Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 05:06 PM   #1
winterpeg
Registered Member

Sump crashing causing bubbles IDEAS? loud how to make quite

My water is coming down from 2 1.5 inch lines

It has its final turn on a 90 Then goes in Sump bit it's Loud. And has lots of bubbles I sump.

Ideas to make it quite are welcome

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 05:18 PM   #2
outy
Moved On

Cut pipe so its 1" under water and add a 90 elbow. will help dissipate bubbles and make it more quiet

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 05:20 PM   #3
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outy View Post
Cut pipe so its 1" under water and add a 90 elbow. will help dissipate bubbles and make it more quiet
I tried a 45 and still bubbles but the other side had a T that was very bad idea

Unread 01/20/2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Cheapreef
Registered Member

How much flow are you running through the 1.5" lines to need 2? If you can mod your setup to run a bean animal style overflow it is almost completely silent. This would depend on if you would have enough frlow through one of your 1.5" lines.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 10:55 PM   #5
winterpeg
Registered Member

Here is the top

My BV are wide open ignore the image

The tank was designed this way from tank guy...

They place 2 just incase one get plugged ie fish

Unread 01/21/2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Mysticalknight
Registered Member

Is that three drains? If so make it into a beananimal, if it’s only two do a herbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysticalknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 05:06 PM   #7
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticalknight View Post
Is that three drains? If so make it into a beananimal, if it’s only two do a herbie

Far 2 are to sump
The middle is my return line
Left emerg line

Unread 01/21/2018, 05:19 PM   #8
outy
Moved On

Turn your pump down, you have way to much flow

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 06:13 PM   #9
Mysticalknight
Registered Member

Sump crashing causing bubbles IDEAS? loud how to make quite

Outy makes a good point. A lot of people only advocate having 3-5 times your total system volume going through your sump every hour. However if you want a lot of movement and silent too then on your picture what you need to do is install a bean animal drain setup. You have everything you need to do it. (From the back view as you took it). Either of the two left lines (right when viewing from the front) can be your full siphon and the other your trickle. Swap out one of the ball valves for a good quality gate valve on whichever you make the full siphon and leave the emergency as it is. And you can ditch the dursos. All you should need to buy is a gate valve and just two straight pipes (maybe a strainer for the full siphon line if you want)

Unread 01/21/2018, 06:22 PM   #10
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Outy makes a good point. A lot of people only advocate having 3-5 times your total system volume going through your sump every hour. However if you want a lot of movement and silent too then on your picture what you need to do is install a bean animal drain setup. You have everything you need to do it. (From the back view as you took it). Either of the two left lines (right when viewing from the front) can be your full siphon and the other your trickle. Swap out one of the ball valves for a good quality gate valve on whichever you make the full siphon and leave the emergency as it is. And you can ditch the dursos. All you should need to buy is a gate valve and just two straight pipes (maybe a strainer for the full siphon line if you want)

Thanks

I had to order these amazing BV from USA as Canada has nothing like this. We only have the cheep box store ones. If I plan this route must spend a bundle on one from us

Unread 01/21/2018, 06:57 PM   #11
Mysticalknight
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Thanks

I had to order these amazing BV from USA as Canada has nothing like this. We only have the cheep box store ones. If I plan this route must spend a bundle on one from us

I’m assuming BRS ships to Canada

https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/...w=gate%20valve

I got the slightly more expensive version, worth their weight in gold and for the standpipes all you will need is some straight pvc from one of your local stores. Leave the ball valves on everything else. Honestly you can leave it on the full siphon line and just add the gate valve. That way when you need to close it you don’t have to fine tune the drain again. Just when your running normally all the ball valves should be wide open on the three drains

Unread 01/21/2018, 06:59 PM   #12
Mysticalknight
Registered Member

Also, looooooveeee that overflow box. Jealous of you lol. I remember watching a video where Sanjay joshi was actually using his external coast to coast overflow as an acclimation chamber for fish to help with agression

Unread 01/21/2018, 07:00 PM   #13
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Also, looooooveeee that overflow box. Jealous of you lol. I remember watching a video where Sanjay joshi was actually using his external coast to coast overflow as an acclimation chamber for fish to help with agression

Thanks my fish store designed my tank.

But we almost didn't get it in the house as I though I was 24 wide but doors was only like 30.5 and tank was just scraping by.

Unread 01/21/2018, 07:19 PM   #14
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks

What? Did you look around to see before ordering? I'm in Canada as well, not much we can't get here in country besides colored PVC.
If you change to a bean animal or a herbie you should really run a gate valve on the main syphon line to fine tune correctly.

Link to the double union ball valves and the gate valves in Canada.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...luded-1.5.html
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Valves/

Unread 01/21/2018, 07:38 PM   #15
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
What? Did you look around to see before ordering? I'm in Canada as well, not much we can't get here in country besides colored PVC.
If you change to a bean animal or a herbie you should really run a gate valve on the main syphon line to fine tune correctly.

Link to the double union ball valves and the gate valves in Canada.

http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-st...luded-1.5.html
http://www.reefsupplies.ca/online-store/Valves/
I'll try this first I'm new to big tanks

I looked allover Canada foe these BV and no one has them

Just the junk white and blue handles or red and they something similar to Cepex but nothing comes close

Unread 01/21/2018, 08:50 PM   #16
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll try this first I'm new to big tanks

I looked allover Canada foe these BV and no one has them

Just the junk white and blue handles or red and they something similar to Cepex but nothing comes close

First link I sent has the true double union ball valves, there almost exact to what you pictured on your setup. Few other places sell the same ones, Reef supplies happens to be my go to online store.
Gate valves are far better for tuning your main overflow line though.

Unread 01/22/2018, 04:17 PM   #17
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
First link I sent has the true double union ball valves, there almost exact to what you pictured on your setup. Few other places sell the same ones, Reef supplies happens to be my go to online store.
Gate valves are far better for tuning your main overflow line though.
Thanks

Unread 01/22/2018, 04:51 PM   #18
mic209
Registered Member

As mentioned already, switching to a bean animal style will get rid of the bubbles crashing/popping in your sump. But a gate valve isn’t entirely necessary and you’ll be able to tune the ball valve just fine if you are running a lot of flow. I have 1.5” full siphon drain with a ball valve and I was able to tune it just fine. A gate valve would make the periodic adjustments a lot easier and I will for sure go to a gate valve if I ever move the tank. Just keep
in mind, the more flow you run, the easier it will be to tune and silence with a ball valve.

mic209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 07:47 PM   #19
Lsufan
Registered Member

U are already setup to run a herbie. I would turn the 90 on the standpipe on the left up & use it as the emergency. How u have it right now the noice is coming from the standpipe on the left that should be the emergency. U have way to much flow going through it. Open the valve on the emergency all the way up. Once u get the syphon going then fine tune it to get the water level in the overflow box at the correct hieght. U don’t want much water if any at all going down the emergency. U are already setup for a syphon drain u just need to tune it. I wouldn’t setup a tank without a syphon drain & specifically a beananimal

EDIT: I just noticed that u look like u are setup to run a beananimal. Is the pipe all the way to the right in the pic the emergency drain? If so it looks like u just need to raise the entire standpipe on the left so it is 1/2” to 3/4” higher then the syphon standpipe. U only want a slight amount of water going down the standpipe all the way to the left, which is actually called the open channel on a beananimal

Last edited by Lsufan; 01/22/2018 at 08:29 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 09:18 AM   #20
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Just a heads up -- Check valves are 1 thing almost everyone agrees on,
They Will FAIL.
Better off removing it now.

Unread 02/26/2018, 04:15 PM   #21
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
U are already setup to run a herbie. I would turn the 90 on the standpipe on the left up & use it as the emergency. How u have it right now the noice is coming from the standpipe on the left that should be the emergency. U have way to much flow going through it. Open the valve on the emergency all the way up. Once u get the syphon going then fine tune it to get the water level in the overflow box at the correct hieght. U don’t want much water if any at all going down the emergency. U are already setup for a syphon drain u just need to tune it. I wouldn’t setup a tank without a syphon drain & specifically a beananimal

EDIT: I just noticed that u look like u are setup to run a beananimal. Is the pipe all the way to the right in the pic the emergency drain? If so it looks like u just need to raise the entire standpipe on the left so it is 1/2” to 3/4” higher then the syphon standpipe. U only want a slight amount of water going down the standpipe all the way to the left, which is actually called the open channel on a beananimal
my emergancy is on the far right.

My LFS made the tank and provided me how to set up.

Unread 02/26/2018, 04:16 PM   #22
winterpeg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Just a heads up -- Check valves are 1 thing almost everyone agrees on,
They Will FAIL.
Better off removing it now.
so if it Will fail what do you use.

i don't mind the words of advise but just telling me to remove it with out a how to resolve the siphoning....

Unread 02/27/2018, 09:38 AM   #23
tthouston
Registered Member

Didn't complete reading all the thread, but I have some opinion.
1- On the top, you need a cap covers for those overflow. Just drill a hole on the top of cap cover big enough for water drain, the water sound will reduce a lot.
2- On the bottom, the pipe should under the water for less sound.
3- Put the filter sock at drain pipe will reduce the micro bubbles, and put the black foam between the middle compartment and return compartment for final reduce micro bubbles.
4- No needs reduce the speed of pump return, I think that is for the last last option.

tthouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 10:35 AM   #24
frankv702
Registered Member

Quote:
so if it Will fail what do you use.

i don't mind the words of advise but just telling me to remove it with out a how to resolve the siphoning....

Raise your return pipes enough to where when the pump is off, water doesn't flood your sump.. Definitely don't depend on a check valve to not flood, because they will fail and it seems to happen the one time you need it NOT to fail.

It looks like you've got two main drains on the left and an emergency drain on the far right... Set up a bean animal drain.. It'll be dead silent. Running a full siphon is the only way to go, especially with the drains you have.

I'd do what LSUfan said.. on one of the standpipes on the left, flip the 90 so the open portion is facing up and use that as one of the emergency drains, the other pipe with the 90 facing down, open your vale so that it has a full siphon and is just cresting over the emergency drain with the 90 faced up.

frankv702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 11:11 AM   #25
mcgyvr
Registered Member

winterpeg,
First..
Read this and look at the images,etc... then ask questions if you don't understand exactly whats going on there..
http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx

You want to replicate that exactly..
You are "close" now but its not right hence why you are having noise issues..

What you want is
1-A full siphon channel which is the only drain that you need a valve on and the only one where you adjust the valve..
2-An open channel which is the one with the hole in the top and its valve (since you have one) should be fully open..
3-An emergency channel which you have on the far right and its valve if it has one should also be full open..
4-Both the full and open channel pipes should be 1/2" to no more than 1" below the water level in the sump.. They need to be under water though.

Once you get it setup there should be no noise at all (there is a bit of a break in period that could last a few minutes to a few hours or more initially..)

After you set it up.. post pictures again and let us know if by just adjusting the full channel valve you can get it to be quiet..
Note there should be zero bubbles coming out of the full channel and if you have bubbles coming out of the open channel you need to open the full channel valve some to allow more water to flow through it..

Get that setup then lets go from there...

Last edited by mcgyvr; 02/27/2018 at 11:16 AM.
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote