Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > EcoTech Marine
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2015, 08:27 AM   #1
krzyphsygy
Registered Member

XR15 Advice

I have an XR15 Pro with RMS mount on a JBJ frag tank. The tank is 9 inches high. I use this tank for frags only from my main system. My main system is SPS. This is my first try at LEDs. ( T5 GUY ) I have been trying to understand the lighting since purchase. About 7 months now. Its been a struggle. I started at 30 % 14k for 8 hours. didn't see any results in my sps. They browned out or died. Jumped up to 40 % after about 2 months and bleached some sps out. Dropped it back down to 35 % and shortened the schedule to 6 hrs with 1 hr on each end for blues. Still bown sps corals and not color. Raised it up to 40 % a couple weeks ago and no bleaching, but no growth either.
Does any one have any advice on a schedule or anything really. Truth is, I don't really understand how to make the schedule and adjust it perfectly. I usually have to call to get support to help to a degree.
Now I know I still have 60% of light to play with because I am only at 40% right now. So I have def not lost hope. Zoos grow nice under this light. sps is my problem.

krzyphsygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 11:45 AM   #2
vanmo92
Registered Member

Ive been experimenting with mine recently as well. Ive had mine about 7 months now also (2 30's over my 72) and my sps have been going crazy, but I havent been getting very stellar colors. Till about a week ago they were all growing under an overall brightness of about 45-50% with all channels running at 100% (which I think was around 12k). Experimenting with them there is quite a diffrence between 12 and 14k. Maybe adding in a bit more white to the spectrum, maybe just for a few hours per day might give sps a bit more of what they are looking for. Although I just did the opposite and turned my whites down to 70%. I really think my issues are related to a photoperiod thats to long tho. Just my 2 cents

Current Tank Info: 72 gallon bow Mixed Reef 1 fw tank
vanmo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2015, 01:33 PM   #3
aquapod24
Registered Member

Less is more with an xr15 pro. If the tank is 9" high try more like 16-20% and go from there. I have an xr15 pro on nuvo 20 gallon tank and tops I have it is 17% and I will tell you my stuff grows like crazy. It's all softies so you have a little higher intensity you can play with since you have mainly sps. I have a few sps and they are happy and growing ad well

aquapod24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2015, 11:17 PM   #4
Blindf8th
Registered Member

Howdie,

I wanted to know if you were still on the same schedule and brightness max?

I have been struggling as well and may have just now figured out part of my problem and was hoping you could confirm by your experience/understanding.

I have an IM 30L which is very similar to your 20 and I am also using the RMS mounts. Up to this point I have had my brightness from 45% - 60% (experimenting), but I cannot keep SPS to save my life. my PH is low and the big 3 are dead on regarding ideal ranges. With my brightness set at 50% I would previously also have my whites set to 100% which I originally thought meant that they are running at 100% @ 50% max brightness which equals 50% overall. I learned today that might not actually be correct and I may just be cooking everything. Now I have gone down to 45%, but my whites are only at 50% for 5 hours (peak time). Any information you might be able to share would really be appreciate.

1. What is your max brightness set to?
2. General idea of your schedule.
3. Do you run 16% - 18% brightness and 100% whites or a lot lower for your peak times?
4. What K do you have during your peak times. My 5 hours I'm at 14k and that ramps up and down from 20k.
5. What is your yellow bar set to?
6. The brightness setting to the left of it, what do you have set?

Thanks,

Blind

Last edited by Blindf8th; 11/28/2015 at 11:59 PM.
Blindf8th is offline   Reply With Quote