any financial compensation besides shipping charges or gas money.

The mantis is about 4" long, sex is unknown, I believe that it's a Gonodactylaceus ternatensis, and before it's latest mold it was a dark emerald colour.

You can respond here or to my e-mail:
acooper7989@gmail.com

Sorry for the poor quality of the photos.

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon bow front reef with 40 gallon sump
Simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2010, 09:34 AM   #2
TheSurgeon
Registered Member

Id be interested, but somehow I doubt you want to drive to Kentucky to deliver it. Looks nice though.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed LPS and Softie tank being converted to FOWLR, 50 gallon custom acrylic cylinder tank being made into a mixed reef
TheSurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Fretfreak13
I am not a boy!

I'd love to have him too, but can't come pick him up. lol Why not check around the Cali reef-clubs?

Fretfreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2010, 12:40 PM   #4
sandiegan
Registered Member

I'll take it. Not sure when I'm next heading down that way, but if you'd like to meet halfway in Gilroy I'm sure we could work out a time. BTW, what's the LFS down there?

sandiegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california, mantis, rehome, shrimp