Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/04/2008, 08:17 AM   #1
Logzor
Registered Member

Getting Rid of Dictyota

I have struggled with this algae and have tried most everything to get rid of it. My tank is very healthy, I keep everything from softies to acros (55 gallon).

It seems that completely blocking out light can kill it, starving it from nutrients does not seem to be working.

Any ideas on what will take care of this stuff?

Logzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2008, 12:04 PM   #2
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

I think it would be hard to tell if it were being starved, because even if nutrients were 0, you don't really know how much it is taking up. Try to manually remove it, that should work.

johnmaloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2008, 02:08 PM   #3
bluenassarius
retired algae slanger

I wouldn't try manual removal in the tank. you will actually help it spread throughout the tank. this happens when pieces that don't get pulled out float around and reattach. I don't believe that is what your goal is. dictyota is one the more invasive algaes out there. it has the capability of growing on many surfaces.

you can try several things in attempts to remove it.

one reefer called it "cooking" liverock.. which basically keeping the liverock in the dark. this li from what helps it grow. this method is starving the algae from light. drawback to this method is that it will cause the algae to sporulate ..
you can also try a phosphate reactor. I was not a believer until I used one myself. it took only a week for it to show results.

another methd that is not popular is to remove the corals from the rock and burning the algae off the rock. i've tried this and had excellent results with it as a long term solution. don't stick the rock back in the tank as it will need to cure again.

you can try inverts or fish that may eat this type of algae. popular inverts/fish for the job are seahares, urchins, tangs angels... possibly crabs and mexican turbo snails/cowries.
I haven't seen any of these actually eat dictyota.

Current Tank Info: tankless, on hiatus until further notice
bluenassarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2008, 03:23 PM   #4
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

grab up the pieces that float with a net. it will spread a lot quicker if you don't do anything or wait it out. can your corals last a couple of days in the dark?

Unread 07/11/2008, 04:52 PM   #5
bluenassarius
retired algae slanger

easier said than done w/ grabbing pieces w/ a net. some pieces are very small. the % of those loose pieces spreading among the tank is great. i have a close friend that can attest to that. i've seen dictyota completely cover the overflow teeth causing the water level to almost overflow out of the tank.

anyhow, logzor you have options in dealing with this menacing algae. you could try a one or a combination. let us know what your results are.

Unread 07/11/2008, 06:12 PM   #6
JackKerouac
Registered Member

Hello Sam
I've got the Dyctonia issue a couple of years ago,then I added a Naso tang and after 8-10 days he ate it all
BTW a Naso in 55 gal tank is not recomend,but you could think to buy a small Naso lituratus or elegans and then give it to a friend with a bigger tank.

Current Tank Info: Skimmer H&S 150 af 2001 ,Calcium reactor Ocenlife B3 - 2x400 Giesemann+4PL neon
JackKerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Logzor
Registered Member

Dictyota does well in water with good parameters. Putting the rock in the dark works but it takes awhile. I will not be able to put a naso in until I get my other fish into the 90 gallon tank has not been set up yet.

I recently moved a rock, a piece that was on the sand and just covered in Dictyota. Keep in mind is is spread throughout the entire tank. I took this rock in the tub and gave it a good scrub.

With the algae all scrubbed off the snails were actually able to get to the surface of the rock and clean it, now it is one of the most clean rocks in the tank.

I usually just scrub off rock in the tank and collect it with a net from my 3 koralia powerheads. I have found that a good scrubber is a toothbrush with superglue in the bristles. When it is all spead into your tank all you can do it manually remove it. I would like to take each rock out and scrub it but I have so much stuff grown together it would be a major pain.

Unread 07/11/2008, 09:23 PM   #8
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

superglue in the bristles...brilliant! I am going to try one of these days.

Unread 07/11/2008, 11:04 PM   #9
bluenassarius
retired algae slanger

logzor, lol never heard using superglue in bristles before. i've gotta try that one out sometime

hey luca, good to see you. let me know when you are in town. i'll have some stuff for you.

Unread 07/12/2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Logzor
Registered Member

It works pretty well for scrubbing. My parents use these wire brushes for restoring and stripping furniture, I wanted something with that kind of scrubbing power but I did not want to risk getting metals in my tank.

You could probably melt them with a lighter and turn them into a shank, like they do in prison. I doubt this would scrape coralline off, though...that needs a razor blade.

Unread 07/16/2008, 08:00 PM   #11
Tomoko Schum
Registered Member

Dolabella sea hair ate every bit of my golden dictyota within a week. My 29G tank was covered with it. It was a major infestation. Dictyota never came back.

Tomoko

Current Tank Info: 15 gallon long nano reef tank with 110W PC and 180G with three 250W 14K SE MH & LumenBright reflectors
Tomoko Schum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2008, 03:29 PM   #12
Logzor
Registered Member

I tried one of those and it bit the dust after about 3 months, would not touch this dictyota.

Unread 07/28/2008, 01:12 AM   #13
Cody Ray
Registered Member

I'm actually interested in growing this algae in my 29 gallon. Any ideas where to find some?

Current Tank Info: Mr. Aqua 7.5g bowfront
Cody Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2008, 01:20 AM   #14
bluenassarius
retired algae slanger

i see them frequently on maricultured sps colonies. you sure you want it? it can grow out of control.

Unread 07/28/2008, 03:20 AM   #15
danfrith
Registered Member

Also looking for the blue variety of some of this for my nano. Its gonna be carribean/lagoon biotope tank.

danfrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/28/2008, 10:23 PM   #16
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

easy to find this time of year, it actually covers the floor, you should be able to find some. the thing about it is, the algae itself is not blue or green, it reflect light to make it look shimmering, so it is up to you to angle the algae in such a way to get the effect you are looking for.

Unread 07/29/2008, 09:35 AM   #17
bob124578
Registered Member

My Blue Hippo Tang used to sit on it like a nest but eventually ate it all. I didn't know this was considered invasive since I could not keep it in the tank with the Hippo.

My only experience with this macro.

bob124578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2008, 01:16 PM   #18
SunFish2008
Registered Member

Question dictyota

I would like to get some Dictyota for research purposes; does anyone know a supplier in the US or Is there a hobbyist that would like to send some to me; I will make good your expenses.
Thanks

SunFish2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2008, 06:29 PM   #19
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

you are asking the right person! I am sure Logozor would send you some! Maybe that is how you get rid of it

If you are going to research it, maybe you should narrow the species down, there are lots of species of dictyota, which is a genus of macro algae. Many behave very differently than the kind Logozor has. I am guessing Logozor has iridescent dictyota, Dictyota bartayreseii (warning latin off the top of my head tends to be misspelled by a few letters.

Unread 08/25/2008, 06:34 PM   #20
SunFish2008
Registered Member

I am looking for Dictyota sandvicensis, it is an iridescent type; found in oahu, Hawaii; I would like any species of Dictyota to begin with.
thanks
David

Unread 08/26/2008, 03:05 PM   #21
Logzor
Registered Member

What would be the best/cheapest way to send it?

Unread 08/26/2008, 09:36 PM   #22
SunFish2008
Registered Member

Please put seaweed in a zip lock bag, place box in a card board box and send by fedex priority overnight morning delivery. Fedex has flat boxes that you can use, make sure you mark priority overnight morning delivery in the form. If you are sending on a Friday, mark "Saturday" delivery, if you dont they will deliver the following Monday.
Please email me at sunfish2008@gmail.com, I will give you a fedex account number and mailing address.
Appreciate your help very much.

Unread 08/27/2008, 04:28 PM   #23
Logzor
Registered Member

You should have an email from my gmail account. Do I need to pack it specially to keep it preserved/alive?

This stuff is super hard to kill so I am guessing not!

Also, if you find the magic bullet for killing it let me know.

Unread 08/28/2008, 06:20 PM   #24
johnmaloney
Registered Member.

no luck yet huh? Certain types of dictyota can be a real pain. Others are harmless and easily pruned back. With so many species of dictyota, it would be great if you could id this pest Sunfish. I have id books as well, if you want to post a pic Logozor.

Unread 08/28/2008, 10:14 PM   #25
Logzor
Registered Member

Here is an old pic when it was out of control. This stuff smells noxious out of the water.