Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2017, 11:42 PM   #1
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Coral Skeleton Dividing Wall

So I've made the wall, below, using coral skeletons, coral gravel, rocksalt & white cement.
It has set, but needs to cure in fresh water to let the rocksalt & lime from the cement leach out.
I'm using a TDS & a pH meter & comparing the readings against a control of dead coral also in tap water.
The plan is to soak the wall in seawater after the TDS reading has ceased rising, but I'm wondering if I should also soak the wall in a vinegar solution first?

Any opinions would be welcomed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 145101 edited.jpg (86.1 KB, 105 views)
Scrubber_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 05:27 AM   #2
salty joe
Registered Member

I used a Portland cement/sand mix and the first time I soaked it, the pH spiked. I added enough muriatic acid to take pH to 7 and let it soak for a week or so. It hasn't been a problem since.

BTW, I let my structure dry, bone dry, before the acid bath. I think that makes a difference.

Unread 11/13/2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
I used a Portland cement/sand mix and the first time I soaked it, the pH spiked. I added enough muriatic acid to take pH to 7 and let it soak for a week or so. It hasn't been a problem since.

BTW, I let my structure dry, bone dry, before the acid bath. I think that makes a difference.
That makes sense. Use the acidic water to absorb the some minerals from the concrete, reducing pH.

I've first got to let the rocksalt fully dissolve. First reading on my TDS meter after soaking overnight was >10,000ppm. Next overnight reading was 1,270ppm. Once it settles down to around 200ppm I'll test the pH & take it from there.

Unread 11/13/2017, 06:38 PM   #4
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Curing in acid reduces the strength of the concrete. If you've got a structure where strength is already questionable (thin concrete, big weird aggregate, rock salt creating voids) it might be best to aim for the most strength possible, which would be curing damp, letting it air dry, then submersing in water until the pH stops rising (which will be a few weeks to several months depending on the thickness, water change frequency, etc.)

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 07:37 PM   #5
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
Curing in acid reduces the strength of the concrete. If you've got a structure where strength is already questionable (thin concrete, big weird aggregate, rock salt creating voids) it might be best to aim for the most strength possible, which would be curing damp, letting it air dry, then submersing in water until the pH stops rising (which will be a few weeks to several months depending on the thickness, water change frequency, etc.)
Good points. And putting cement in some acids makes it turn yellow also. Although I would have only used a weak vinegar solution.

After letting it air dry I'll put it in salt water and check on pH.

Unread 11/13/2017, 07:37 PM   #6
salty joe
Registered Member

Yes, damp cure makes a big difference. I kept mine damp for a couple weeks before drying it.

Unread 11/13/2017, 07:40 PM   #7
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

It shouldn't be in saltwater until it's totally stable and inert (and ready to use). Any soaking or testing of pH prior to that should be in freshwater - both for final strength and speed of cure (it'll take a lot longer in saltwater).

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
It shouldn't be in saltwater until it's totally stable and inert (and ready to use). Any soaking or testing of pH prior to that should be in freshwater - both for final strength and speed of cure (it'll take a lot longer in saltwater).
Yes I let it air dry first & I have had it in a tub of fresh water ever since.
The TDS has fallen dramatically very quickly as I expected.

My tap water has a pH of 9.5 as does my RODI water. So that wont have too far to fall LOL.

Unread 11/13/2017, 08:18 PM   #9
Scrubber_steve
I'm really very likeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty joe View Post
Yes, damp cure makes a big difference. I kept mine damp for a couple weeks before drying it.
My wall doesn't need a lot of strength, but I don't want it to crumble either.
It's way past that point. I'm very happy with it's strength & crumble factor