Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Jackg962
Registered Member

Kessil 360WE on low and all blue

My Apex controls my Kessil 360 WE wonderfully. My question is when light is set up to all blue and lowest intensity is that considered an Actinic light?

Jackg962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2014, 11:26 AM   #2
FranktheTankTx
Registered Member

I dunno, but I love that color.

Can't wait for the new Kessil to come out.

"What, I thought we were in the trust tree... in the nest? Are we not?"

Current Tank Info: Custom Rimless 60g (30.5"x24.5"x18.5")
FranktheTankTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2014, 11:34 AM   #3
Jackg962
Registered Member

I love the color

Jackg962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2014, 10:53 PM   #4
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackg962 View Post
My Apex controls my Kessil 360 WE wonderfully. My question is when light is set up to all blue and lowest intensity is that considered an Actinic light?
I own or have seen all the Kessil Models except the Newest A160.

The Only ones that get Very Very Blue in my Opinion are the A150 20K Deep Ocean Blue Actinic and the A350.

I have seen the Original A360 and it on 100 Percent Blue and 0 Percent White looks more "Purple" than "Blue." It looks like the A150 Ocean Blue 15K Model.

I have seen the newest A360 W-E and it at 100 Percent Blue looks "White" to me and not Blue at all

I am hoping that the new A160 will be Very Very Blue like the A150 20K Deep Ocean Blue Actinic.

If it is I will definetly buy some.

If not I am going to buy the A150's and hopefully they drop in price.

that Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 05:53 AM   #5
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

Good info, thank you very much.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 06:03 AM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by that Fish Guy View Post
I have seen the newest A360 W-E and it at 100 Percent Blue looks "White" to me and not Blue at all
I'd argue that you need to get your eyes checked. I own the 360WE's and can tell you that when they are set to maximum blue, there isn't much white to them at all. In fact, I'd say it's VERY blue if not royal blue. I've had more lights in 27 years than I care to think about and the 360WE blue is as "blue" as any actinic VHO fluorescent or T5 actinic that I've ever seen.

This is a short video I shot of my 360WE's during my sunset phase. This is fairly accurate as far as color goes and this was not at the maximum blue % nor is this at anywhere near max intensity. There is nothing white about the light spectrum.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 08:19 AM   #7
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'd concur that set to blue, the 360WE doesn't look white at all to me. Appears subjectively bluer to me than a properly ballasted 20K MH, though perhaps not to the level of an actinic fluorescent.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 11:22 AM   #8
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
I'd argue that you need to get your eyes checked. I own the 360WE's and can tell you that when they are set to maximum blue, there isn't much white to them at all. In fact, I'd say it's VERY blue if not royal blue. I've had more lights in 27 years than I care to think about and the 360WE blue is as "blue" as any actinic VHO fluorescent or T5 actinic that I've ever seen.

This is a short video I shot of my 360WE's during my sunset phase. This is fairly accurate as far as color goes and this was not at the maximum blue % nor is this at anywhere near max intensity. There is nothing white about the light spectrum.
I have talked to a few Dealers at Frags Swaps using the A360 W-E.

I asked them all to adjust it to all Blue Only and everyone of them looked White to me.

Maybe they all were defective I do not know?

I asked a Kessil Rep about this and he agreed with me stating "It is probably something to the new design."

You say they are as Blue as any Flourescent Bulb.

Well I have tanks with all ATI Blue Plus Bulbs and they look nothing like my Kessil A150 Deep Ocean Blue Actinic.

Yes, of course, Blue Plus Bulbs are Bluer than AquaBlue Special or Coral Plus Bulbs.

But they are Not LED Blue.

LED gets a Blue that makes your Coral Pop like no other.

The A360 W-E might be Blue to you but it sure isn't blue to me.

Please take a look at the A350 and A150 Deep Ocean Blue Actinic and tell me if your A360 W-E gets that Blue?

You will quickly see what I am talking about.

So no I do not need to get my eyes checked.

Unread 11/28/2014, 12:15 PM   #9
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by that Fish Guy View Post
I have talked to a few Dealers at Frags Swaps using the A360 W-E.

I asked them all to adjust it to all Blue Only and everyone of them looked White to me.

Maybe they all were defective I do not know?

I asked a Kessil Rep about this and he agreed with me stating "It is probably something to the new design."

You say they are as Blue as any Flourescent Bulb.

Well I have tanks with all ATI Blue Plus Bulbs and they look nothing like my Kessil A150 Deep Ocean Blue Actinic.

Yes, of course, Blue Plus Bulbs are Bluer than AquaBlue Special or Coral Plus Bulbs.

But they are Not LED Blue.

LED gets a Blue that makes your Coral Pop like no other.

The A360 W-E might be Blue to you but it sure isn't blue to me.

Please take a look at the A350 and A150 Deep Ocean Blue Actinic and tell me if your A360 W-E gets that Blue?

You will quickly see what I am talking about.

So no I do not need to get my eyes checked.
Well color me blind then..

I see the color shift every day since I own 8 of them and they are not white in their blue settings. I've also had an A350 that I tested with. I suspect that the intensity you were viewing might have had an impact on the color you perceived as white or it was ambient lighting around the tanks. That or the dealers didn't put them to their max blue settings. Most dealers at frag swaps don't bring along canopy's so ambient lighting will impact the color you see. I will try to remember to take a picture later today of the peak lighting and another one from the same spot later this evening during the bluer sunset. The pictures below are screen shots from 2 different videos taken during two different times of the light cycle.

This is fairly white to my eyes. This is about 75% color and 70% intensity.

This looks blue to me. f this doesn't look blue to you, I can't help you. FWIW, this isn't anywhere near the bluest setting either. This is approx 40% color and 40% intensity mid way through my ramp down. Notice that piece of white paper in front of the tank... It looks pretty blue to me!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 11/28/2014 at 12:22 PM.
Unread 11/28/2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Portsie
Registered Member

I'm with slief on this one. If you turn the intensity way down and set it all the way to blue, it's blue. Not just kinda blue either, really really blue. Something was up with the lights or settings if you thought they looked white.

Unread 11/28/2014, 01:52 PM   #11
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portsie View Post
I'm with slief on this one. If you turn the intensity way down and set it all the way to blue, it's blue. Not just kinda blue either, really really blue. Something was up with the lights or settings or your eyes if you thought they looked white.
Fixed it for you.

First hand experience as opposed to an impromptu demo pays dividends in this case because these lights are clearly and very obviously blue and absolutely, unequivocally not white at all when you set them properly. That Fish Guy, I suggest you get a proper demo of the 360WE!

Last edited by slief; 11/28/2014 at 01:57 PM.
Unread 11/28/2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Mr. Brooks
MASVC Member

I'm thinking maybe you can get the all blue look out of the 360's when connected to a spectral controller. Without a controller and only using knobs, I can't get my 360 to go as blue as my 350's.

Mr. Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 03:50 PM   #13
FranktheTankTx
Registered Member

Are the 360s strong enough to support all coral (sps) on the blue setting?

I'm not the least bit familiar with them.

"What, I thought we were in the trust tree... in the nest? Are we not?"

Current Tank Info: Custom Rimless 60g (30.5"x24.5"x18.5")
FranktheTankTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2014, 08:38 PM   #14
that Fish Guy
Frag Swap Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks View Post
I'm thinking maybe you can get the all blue look out of the 360's when connected to a spectral controller. Without a controller and only using knobs, I can't get my 360 to go as blue as my 350's.
See somebody that agrees with me.

I am not the only one.

Unread 12/13/2014, 05:51 PM   #15
machodik
Registered Member

I came accross this forum, sorry to cut along the line, perhaps my questions will be more teachincal , please pardon me if I take this in worng place

I have APex controller and 2 kessil 360WE but I wonder how can I set the sunrise to sunset? does I need any other equipment to make this happened? if not, can anyone be kind enought to help this old tech guy on how to do it....best if there is step by step proceedures.

I am just simply using my Apex controller as timer in as far as to controlling my Kessil 360 WE.....So shame but it is true. hope you help. thanks a million.

cheers,

MD

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1
machodik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2014, 07:47 PM   #16
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodik View Post
I came accross this forum, sorry to cut along the line, perhaps my questions will be more teachincal , please pardon me if I take this in worng place

I have APex controller and 2 kessil 360WE but I wonder how can I set the sunrise to sunset? does I need any other equipment to make this happened? if not, can anyone be kind enought to help this old tech guy on how to do it....best if there is step by step proceedures.

I am just simply using my Apex controller as timer in as far as to controlling my Kessil 360 WE.....So shame but it is true. hope you help. thanks a million.

cheers,

MD
I assume you have the full Apex with the Variable Speed ports as opposed to the Apex Lite? If you have the Lite model, then you will need a VDM module. If you have the full unit and have a free Variable Speed port, then you are good to go other than needing cable.

Have you setup Fusion yet? That is the easiest way to do it. Then it's just a matter of tinkering with graphs or adjusting numbers. It took me all of 5 minutes to create my sunrise and sunset program for light intensity and color. It was stupid simple. This is how you set them up with fusion. You just adjust the points on the graph for intensity and then repeat for color. This screenshot is from the Fusion variable speed port setup page.

For a link cable you can get any male to male stereo headphone jack like the ones you use to connect an MP3 player to an auxiliary input on a car stereo or other device. Or you can spend the extra money on the Kessil link cable.

If you have Fusion setup, read this as it should help you get it setup quickly. This is the Kessil 360 Fusion setup instructions.
http://www.neptunesystems.com/a360gs/

If you don't have Fusion setup yet, then read this first:
https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/afqs.pdf

You do need one Kessil/Apex cable and also the link cable that will daisy chain the Kessils together.This is the Kessil Cable you need for the Apex if you don't have it already. Select Apex from the drop down.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Kessil_Co...FILDAC-vi.html

Last edited by slief; 12/13/2014 at 07:57 PM.
Unread 12/13/2014, 10:30 PM   #17
machodik
Registered Member

THANKS A LOT!

I have the full version of Apex with Lab Probe. my friend also help me bought a kessil cable unfortunately it is too short to reached my present Apex module location. I think I have to find out how to find a larger cable.

Its shame that after over a year of having my apex, just right now having some times to play this great toy. anyway, its better late than never.

cheers,

MD

Current Tank Info: 90cmx60cmx60cm (420 liters total volume), 12mm thick tampered glass aquariums , Eheim compact +5000, Jns SK2 protein skimmer, T5 x 4 x39 watt (2 blue , 2 white), MP40WES, SEIO 1000, TLF 150 *2 + 550 *1
Unread 12/13/2014, 10:59 PM   #18
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
THANKS A LOT!

I have the full version of Apex with Lab Probe. my friend also help me bought a kessil cable unfortunately it is too short to reached my present Apex module location. I think I have to find out how to find a larger cable.

Its shame that after over a year of having my apex, just right now having some times to play this great toy. anyway, its better late than never.

cheers,

MD
Glad to help. You will be very happy with the results. I love my Kessils and the combination with the Apex and Fusion for programming makes it a breeze. The cable length is fine. Just get an extension like the one below. It's a headphone jack extension. You plug the Kessil end of the Apex cable into the female end of this cable and the male end into the Kessil input. This is just one example. There are all different lengths. Just try to get the best quality possible as the resistance difference between a really thin and cheap cable and higher quality thick cable can effect what percentage your lights turn off at. 12-14% intensity on the Apex is the cutoff where the Kessils turn off.
http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-3-5...hone+extension

Unread 12/14/2014, 12:48 AM   #19
machodik
Registered Member

Thanks Slief for your kind assistance

I try to start up with apex fusion but I wonder when I navigate controller to network set up but can not find the box or windows to be able to enable apex fusion and apex fusion controller as picture below ;

The below picture is what they have in their Manual but I can not locate it in the configure control

Hope you can further assist.

Thanks ,

MD

Unread 12/14/2014, 09:25 AM   #20
slief
RC Sponsor

Fusion requires newer firmware. This is mentioned at the bottom of page 2 of the Fusion quick start guide.

You will need to update the firmware on your Apex which is a 2 step or 3 step process. First thing I would do is make a backup of your settings. You do that from configuration/Load Save. Select all and select save settings at which point you are saving a backup file of all your settings and programming. Two steps for the Firmware and www pages which you do through the software update utility. The 3rd step is done via the Native web interface under configuration/module setup. You select a module and select update firmware and submit. You do this one at a time and only need to do it to the ones that don't show an "OK" Status. Also,wait 1 hour after updating your firmware & www before updating the modules. This is because the Apex takes some time to update it's module firmware tables. I was told by Neptune support to wait an hour so I am passing that on.

New firmware can be downloaded at the link below. It has the FW file, the installer and instructions. Be sure to follow the instructions and DON'T use a wireless connection. You NEED to do this from a hardwired network connection only. This means that both your Apex and PC need to be wired to a router or switch. If you already updated your firmware and www pages and don't see the Fusion Option, clear your browser cache, close the browser and open a new browser to the Apex.
https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/sw-updates/

This is a screen shot the module update page. If your EB8 or your display or any other module you may have say "OLD", you will need to select that module from the drop down, select Update and the Submit Module Change. It will update the module firmware automatically to match the controller.

Last edited by slief; 12/14/2014 at 09:34 AM.
Unread 12/14/2014, 10:58 PM   #21
machodik
Registered Member

many thanks Slief for your very supportive assistance.

I admit, I am an Old tech guy and really starting having confusion how to update the firmware.

as a matter of fact, I still trying to find out how can I connect my NETGEAR wireless internet adapter so that I can start go wireless and even able to let my Apex performed what she was made of. so shame to ask but it is a reality I need some one like you to help and guide me on this new tech piece of equipment. I have read several times on their manual and getting confuse if I have to connect the netgear first to my PC to make some setting before I have it hooked into my Apex and able to let me run wireless........can you help me further on this ?

well for recap, as of now:

1st- I need to connect my Net gear and go wireless

2nd -I beleived after I go wireless connection then I have to figure out how to update the new version firmware in order to be able to run the apex fusion and apex fusion control.

cheers,

MD

Last edited by machodik; 12/14/2014 at 11:16 PM.
Unread 12/15/2014, 04:57 AM   #22
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
many thanks Slief for your very supportive assistance.

I admit, I am an Old tech guy and really starting having confusion how to update the firmware.

as a matter of fact, I still trying to find out how can I connect my NETGEAR wireless internet adapter so that I can start go wireless and even able to let my Apex performed what she was made of. so shame to ask but it is a reality I need some one like you to help and guide me on this new tech piece of equipment. I have read several times on their manual and getting confuse if I have to connect the netgear first to my PC to make some setting before I have it hooked into my Apex and able to let me run wireless........can you help me further on this ?

well for recap, as of now:

1st- I need to connect my Net gear and go wireless

2nd -I beleived after I go wireless connection then I have to figure out how to update the new version firmware in order to be able to run the apex fusion and apex fusion control.

cheers,

MD

Like I told you in my last post. You CAN NOT update your firmware over wireless. If you do, you WILL brick your Apex. You absolutely much plug the Apex into a switch or router with your PC connected to it as well. Once you have that done, then you can worry about the netgear unit and for that, I suggest you follow the netgear instructions first to get that setup and then plug your Apex into it and it should see the network but absolutely do not attempt to update the Apex firmware through the netgear. You will likely uin the controller and need to send it in for service.

Unread 12/15/2014, 05:44 AM   #23
machodik
Registered Member

Thanks Slief , so much appreciate for your valuable advises .

I got your point and I will not update the firmware using wireless . I will follow as you said .

But to make sure I do it correctly , I would like to post some picture to make sure that I do it correctly , I hope you guide me on this update as I think if I make a mistakes then that will be a disaster as I am not in the US and sending back the apex for repair will be a big issue specially I am planing to have a family trip abroad next month for a week and that is the reason why I am in need for this update etc.

For your references , my desktop PC with the modem and router are located far from my tank , so the following is my idea;

1) can I unplug all the connection like pump , lights etc and I just move the whole apex unit near to the place where my desktop PC and modem are located . FYI, I have my apex enclose in an unused computer case and that is why I can move the whole unit .

2) I attached photos to show you the modem and wifi router (the Dlink - is this the one that I have to connect to my apex module )?

3) for verification is it correct to connect the apex module as in the photos to use the Ethernet cable to connect to the wifi router- Dlink (a picture showing the in one of the various slots of the router)?

4) I presume if I move the said apex unit (console) near my desktop PC, I will need to plug to electric outlet of the EB8 In order to provide electric supply to the module ? Right ?

Cheers,

MD

Last edited by machodik; 12/15/2014 at 05:59 AM.
Unread 12/15/2014, 10:10 AM   #24
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Slief , so much appreciate for your valuable advises .

I got your point and I will not update the firmware using wireless . I will follow as you said .

But to make sure I do it correctly , I would like to post some picture to make sure that I do it correctly , I hope you guide me on this update as I think if I make a mistakes then that will be a disaster as I am not in the US and sending back the apex for repair will be a big issue specially I am planing to have a family trip abroad next month for a week and that is the reason why I am in need for this update etc.

For your references , my desktop PC with the modem and router are located far from my tank , so the following is my idea;

1) can I unplug all the connection like pump , lights etc and I just move the whole apex unit near to the place where my desktop PC and modem are located . FYI, I have my apex enclose in an unused computer case and that is why I can move the whole unit .

2) I attached photos to show you the modem and wifi router (the Dlink - is this the one that I have to connect to my apex module )?

3) for verification is it correct to connect the apex module as in the photos to use the Ethernet cable to connect to the wifi router- Dlink (a picture showing the in one of the various slots of the router)?

4) I presume if I move the said apex unit (console) near my desktop PC, I will need to plug to electric outlet of the EB8 In order to provide electric supply to the module ? Right ?

Cheers,

MD
That will work. Move your Apex controller and EB8 over to your router. Then plug the EB8 in to the power outlet, The Aqex brian into your router that the computer is also connected to and then plug the Apex controller into the EB8 via the Aquabus cable (USB looking cable).

Then perform the update being sure to follow the instructions carefully. First update the firmware. Then the www files. Then wait an hour before updating the modules like the EB8 per my instructions and photos above. If all modules report "OK in the module settings page then you don't need to update them but if report "OLD" then that module will need to be updated which is done via the browser or the LCD control display. I'd just keep the Apex at your computer for the hour and update it from the web browser while you have it connected to your network. While you are waiting that hour, you can configure your netgear wireless device. You don't need your Apex connected to set that up. Once you have it setup, then you can move your Apex back to your tank, connect it to the Netgear wireless bridge and you should be able to access your Apex both over your home network and Fusion if you completed that setup.

Once everything is updated, clear your browser cache and you can then configure Fusion.

I also want to you point you to the Official Neptune Systems Forum. There are lots of Apex experts that monitor that site 24/7. It is a very good resource.
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/forum.php

Unread 12/15/2014, 01:35 PM   #25
machodik
Registered Member

Hi Slief ,

I really appreciated very much for your wonderful help.

You have clearly guide me with every single step and that's already clear my doubts and worries over the hardware portion.

Now , I will carefully study step by step over the software / firmware update procedures portion before I initiate the actual download of Apex Fusion .

I may also need your further guidelines and hope you will be there to assist me as well by then

For now , thanks again and hope you have a nice day!

Cheers,

MD