Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2012, 05:49 PM   #26
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnumair View Post
i faced a minute ick problem once. i fed finely chopped garlic to my fish and ick seemed to disappear after that.
+1 on garlic, also did this method first, fish eat more if you get paste or oil on normal food though. At least in my findings... I never removed my hippo tang also cleaner shrimp should help keep it from coming back.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
srusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 05:52 PM   #27
srusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palting View Post
LOL!!

Sorry, couldn't help it
Not sure what's funny... Google it, I read a long research document that tested garlic. It has data that shows it works... I will see if I can dig it up later tonight.

Basics Write Up - Post #1 | Quick Troubleshooting - Post #1902 | Alternate/Updated Sizing - Post #2723 | Latest Summary - Post #3251 - #3264
Unread 02/24/2012, 05:57 PM   #28
tang named junkyard
Registered Member

Ich

I've had ich 2 times in my reef career (15 years) I beat it both times with a UV light. I know some people will call BS, but in my case I beat it both times with nothing more than a UV. The last bought I had I beat with this cheap (35 to my door) UV. It's a killer little unit and comes with a silent high flow pump installed. The light is still working good in my tank and my ich has never come back. My corals seemed to ad more color and expand a little more as well. I tried the garlic and saw no results.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9W-Aquarium-...ht_2366wt_1022

tang named junkyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2012, 06:01 PM   #29
srusso
Registered Member

http://www.allimed.us/pdf/article/aquacin%5B7%5D.pdf

Not the original document I read, but not a bad one...

Unread 02/24/2012, 06:11 PM   #30
f3honda4me
Registered Member

I've tried garlic. Doesn't work.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 12:59 AM   #31
Mariebaby21
Registered Member

If my DT is a FO, would hyposalinity work in it? It does have a CC bed so copper wouldn't work correct?

Current Tank Info: 80g fish only
Mariebaby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 01:07 AM   #32
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

no rock and such in the tank? then yes you can do hypo in the main tank but it will kill off all life in the cc bed also if you have snails and such they will have to be moved. as stated a QT tank would be much better

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 01:31 AM   #33
Shells4
Registered Member

Mariebaby 21---If you have any type of substrate in your FO tank DO NOT USE HYPOSALINITY in your DT. I learned that the hard way, biggest mistake I ever made. My tank was only 4 months old so I didn't think there would be much life in the agronite at that point. (it was not live when the tank was started). Even asked on a different forum for opinions, most said "no problem if you take out all of your live rock". I removed all the live rock and inverts to a temporary smaller aquarium and left the fish in the DT. The reason I did this was because I had a couple of tangs and thought it would be more stressful for them to be removed to a smaller tank. I dropped the salinity, thought things we going great...then fish started dieing. I hadn't thought to keep a close eye on the ammonia. As the salinity dropped it killed off the bacteria and whatever else was in the substrate and I had a massive ammonia spike, couldn't even read it on the card it was so high. I was doing huge water changes twice a day to no avail. I started using Prime and Stablity and didn't loose any livestock after that. Only hypo a DT if you have a bare bottom and no rock in the tank.

OP---Now I leave a QT set up at all times and have never lost a fish during hyposalinity. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but you can not let your salanity get higher than 1.009 or the parasite can reproduce. I always drop the salanity to 1.007. I often work a few 14+ hour days in a row and can't keep as close of an eye on the salinity as I would like so that gives me a little bit of wiggle room with no harmful effects on the fish. Just a thought.

Shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 02:00 AM   #34
AngGuKueh
Registered Member

hi for ur advice i tried seachem cupramine and waterlife octozin together within 3 days the ich gone and then after 1 mth i put it back to display tank everything go fine untill now about half year already.

AngGuKueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 02:12 AM   #35
Mariebaby21
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up! But what about using.copper instead oF HS ? Will it work since I have no live rock? Or will it be absorbed into the CC bed?

Current Tank Info: 80g fish only
Mariebaby21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 10:11 AM   #36
MrTuskfish
Registered Member

I'd post your problem in the disease section of the forum.

Steve

Current Tank Info: 180, 2-240 FOWLRs, 240 reef
MrTuskfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 10:56 AM   #37
Shells4
Registered Member

Pretty sure that copper will be absorbed by the CC.

Shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 11:12 AM   #38
f3honda4me
Registered Member

copper will be absorbed into the rock and the CC bed. so you wouldn't be able to have corals or inverts for a very long time until all the copper finally leeched out.

f3honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2012, 11:27 AM   #39
Palting
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariebaby21 View Post
If my DT is a FO, would hyposalinity work in it? It does have a CC bed so copper wouldn't work correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariebaby21 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! But what about using.copper instead oF HS ? Will it work since I have no live rock? Or will it be absorbed into the CC bed?
If you absolutely MUST, if there is no other choice, hyposalinity can be done with a substrate in place. I did it in my 110 gallon tank, here's a link: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892446.

There are some very, very heavy caveats, though.
1. You MUST have an alternate means of mature biofiltration. The beneficial bacteria will survive.
2. Other than your fish and the beneficial bacteria, everything else will die. Your shrimps, worms, pods, Ich parasites, etc, etc, will be killed by the hyposalinity. That's why it is so important to have a mature biofiltration to avoid the deadly ammonia spike from this massive die-off. I had both a bioball sump and a cannister filter on mine. No ammonia spike, but I did get a huge nitrate spike.
3. You must do aggressive mechanical filtration and frequent vaccuming of the substrate to get rid of the dead organisms. As posted in that link I gave you, there were a lot of dead stuff on my mechanical ilters and substrate.

Like I said, do this ONLY if you have no other choice. In retrospect, since I was upgrading to the larger 150 at that time anyway, even though I was successful it would have been better if I took out the substrate on my 110 before I did the hyposalinity.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ganjero