Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/26/2014, 07:37 AM   #1
OllieNZ
Registered Member

17ish gal Nano and first reef

Hi All,
I'm embarking on my first reef project and it's starting with this

Which has spent most of its life so far as a planted tank

I went to do a rescape a few weeks back and one of the seams split so the tank has been sat in the garage awaiting me to get off my lazy butt and remove and refit the end pane. While I'm at it the plan is to drill the tank for a herbie and generally get it reef ready. This is going to be a slow time project but I'm hoping to have it up and cycling by Christmas (unless I crack the bottom drilling it) I'm going to document my progress in the hope that my diying may help and inspire others. I'll have plenty of questions along the way as my reef experience is nil but I'm slowly getting my head round the basics.

If you've got this far thanks for putting up with ramble there will be plenty more to come and hopefully the occasional pic too.

Regards

Ollie

OllieNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 02:49 AM   #2
Fishy 1
The Reefer From Downunder

I look forward to the build. I cringed when I saw the tank resting on the two bits of wood, while full of water

"The day that I stop learning will be the day that I die"

Current Tank Info: Newly Born Regency 220 "The Impulse Reef"
Fishy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2014, 11:47 AM   #3
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy 1 View Post
I look forward to the build. I cringed when I saw the tank resting on the two bits of wood, while full of water
Cheers,
As for the tank on the two bits of wood.......(shugs) I've seen worse, most of the small tanks you buy are supported only around the bottom edge, so seeing that didn't bother me.

I've made a small amount of progress in my lunch times this week.

Starting to remove the end pane using .020in stainless locking wire

End pane out

Showing the leftover silicone residue after scraping with a blade

After silicone removal

Any way that's all for today

Unread 11/04/2014, 12:13 PM   #4
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Got it glued up yesterday (no pics sorry) I'll let it sit till Friday then water test time As long as there is no leaks I'll be ordering the bulkheads, piping and drill bit.
I'm thinking 3/4in will be plenty with a herbie, the plan is to use a couple of wave makers for flow and keep things slower through the sump.

Reefed out
Unread 11/09/2014, 12:37 PM   #5
OllieNZ
Registered Member

Well water test is looking good, no immediate blow out and no other leaks so far.
I'm struggling with what to do light wise, do I go with a 4x24w t5 unit or an ocean revive t247? The luminaries are very close price wise but my main issue is I can't suspend the light and have a 2in gap to fit it in. So any other options or ideas would be appreciated.

Reefed out