Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/23/2014, 02:33 PM   #1
wcharon
Registered Member

ATI Sunpower Led Supplemtation

Hi...

I have a ATI Sunpower 6 x 80 watts in my 125 reef tank. I am using the following combination from front to back:
B+
B+
C+
B+
B+
P+

I want a touch of actinic to pop colors and was looking at the Led strips to supplement it. Was looking at the ReefBrites and also the My Led Buid. Each of them have 2 model options in the Actinic range and both are dimmable.

My questions for the experts and experienced people is:

What Led Strip combination for my Sunpower is better and why ???
Should i try an actinic bulb in my actual combination and what will be recommended ???

Thanks in advance...

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
wcharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 05:22 PM   #2
ghostman
Registered Member

I'm no expert and not experienced, but I use a dimmable ATI Sunpower with a bulb combo just like you have above. I like it. It is a nice blue/white, I like the color to my eyes, and PAR is high. I tired an actinic bulb in place of a Blue+, and didn't notice the difference. I bought a Reefbrite XHO strip that mounts perfectly to the Sunpowers. It makes the corals pop a bit more. I have no experience with my LED Build, so I don't know about them.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2014, 05:40 PM   #3
wcharon
Registered Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. When you say a bit how will you classify that?

is it worth the investmennt on the Led strip?

Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 125 Gal. Reef, Chiller 1/4, Skimmer SRO SSS-1000 (Old), Aquamaxx EM-200, Aqua C UV, Actinic ReefBrites, Kore 5th. Doser, APEX Full
Unread 10/24/2014, 01:53 PM   #4
wcharon
Registered Member

Any new suggestion??

Unread 10/24/2014, 02:12 PM   #5
maynardjames
Registered Member

Wanting to add blue moonlights to my 8 bulb over a 48" 120
Bet you could ask any of the diy led sellers on here. They should know what is needed to achieve look your after. Any with good customer service & knowledgeable staff anyway.
Update when u find something. I would like to add some for shimmer, but can't afford right now.

Current Tank Info: 120 rr dual overflows, solarflare t5 fixture,octo extreme 200,vortech mp40w esx2. brs reactor for carbon, brs reactor for gfo, 40 gal breeder sump
maynardjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2014, 02:15 PM   #6
wcharon
Registered Member

I have been in contact with My Build Led and with ReefBrite and they made their recommendations to me but i will like to here from the experts because each of them will go after their products.

Unread 10/24/2014, 02:52 PM   #7
maynardjames
Registered Member

Did they recommend anything close to each other?

Current Tank Info: 120 rr dual overflows, solarflare t5 fixture,octo extreme 200,vortech mp40w esx2. brs reactor for carbon, brs reactor for gfo, 40 gal breeder sump
maynardjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 12:42 PM   #8
wcharon
Registered Member

Yep... Use the Actinic line with dimmer and for the little difference in price on their models they recommned me obviously to go with the top of the line.

Unread 10/25/2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Mark426
Registered Member

Reefbrights blend in much better and are more compact on my sunpower. I am using the standard not the xho.

Mark426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 02:09 PM   #10
4bruceinc
Registered Member

I use two ReefBrite XHO strips on an 8-bulb Sunpower and love them. At one point, I thought the BML to be a slightly better product. However, I've noticed that the higher end led fixtures (ATI Hybrid & Sirius, Giesemann Hybrid, etc.) are now using or will be transitioning to the use of reflectors.

ReefBrites have always used a reflector.

My only problem with them now is trying to find a 'sweet spot' without bleaching my coral. When I used them with a 4-bulb DIY T5 setup, I had no issues and the colors were outstanding. But I am still trying to find the right bulb combination and lighting period.

Just note that the XHOs are very, very bright and when combined with the powered of an ATI fixture - it is a good problem to try and figure out

Current Tank Info: 112g 48x30x18 SPS
4bruceinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2014, 02:14 PM   #11
4bruceinc
Registered Member

Almost forgot...

Sweet Ride uses actinics in his 6-bulb fixture along with two (Reg & XHO) RB strips:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...881861&page=19

Current Tank Info: 112g 48x30x18 SPS
4bruceinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 05:33 AM   #12
wcharon
Registered Member

Thanks Mark / Bruce...

I think this convinced me with the Reefbrite. Now trying to decide between the regular or the XHO....

Unread 10/28/2014, 04:44 AM   #13
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

OP: Since I own an ATI T5/LED Hybrid, and made my own LED/T5 Hybrid back at the end of 2010, IMO you are better off going with a Build My LED custom unit.

My current ATI hybrid has Royal Blue and Blue LED’s. The “pop” comes largely from the Royal Blues…I would have loved for the ATI unit to have Actinic LED’s as well…

My custom Hybrid unit I made around 4 years ago also had Royal Blue and Blue LED’s.

Having seen the pop from corals; be it SPS, LPS or Softies under the combined Royal Blue, as well as the dual 405/415nm Actinic LED’s in the Radion Pro and AI Hydra 52’s units; I would certainly would like to have a combo of mainly Royal Blue, but also some 405/415nm LED’s. The 405/415nm excite a different set of fluorescent pigments and add to the effect.
A BMLED unit with 2/3 Royal Blue and 1/3 combo of the lower nm diodes would look great. J

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 05:08 AM   #14
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
OP: Since I own an ATI T5/LED Hybrid, and made my own LED/T5 Hybrid back at the end of 2010, IMO you are better off going with a Build My LED custom unit.

My current ATI hybrid has Royal Blue and Blue LED’s. The “pop” comes largely from the Royal Blues…I would have loved for the ATI unit to have Actinic LED’s as well…

My custom Hybrid unit I made around 4 years ago also had Royal Blue and Blue LED’s.

Having seen the pop from corals; be it SPS, LPS or Softies under the combined Royal Blue, as well as the dual 405/415nm Actinic LED’s in the Radion Pro and AI Hydra 52’s units; I would certainly would like to have a combo of mainly Royal Blue, but also some 405/415nm LED’s. The 405/415nm excite a different set of fluorescent pigments and add to the effect.
A BMLED unit with 2/3 Royal Blue and 1/3 combo of the lower nm diodes would look great. J
Thanks Sahin for taking your time to help me out.

i saw that the MBL have different types of leds and as you can see i have no knowledge in leds.

They are recommending the Super Actinic Reef Spectrum. When you say custom does their recommendations meet that requirements or should I configure the unit?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by wcharon; 10/28/2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: wording
Unread 10/28/2014, 05:30 AM   #15
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcharon View Post
Thanks Sahin for taking your time to help me out.

i saw that the MBL have different types of leds and as you can see i have no knowledge in leds.

They are recommending the Super Actinic Reef Spectrum. When you say custom does their recommendations meet that requirements or should I configure the unit?

Thanks in advance.
Their website isnt working at my workplace correctly. I will have a look at the spectrum on the Super Actinic Reef unit and let you know.fficeffice" />>>

Unread 10/28/2014, 05:35 AM   #16
wcharon
Registered Member

Thanks. Appreciate that. As soon as I get to my work I will check it and send them.

Unread 10/28/2014, 06:56 AM   #17
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Their website isnt working at my workplace correctly. I will have a look at the spectrum on the Super Actinic Reef unit and let you know.fficeffice" />>>
Hi Sahin:

These are the specifications of the 2 models:

Super Actinic Reef XB Series"
Specifications:

LED Selections per 12" Board: (6) 450nm Royal Blue, (5) 405nm UV, (4) 470nm Blue

We purchase top-bin LEDs from the world's largest and most reputable LED manufacturers (i.e. Philips, Lumileds and Everlight).

We use 1W and 3W LEDs in our fixtures, and they are driven at 350mA to ensure long life and high electrical efficiency. Due to the large number of LEDs we use in every fixture, we do not need to overdrive the LEDs to achieve extremely high PAR ratings.

Product Features: 0-10V Dimmable Driver (Dimmable from 100% to 10%).

Super Actinic Reef:
Specifications:

LED Selections per 12" Board: (6) 450nm Royal Blue, (5) 405nm UV, (4) 470nm Blue

We purchase top-bin LEDs from the world's largest and most reputable LED manufacturers (i.e. Philips, Lumileds and Everlight).

We use 1W and 3W LEDs in our fixtures, and they are driven at 350mA to ensure long life and high electrical efficiency. Due to the large number of LEDs we use in every fixture, we do not need to overdrive the LEDs to achieve extremely high PAR ratings.

Product Features: 0-10V Dimmable Driver (Dimmable from 100% to 10%).

This is the difference they claim between both:
This is the Very High Output version of our already powerful Super Actinic Reef Spectrum fixture. The Super Actinic Reef Spectrum XB Series delivers 14% more light than our original Super Actinic Reef Spectrum. The XB Series uses the same amount of electricity and contains the same LED colors that are used in the original series.

Thanks once again...

Unread 10/28/2014, 11:01 AM   #18
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Just my opinion, but I would go with a custom unit. I dont like the inclusion of the Blue LED's...looks too bright and too windexy look.

I would go with a custom unit with the following:

1. 450nm Royal Blue @ roughly 70%
2. 405nm "UV" @ roughly 15%
3. 420nm Violet @ roughly 15%

The inclusion of the 405nm and 420nm will enhance/pop those colours that the Royal Blue wont pop and will sort of be like the old school VHO Actinics.

Again this is only my opinion, but when I asked my buddies to turn on the "UV" LED's together with the Royal Blues on their Radions Pros and AI's it looked much better than with just Royal Blues.

Hope this helps and doesnt confuse the matter further.

Unread 10/28/2014, 11:12 AM   #19
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I would go with a custom unit. I dont like the inclusion of the Blue LED's...looks too bright and too windexy look.

I would go with a custom unit with the following:

1. 450nm Royal Blue @ roughly 70%
2. 405nm "UV" @ roughly 15%
3. 420nm Violet @ roughly 15%

The inclusion of the 405nm and 420nm will enhance/pop those colours that the Royal Blue wont pop and will sort of be like the old school VHO Actinics.

Again this is only my opinion, but when I asked my buddies to turn on the "UV" LED's together with the Royal Blues on their Radions Pros and AI's it looked much better than with just Royal Blues.

Hope this helps and doesnt confuse the matter further.
jajajajaj Thanks Sahin....

I respect your experience but have to ask, are you trying to get me crazyyyyy with this Led technology? jajajaajaj

Now serious, just to be in the same page.You are aware that i will keep my Sunpower right? Also do you think that with this combination of the Leds you recommend i will get away with only 1 unit in the front??? Does the order of the leds affect or they have some special order to produce what we want to archieve???

I have to be sure of the movement i am going because if i request a custom i will not have the opportunity to return the fixture back to them and the shipping cost for the 60" unit to Puerto Rico is huge. The cost for the original unit is $420.00 without the shipping.

Thanks Buddy....

Last edited by wcharon; 10/28/2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Include Information
Unread 10/29/2014, 02:25 AM   #20
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
jajajajaj Thanks Sahin....

I respect your experience but have to ask, are you trying to get me crazyyyyy with this Led technology? jajajaajaj

Now serious, just to be in the same page.You are aware that i will keep my Sunpower right? Also do you think that with this combination of the Leds you recommend i will get away with only 1 unit in the front??? Does the order of the leds affect or they have some special order to produce what we want to archieve???

I have to be sure of the movement i am going because if i request a custom i will not have the opportunity to return the fixture back to them and the shipping cost for the 60" unit to Puerto Rico is huge. The cost for the original unit is $420.00 without the shipping.

Thanks Buddy....
Hey buddy.

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-repo...LLLLLLLLLLJJKK

The link you provide is fine, but I would order the 405/420 in between the Royal Blues, not just added to the end; ie spread then actinic LED's evenly over the strip. BMLED will then repeat the sequence for your particular length of unit.

With respect to whether you ought to go for a CUSTOMISED unit which has NO RETURN policy...and costs a whole lot more: I highly advise you go and find another reefer with a Radion Pro or AI Hydra 52...or even go to a LFS who is selling the Radion Pro or AI Hydra 52 and pretend you want to buy it ask them to demo it for you and ask them to turn up the two Actinic UV channels and the Royal Blue Channels and see for yourself what that looks like and what effect it has on coral fluorescence.

Without seeing it for yourself, I dont think you should just make a decision on a relatively high priced item.

Everyones eyes are different and you might not even see much of a difference or maybe you will feel its not worth it.

Its like a LOT of people would prefer the Radion Pro because of the addition of the Actinic LED's...but there are some people who will go for the model without.

With respect to just one unit at front...yes, one unit at front will work. You attach it to the Sunpower and angle it slightly towards the back of the display so that the light is spread over majority of the corals.

Having two will create more PAR and of course the effect is TWICE, so the pop will be better.

In all honesty, it really depends on how much you are willing to spend for a better VISUAL experience. Your corals will pop more. But the main light is the Sunpower and your corals wont really improved in colour or growth...perhaps some extra growth on some corals due to the extra PAR...but overall its just for your visual experience.

There are many people who use two Reefbrite strips either side of their Sunpowers and are very happy.

So, there really isnt a straight answer...it really depends on what you prefer, and how much you are willing to spend.

Unread 10/29/2014, 04:16 AM   #21
wcharon
Registered Member

Thanks Sahin...

Super clear and got the message... I will take your recommendation and keep you posted on my decision.

Cheers for all your advise...

Unread 10/29/2014, 04:27 AM   #22
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey buddy.

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-repo...LLLLLLLLLLJJKK

The link you provide is fine, but I would order the 405/420 in between the Royal Blues, not just added to the end; ie spread then actinic LED's evenly over the strip. BMLED will then repeat the sequence for your particular length of unit.

With respect to whether you ought to go for a CUSTOMISED unit which has NO RETURN policy...and costs a whole lot more: I highly advise you go and find another reefer with a Radion Pro or AI Hydra 52...or even go to a LFS who is selling the Radion Pro or AI Hydra 52 and pretend you want to buy it ask them to demo it for you and ask them to turn up the two Actinic UV channels and the Royal Blue Channels and see for yourself what that looks like and what effect it has on coral fluorescence.

Without seeing it for yourself, I dont think you should just make a decision on a relatively high priced item.

Everyones eyes are different and you might not even see much of a difference or maybe you will feel its not worth it.

Its like a LOT of people would prefer the Radion Pro because of the addition of the Actinic LED's...but there are some people who will go for the model without.

With respect to just one unit at front...yes, one unit at front will work. You attach it to the Sunpower and angle it slightly towards the back of the display so that the light is spread over majority of the corals.

Having two will create more PAR and of course the effect is TWICE, so the pop will be better.

In all honesty, it really depends on how much you are willing to spend for a better VISUAL experience. Your corals will pop more. But the main light is the Sunpower and your corals wont really improved in colour or growth...perhaps some extra growth on some corals due to the extra PAR...but overall its just for your visual experience.

There are many people who use two Reefbrite strips either side of their Sunpowers and are very happy.

So, there really isnt a straight answer...it really depends on what you prefer, and how much you are willing to spend.
Sahin:

Does the 405/420 have to be next to each other or should i spread it also???

What you think about this???

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-led-strip/

Unread 10/29/2014, 07:13 AM   #23
4Hummer
Registered Member

Just ordered 4 36" ReefBars in the Pure Actinic

http://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led...rb5730blwp.htm

My light is 72" long, will be adding 2 front 2 back, also ordered the SunSetter
Ramp Timer. (It's exactly the same as the Current USA LED Controller: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-.../orbit-marine/)

Cost was under $250.00 for everything including shipping.

4Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/29/2014, 07:29 AM   #24
wcharon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post

Ramp Timer. (It's exactly the same as the Current USA LED Controller: http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-.../orbit-marine/)

Hummmmm. Thanks and something to think about....

Can you please post a pic of them installed once you get them???

Thanks in advance...

Unread 10/29/2014, 01:24 PM   #25
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Sahin:

Does the 405/420 have to be next to each other or should i spread it also???

What you think about this???

http://www.bmlcustom.com/custom-led-strip/
Link doesnt contain any selection...empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post

This looks like a reasonable option.