Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/01/2017, 02:04 AM   #376
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

Chiller WONT STOP chilling.

Man I’ve looked just about everywhere, Allen just about everywhere, and to no avail. I really hope I can find some help HERE.

I own a 1/10hp eco plus water chiller. The model before they were assembled in China. Made in 12/12. Anyways, i thought I had fixed the problem as it wasn’t working for quite a good while here recently AFTER this problem had persisted, but NOW its doing it again.

So basically, I can set my temp for 68,69,70 whatever I feel like having it at, and when I come back after a few hours, it’s down to 63 & would go lower if I left it alone. It’s so strange because the machine REGISTERS the cooler temps right on the front of the lCD. It’s saying 62, I press set, and it’s set at 70. How is this possible? ESPECIALLY since it seems to have fixed itself a while back. The “chiller” light turns off and the “external heater” light stays on, with the fan blowing as it’s lowering in temps. When it’s workin correctly, it will completely shut off (besides the LCD display of course) once it’s hit the target temperature. I really hope somebody knows a thing or two about this. please oh please, help me.

Airwalk1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 06:49 AM   #377
Misled
RC Mod

Sounds like a contactor is sticking closed. This can happen for a variety of reasons. If it's happening on the main circuit board, you may have to replace the board. Or you could pick up a temp controller, (Ranco comes to mind), and let it do the controlling.

Unread 11/01/2017, 03:04 PM   #378
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Sounds like a contactor is sticking closed. This can happen for a variety of reasons. If it's happening on the main circuit board, you may have to replace the board. Or you could pick up a temp controller, (Ranco comes to mind), and let it do the controlling.
So what am I needing to replace? A relay?

Unread 11/01/2017, 03:05 PM   #379
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

I've got pics of all the inside's of the chiller just dont kknow how to post pics here.

Unread 11/01/2017, 05:32 PM   #380
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

Basically here is what is happening. When I plug it in if my water temperature is higher than the set it will automatically turn on with the chiller light flashing like it should when it is chilling. If I turned it on and the set temp is higher than the actual temp then the power light just stays on until it hits that higher temperature and the external heater light turns on solidly. From that point the water temperature will continue to drop and drop until I unplug it. I'm also using an exterior temperature probe for backup and the temperatures are always the same on the LCD screen and my probe. So basically once my temperature has rise past my set temperature I'm plugging it back in to start that chilling light up to see if maybe it would turn off like it's supposed to but it's just not. I need to know how the voltage flows through this controller so I know at which point this contact would be giving me problems. Do you know how the electricity flows from the wall through the controller and where I could find this? Is it the little black box or the copper thing wrapped in yellow? Where is it one of those little cylinders that soldered on to the PCB? I'm not afraid to solder things if needed I just need to know what part to fix.

Unread 11/02/2017, 02:14 PM   #381
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

The external heater light Ive just found out is actually for the plug in the back of the machine. It's a two prong outlet that I tested today. I do not use an external heater but when that light comes on on the machine, that port / Outlet becomes energized and is delivered power so that if I were to use a heater inside the tank, it would slowly warm up the water. I do not understand why my machine is acting this way rather than just turning off and letting the temperature rise on its own. Today I set it at 67 and within a few hours it was down to 62. I am so confused as to why it's not just turning off and now is thinking it needs to rely on actual heat source to bring the water temperature up.

Unread 11/04/2017, 03:50 AM   #382
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

Doesn’t anybody AT ALL know how to get it out of this mode where it thinks it needs a heater to warm the water temp.? Why does it continue to chill?!?!

Unread 11/06/2017, 07:33 PM   #383
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

Bump. Please help me if you can.

Unread 11/12/2017, 02:39 PM   #384
Airwalk1616
Registered Member

Well I gave up. Just gonna out it on a timer for 1 hour on and 2 hours off.

Unread 05/31/2018, 10:57 AM   #385
wcharon
Registered Member

My Artica 1/4 stopped working. When i turn it on the fan turn on and remains on. I recalibrated it and also put the temp to 60 degrees but the compressor didn't turn on neither.

I called JBJ and they stated it is a bad compressor. i will take it to a refrigerator service to see if they can certify it is the compressor or the relay.

in the meantime can anyone suggest me a good quality chiller brand just in case?

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2018, 11:01 AM   #386
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

https://aqualogicinc.com/product/del...line-chillers/

Unread 06/01/2018, 07:50 AM   #387
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
My Artica 1/4 stopped working. When i turn it on the fan turn on and remains on. I recalibrated it and also put the temp to 60 degrees but the compressor didn't turn on neither.

I called JBJ and they stated it is a bad compressor. i will take it to a refrigerator service to see if they can certify it is the compressor or the relay.

in the meantime can anyone suggest me a good quality chiller brand just in case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just to update I took the case off and found that the cables from the relay touched the metal and burned out. Can somebody identify me what is the black part that comes with the cables that go to the relay at the right side?

Here is a pic for reference.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180531_131906_resized.jpg (54.8 KB, 23 views)

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
Unread 06/03/2018, 06:24 AM   #388
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Just to update I took the case off and found that the cables from the relay touched the metal and burned out. Can somebody identify me what is the black part that comes with the cables that go to the relay at the right side?

Here is a pic for reference.
I’ve only had the case off mine once, but there is an electrical schematic in the manual if that helps.

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/Aqua...riesManual.pdf

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2018, 05:42 AM   #389
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Member No. 1 View Post
I’ve only had the case off mine once, but there is an electrical schematic in the manual if that helps.

http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/Aqua...riesManual.pdf
Thanks for the schematic @member #1.

For my surprise I cut the burn cables and joined them and the Chiller is working again like a champ.

Weird the support I received from JBJ. After explaining my problem they first stated I had a bad controller and I said that is impossible because I can work and set the temp in the panel, then they said I had a bad relay, I asked if the relay is bad why the fan is all ways on and they said its a relationship and finally they said SORRY but you have a bad Compressor but your chiller is old so you must replace it.

That kind of support of guessing options got me thinking as I was going to invest I an upgrade as the summer is hot over here in PR but to be honest I haven't had to use their support in 7 years so that says enough of their equipment.

Unread 06/04/2018, 05:58 AM   #390
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Thanks for the schematic @member #1.

For my surprise I cut the burn cables and joined them and the Chiller is working again like a champ.

Weird the support I received from JBJ. After explaining my problem they first stated I had a bad controller and I said that is impossible because I can work and set the temp in the panel, then they said I had a bad relay, I asked if the relay is bad why the fan is all ways on and they said its a relationship and finally they said SORRY but you have a bad Compressor but your chiller is old so you must replace it.

That kind of support of guessing options got me thinking as I was going to invest I an upgrade as the summer is hot over here in PR but to be honest I haven't had to use their support in 7 years so that says enough of their equipment.
Glad to hear you're up and running again!

My JBJ chiller is over 13 years old, and the only issue I ever had was shortly after I purchased it. I had a problem with the fuse holder on the rear for the incoming power supply. They sent me a new cord and fuse holder. Since then no problems whatsoever! If the need ever arises, I wouldn't hesitate to by another JBJ chiller.

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Unread 06/04/2018, 08:05 AM   #391
wcharon
Registered Member

Thanks Buddy....

Unread 09/04/2018, 12:07 PM   #392
abrahamcho
Registered Member

Hi I have an old current 1/15 chiller and it was working fine yesterday, but this morning it decided to not work at all. The chiller itself was really hot and it stopped making it's signature loud hum, now it just has a low hum and it is NOT chilling the water. The water is still still flowing through it but the chiller itself turns on but doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea?

abrahamcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2018, 12:22 PM   #393
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamcho View Post
Hi I have an old current 1/15 chiller and it was working fine yesterday, but this morning it decided to not work at all. The chiller itself was really hot and it stopped making it's signature loud hum, now it just has a low hum and it is NOT chilling the water. The water is still still flowing through it but the chiller itself turns on but doesn't seem to do anything. Any idea?
If the display is lit, and you're getting a low hum, then my first guess would be that the compressor crapped the bed.

Not sure, but see if any local HVAC guys could check it out for you.

Unread 09/04/2018, 12:43 PM   #394
abrahamcho
Registered Member

Quote:
If the display is lit, and you're getting a low hum, then my first guess would be that the compressor crapped the bed.

Not sure, but see if any local HVAC guys could check it out for you.
Thank you for your fast reply. Also the chiller itself its hot is that another symptom of a dead compressor?

Unread 09/04/2018, 12:58 PM   #395
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamcho View Post
Thank you for your fast reply. Also the chiller itself its hot is that another symptom of a dead compressor?
I would tend to say yes. But to be sure, have it checked by a professional.

Unread 09/07/2018, 09:20 PM   #396
abrahamcho
Registered Member

Quote:
I would tend to say yes. But to be sure, have it checked by a professional.
Apparently the fan motor was broken and the chiller itself is working but the fan needs a new motor. The technician said I can just run a small fan or pay 100 bucks to get it fixed. Is there any downside of listening to him and running a small fan behind the chiller or should I just get it fixed?

Unread 09/08/2018, 09:24 AM   #397
Misled
RC Mod

Personally, I would get it fixed. You need to be moving a certain amount of air across the coils. Not enough, and your cooling may not be enough. Too much may cause freezing problems. Have him go over it while he has it. Check Freon levels and give the coils a cleaning.

Unread 10/03/2018, 06:34 AM   #398
Jewcano
Registered Member

So this morning I woke up to an odd issue. Compressor in the chiller is always on. If I turn the entire unit off, there is a semi violent shake down as it turns off. When I turn it back on, the compressor comes back on automatically, BUT the A/C light on the control panel doesn't turn on and temp shows 75-78 even though set temp is 78. Model is a TECO CA 200.

Current Tank Info: 30G, Coralife 150W light, Marineland 30G Canister Filter
Jewcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 10:39 AM   #399
DSD1977
Registered Member

Question here....

I have a Coralife 1/4HP chiller with a problem. When i plug it in the display allows me to set the temp i want and it also tells me the water temp. The problem is that it doesn't seam to turn on the compressor to cool the water like it should. Any ideas as to why that may be?

DSD1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2019, 06:48 PM   #400
PurpleCarpet
Registered Member

Need some serious help please! My JBJ Arctica 1/10 chiller seems to be acting up. The issue is that the unit will chill and then for some reason out of nowhere the unit will say 90 degrees and the cooling indicator light continues to blink. I'm puzzled, the only way I'm able to fix this issue is either change the temp setting or unplug the chiller and plug it back in.

PurpleCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote