Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 12:19 AM   #1
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Starting a new low tech marine tank . Need opinions.

Hi Folks. Newbie to the forum and saltwater here. Been in freshwater for a while.. after considering many options, I am going for a low tech marine set-up in a 40 breeder.

I am in a country where saltwater reefkeeping/fishkeeping is just picking up.

Would appreciate your input on these LR that a vendor has. He says it's Florida LR.

Are these good enough rocks for me to start things off ? Does it look porous enough ? And , could someone please enlighten me on what are the green n pink growths which are already there. I understand they are some type of corals but I don't have any understanding besides that.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

bk_reefnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 03:21 AM   #2
divewsharks
Registered Member

The rock looks fine. As for the growth on it the pink/purple looks like corraline algae, the other looks like remaining skeleton of a an encrusting coral, nothing to worry about.

divewsharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 05:06 AM   #3
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by divewsharks View Post
The rock looks fine. As for the growth on it the pink/purple looks like corraline algae, the other looks like remaining skeleton of a an encrusting coral, nothing to worry about.
Thank You. Much appreciated.

Unread 01/18/2018, 05:42 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

What do you mean by "low tech"? Do you mean minimal equipment?

Unread 01/18/2018, 09:14 AM   #5
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Yes, planning on minimum equipment. No sump. Hob filter and a hob skimmer. Have seen some ppl skip the skimmer band go for 2 hobs. Iam still thinking about my lights as led reef lights are pretty expensive here.

Setup is going to FOWLR. I ll be having softies / anemones at best.. no sps or lps even.. I am quite new to saltwater and I am planning to learn how to manage with this first. Planning to keep some damsels , wrasses and cuc.

Another reason is that there are frequent power outages, sometimes for hours. Planning on a battery backup for this setup as my generator backup is pretty much utilized, consumption wise.

Will be getting testing equipments for sure.

I am open to suggestions.

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Unread 01/18/2018, 10:25 AM   #6
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Keep in mine Anemones need lots of light.

If you have room, i'd really recommend a sump. Even though it's not needed its a great place to hide things like heaters and various medias

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 10:51 AM   #7
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

A single black box from amazon should be enough for your 40. The LR kinda looks like Fiji rocks

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 11:01 AM   #8
RobZilla04
Registered Member

You'll need at a minimum:

Heat
Light
Flow

If you have minimal bio load and sufficient natural filtration (sand & live rock) you can get away with no filtration or skimmer. Frequent water changes will be a lifestyle to keep parameters in check and manual topping off from evaporation isn't difficult either.

All equipment beyond the above is meant for simplicity and efficiency.

Unread 01/18/2018, 11:31 AM   #9
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Thumbs up

First of all, I just want to say Thank You. What a great bunch of guys here. Thank you for all your inputs. Much appreciated !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguyy84 View Post
Keep in mine Anemones need lots of light.

If you have room, i'd really recommend a sump. Even though it's not needed its a great place to hide things like heaters and various medias
I would like a Sump too. Initially I had planned for a small sump housing skimmer, heater, etc but it would end up consuming a lot of power when compared to the low tech set-up + Costed a lot more as well. I still have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNBUG361 View Post
A single black box from amazon should be enough for your 40. The LR kinda looks like Fiji rocks
I am not sure I know what that is. Could you please share a link ? Wrt the LR, the vendor says that its Florida LR. Fiji Rocks are about 10x the costs of these rocks.. Yikes !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
You'll need at a minimum:

Heat
Light
Flow

If you have minimal bio load and sufficient natural filtration (sand & live rock) you can get away with no filtration or skimmer. Frequent water changes will be a lifestyle to keep parameters in check and manual topping off from evaporation isn't difficult either.

All equipment beyond the above is meant for simplicity and efficiency.
Cool, I don't mind doing weekly water changes.

On the water front, I have access to RO filter at home. Unfortunately, no RO/DI where I am at. Is Distilled water a viable option or is RO good enough ?

Unread 01/18/2018, 11:36 AM   #10
ryeguyy84
Registered Member

Where are you located? Ro is better than nothing but if you can find a DI that would be more ideal

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon
ryeguyy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 11:51 AM   #11
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Would have to look into it. Amazon doesn't list anything. I am in Manipur, India. We are just coming out of the dark ages here.. lol

Unread 01/18/2018, 11:59 AM   #12
JZinCO
Registered Member

Does your water utility publish a water quality report? There are a few lucky people in the US that get away with having clean water (generally surface water fed downhill from mountains where no mining has occurred). That can tell you how important RO/DI is for ya.

The rock looks decent too. Any details on the rock? If you bought now, put it under some light. By the looks of it, you'll find live coral still on the rock.

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 12:35 PM   #13
Drix
Premium Member

Rock looks decent, though I'd scrape off that brownish sponge in the first picture.

Drix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 06:26 PM   #14
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I did a 40 breeder with a HOB filter and no skimmer. I had one MP40 powerhead. I used a Current Orbit Marine LED. Not the expensive pro version just the standard one. They are programable with a wireless remote. The tank did very well and I could keep SPS and LPS corals. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2018, 11:43 PM   #15
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZinCO View Post
Does your water utility publish a water quality report? There are a few lucky people in the US that get away with having clean water (generally surface water fed downhill from mountains where no mining has occurred). That can tell you how important RO/DI is for ya.

The rock looks decent too. Any details on the rock? If you bought now, put it under some light. By the looks of it, you'll find live coral still on the rock.
Rocks are Florida Live Rocks as per seller. I haven't got the rocks in hand yet. He'll be shipping it to my location. It sounds like I should get the light as soon as I get the LR. If that is the case, I'll ask him to hold off shipping until I get the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
Rock looks decent, though I'd scrape off that brownish sponge in the first picture.
Will do as soon as I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
I did a 40 breeder with a HOB filter and no skimmer. I had one MP40 powerhead. I used a Current Orbit Marine LED. Not the expensive pro version just the standard one. They are programable with a wireless remote. The tank did very well and I could keep SPS and LPS corals. Good luck.
Thank you for your encouragement. It seems like such an uphill task. I'll have to be taking my time on this one. Don't wanna hurry it up , even though it is so tempting

Unread 01/19/2018, 12:28 AM   #16
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that we don't have a water quality report. Tap water here is not drinkable. However, water is pretty soft here. I do have access to distilled water. Should I go for RO or distilled ?

The guy who has the only marine tank in my area is using filtered water. He has a green carpet anemone, some damsels and hermit crabs. That system has been running for more than a year.

Unread 01/19/2018, 01:25 AM   #17
socalireefdood
Registered Member

look like nice coraline covered rocks! great start to seed your other rocks

socalireefdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 09:05 AM   #18
naimasreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_reefnoob View Post
Forgot to mention that we don't have a water quality report. Tap water here is not drinkable. However, water is pretty soft here. I do have access to distilled water. Should I go for RO or distilled ?

The guy who has the only marine tank in my area is using filtered water. He has a green carpet anemone, some damsels and hermit crabs. That system has been running for more than a year.

I ran a skimmerless 40g lps reef years ago . . . robzilla offers good advice, keep those 3 smooth and you will be fine.

As for your water, if you can - buy an rodi unit. You can sell water to the other guy, to help cover the cost.

Lots easier to make it.

where are you from?

naimasreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 10:15 AM   #19
JZinCO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_reefnoob View Post
Rocks are Florida Live Rocks as per seller. I haven't got the rocks in hand yet. He'll be shipping it to my location. It sounds like I should get the light as soon as I get the LR. If that is the case, I'll ask him to hold off shipping until I get the lights.
I'd love to see the rocks when the tank is set up (I'd love to know the vendor too so I can check them out!).

That's a shame about your water standards. Glad you won't let that stop you though!

JZinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 02:00 AM   #20
bk_reefnoob
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naimasreef View Post
I ran a skimmerless 40g lps reef years ago . . . robzilla offers good advice, keep those 3 smooth and you will be fine.

As for your water, if you can - buy an rodi unit. You can sell water to the other guy, to help cover the cost.

Lots easier to make it.

where are you from?
I am in Manipur, India. I understand what you are saying. Those 5 Level RODI filters cost about $100 in US but I need to pay around $300 to get it here. None available for aquarium usage locally. However, there seems to be some DIY stuff out there. Need to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZinCO View Post
I'd love to see the rocks when the tank is set up (I'd love to know the vendor too so I can check them out!).

That's a shame about your water standards. Glad you won't let that stop you though!
Hey, I am sure you can find far better in US but here's his website : http://www.marineworldindia.com/