Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/31/2011, 05:27 PM   #1
slief
RC Sponsor

Got my Avast Mutiny III!!! Thanks Avast!

After speaking to 3 different Ozone reactor manufacturers, I decided to go with the Avast Mutiny III. Justin at Avast Marine was extremely helpful and knowledgable as well as very responsive which really helped me make my decision as to which way to go.

I ordered the reactor on Tuesday. They shipped it same day and it arrived today.

I have to say that I definately made the right choice. This is a very well made unit. It utilizes venturi injector to aid in atomizing the ozone into the water. The water/ozone combination is dumped into a drip plate which insures that the water mix is adequetly distributed over the reactor medium as it makes it way to the bottom of the reactor. From there, the water is driven up a stand pipe and out the top of the reactor. The quality of this unit is as nice as I have ever seen. They offer this reactor assembled as well as in DIY form with glue included.. I chose to go with Assembled out of sheer convenience coupled with the fact that they had it in stock.

The reactor includes an air meter to insure that the air/ozone pressure going into the reactor is sufficient. A Luft air pump will be used to drive the ozone into the venturi. I had a stainless steel liquid filled pressure gauge from my DIY ozone reactor that I didnt end up using so I had Justin add a threaded port on the top of the reactor so I could install it. The additional pressure gauge will give me the ability to monitor pressure inside of the reactor. Since the reactors effluent will be run through a carbon reactor, I figure having this pressure gauge will give me the ability to tell when my carbon is getting clogged, reducing flow and increasing pressure inside the reactor.

That said, I have to admit that I am EXTREMELY impressed with this unit and its build quality. You can tell they put a lot of thought into the design and didn't cut any corners. Couple that with their responsive nature and excellent pre and post sales support and you have the makings of a really great company!

I used to run a Red Sea Aquazone Plus 200 ozonizor on the tank which was run through a skimmer. The new reactor will be using an Ozotech Poseidon 200Mg/Hr unit. If I find that the 200Mg isn't enough, I will add a second Poseidon.

The ozone initially will be controlled by my Apex. I plan on adding an ORP controller to control the Ozone and at that point, my Apex will become the failsafe.

With a bit of luck, I will have it installed tonight and will update the thread with some photos of my install.

My tank is 480G plus a large sump and fuge. I've had the tank for more than 15 years and has been up more than 7 years since it was last broken down. If you would like to read more about the tank, my RC build thread is here and will include the Ozone reactor as part of the updates.

If I ever need any other reactors of any type, Avast will be my first call. Thanks again Avast and Justin!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2011, 09:45 PM   #2
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Thanks for the nice words, Scott!

Reading above, I just realized when we were talking about running the ozone generators in series vs. parallel, for some reason I was thinking running parallel reactors not generators. I agree that you probably want to tee the luft into parallel generators. If you use identical generators and the same length airline, then tee them back into a single line before the venturi, you should get pretty close to even airflow between the two units (without valves), and still have the required air volume into the reactor. Hope this makes sense. Any questions just let me know.

On my reactor, I've found that reactor pressure decreases over time, rather than carbon getting clogged and increasing internal pressure. It is almost always due to the pump intake screen getting clogged and starving the pump for water. I haven't seen carbon get clogged yet. The ozone is going to break down a lot of the particulate matter that makes it into the reactor. Make sure to periodically check the venturi nozzle for buildup or debris as that can negatively affect internal pressure as well.

Justin

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2011, 09:06 PM   #3
vamaro
Registered Member

Slief, do you have any pics of your ozone set-up with the Avast reactor? Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Tank 72L x 30W x 24H, FOWLR, APEX Controller, ATB 1260 (Large) with Airstar 2000, Ozotech Ozone with Avast Reactor, Tripplite 750 Inverter with Optima Batteries, 72' Current USA Extreme Pro T5 light
vamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Rick-IEMAS
Registered Member

Can you provide an updaye on how the reactor is working. I am investigating the purchase of a new ozoen reacotr for my 300G

Rick-IEMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2011, 02:21 PM   #5
vamaro
Registered Member

I just placed an order for a Mutiny II. I will post some pics once I get everything set-up.

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Tank 72L x 30W x 24H, FOWLR, APEX Controller, ATB 1260 (Large) with Airstar 2000, Ozotech Ozone with Avast Reactor, Tripplite 750 Inverter with Optima Batteries, 72' Current USA Extreme Pro T5 light
Unread 08/27/2013, 12:38 AM   #6
bullitr
broke but happy

Scott how do you like it?
I am looking for one myself
Thanks

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2013, 11:46 PM   #7
vamaro
Registered Member

Lawrence, I am very happy with the reactor. It's well built and easy to set up. You will still need to make something to contain the ozone odor. I made something from PVC that works great. Let me know if you need any help.

Unread 08/29/2013, 05:47 PM   #8
bullitr
broke but happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamaro View Post
Lawrence, I am very happy with the reactor. It's well built and easy to set up. You will still need to make something to contain the ozone odor. I made something from PVC that works great. Let me know if you need any help.
Thanks Vince
I will probably ask for your help later on
My set up will be outside so not concern about the odor. I wonder if I can used gravity feed to feed the reactor ?

no more hyposalinity...

Current Tank Info: 96x36x29 inwall
bullitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2013, 08:59 AM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

I have not had my Ozone running in several months. Not sure I really need it at this point. The quality of the unit is very nice though.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2013, 11:28 AM   #10
vamaro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitr View Post
Thanks Vince
I will probably ask for your help later on
My set up will be outside so not concern about the odor. I wonder if I can used gravity feed to feed the reactor ?
I don't think gravity feed will work. The system needs pressure to push the water through the unit and you will need pressure to counter the air pressure from the ozone. Also, you should filter the water through charcoal after ozone. It's a simple process but it needs a pump.

I tried smaller pumps and there isn't enough pressure to keep things flowing properly. Others may have a different opinion or experience. My set-up works perfectly. I only run it 3 hours per day and my water is crystal clear. The Apex turns on the pumps and ozone.

In the past I ran the ozone 24/7 but found that I can run it for only a few hours a day and get good results.

Unread 08/30/2013, 11:36 AM   #11
vamaro
Registered Member

Here is pic of my set-up. Water enters the ozone chamber and moves to a reactor with charcoal. Notice that I have the charcoal reactor hoses running backwards. This keeps the charcoal reactor entry (no water). As the water enters the charcoal reactor, it drips down on the charcoal and is push through the media back into the sump. I am using a basic medium Seaside reactor ( from Tom) for the charcoal. It's simple to maintain too. I just change my hose once a year and change the charcoal on the reactor every other month.