Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/01/2015, 09:21 AM   #7251
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chema View Post
That's weird, because usually you see larger and quicker reductions in nitrate than phosphate. May be it depends on the species of alga which is growing on the screen.
as you know Phosphate figures are much lower in magnitude than Nitrate ones. I have a 180 gal system and I had 0.12ppm PO4 and around 7.5 ppm of Nitrate. Also it is difficult to quantify a 1ppm reduction of Nitrates since test kits for NO3 are not that exact , while for PO4 if you use hanna digital tester it is preaty easy.

Unread 12/01/2015, 04:07 PM   #7252
herring_fish
Crazy Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chema View Post
That's weird, because usually you see larger and quicker reductions in nitrate than phosphate. May be it depends on the species of alga which is growing on the screen.
Bacteria load in the tank and phosphates that are temporarily bound in the rock are just two examples of factors that can render weird results.

herring_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 04:31 PM   #7253
chagovatoloco
Registered Member

Hay, what do you guys think of the marine magic scrubber on ebay item number.
I am thinking of putting the light in the overflow box of my innovative marine 40.

chagovatoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 07:09 PM   #7254
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Has anyone used this light on a scrubber?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M31GHHO?psc=1

If so what size screen would it effectively light?

And the 20 watt version?

Thanks.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 08:13 PM   #7255
m1k3
Registered Member

Bud, couple questions but let's start with my situation. I've got a 125 with a 20 sump and separate 20 fuge with cheato. 8 fish and a variety of soft and lps. My skimmer is by some accounts a tad undersized, aquamaxx cones co-1. Tank started to get overtaken with the short brown fuzz algea but lately have also been getting a powdery green algea that is easy to blow off with a turkey baster. And it's getting worse. Oh also run the BRS mini gfo reactor with their standard bulk media. I have recently began feeding more especially the coral which is obviously contributing to the algae prob. On average I would say I feed 1.5-2 cube equivalent per day. Always been curious about ATS but didn't think too much about one till my algae problems started getting worse. I should also add that my nitrates are always unreadable and phosphates never more than .02 on red sea kit. Obviously a lot of phosphates are bound up in the algae and my pukani rock may well still be leaching. I love diying so this looks like a fun project and I can't wait to get started. Have a lot of stuff on order already and heatsink will be 2-4 weeks coming from china. Picked up the canvas today and prepped it, it is marinating in the fuge alongside my cheato ball, at a min it should at least get a biofilm on it by the time I am ready for it. Couple more fish to add and a lot more coral so I am shooting for a 3 cube per day system. Here is what I got so far, let me know if I am off anywhere:

6x6 lit area 2 sides.
Enclosed
6 ea 660nm (cree XP-E )and 1 450 nm (cree XT-E) per side
Driven by a meanwell 60-48d
Dimming and timer control via arduino upped to 10v via op amp and dac (this will be one of the funner parts).
Heat sink to be cut in two is 300x140mm

Still debating on separate pump or splicing off my return line. I do not want to tap my drain line. Looking to upgrade my return pump and would like tune everything but the skimmer off of it. Goal is to get rid of the fuge and use the mini reactor for carbon. Oh and be algae free or close to it in the DT.

So the questions, did I get the level of light corect? Assuming yes would best layout be simply two rows of three with the blue in the middle or some other configuration? Since I am going enclosed what do you recommend for the number and size of drains?

My biggest concern at the moment is my tank is practically silent, loudest noise being the fans on my two photon lights. That's the main reason I opted for enclosed am I going to hear this thing? Any tips to make it as silent as possible?

Wow I've never written that much on my tablet before...

m1k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 08:37 PM   #7256
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafudaFish View Post
Has anyone used this light on a scrubber?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M31GHHO?psc=1

If so what size screen would it effectively light?

And the 20 watt version?

Thanks.
Yes, multi-chip fixtures are generally pretty good, but can create a hot spot right in front of the chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagovatoloco View Post
Hay, what do you guys think of the marine magic scrubber on ebay item number.
I am thinking of putting the light in the overflow box of my innovative marine 40.
IMO, developed by someone with little to no understanding of how a scrubber works, just trying to fill a void with and HOB unit. There are multiple things wrong with this design. Haven't seen on in operating but just from examining the way it's put together, waste of $$. If I thought that design would work well, I would build one like it.

--> POSTS #3251-64 (Basics), #5206 (Cleaning), #6884 (LEDs), #729
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2015, 10:09 PM   #7257
chagovatoloco
Registered Member

This is what I use now, I placed a 3" round air stone in the bottom of one column. I suspended a screen with some pvc pipe and have an innovative marine magnetic fuge light. But as I understand it the led are 6500k, not right and I'm sure I could do more with better lighting.

I thought about a santamonica drop 2x but, the flow is restricted and I feel with better lighting I may do well with what I have. It's not the money I just want the best scrubber for my setup.

Unread 12/01/2015, 10:10 PM   #7258
chagovatoloco
Registered Member

Unread 12/01/2015, 10:11 PM   #7259
chagovatoloco
Registered Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but scrubber help is hard to find.

Unread 12/01/2015, 10:22 PM   #7260
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
6x6 lit area 2 sides.
Enclosed
6 ea 660nm (cree XP-E )and 1 450 nm (cree XT-E) per side
Driven by a meanwell 60-48d
Dimming and timer control via arduino upped to 10v via op amp and dac (this will be one of the funner parts).
Heat sink to be cut in two is 300x140mm
Sounds pretty good. With the RB I would instead run a pair of these and wire them in parallel together, then wire this pair in series with the red string. This avoids needing a separate driver and cuts down on the intensity, you don't need much blue. I use SemiLED Hyper Violets instead of blues, they seem to work better

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
So the questions, did I get the level of light corect? Assuming yes would best layout be simply two rows of three with the blue in the middle or some other configuration? Since I am going enclosed what do you recommend for the number and size of drains?

My biggest concern at the moment is my tank is practically silent, loudest noise being the fans on my two photon lights. That's the main reason I opted for enclosed am I going to hear this thing? Any tips to make it as silent as possible?

Wow I've never written that much on my tablet before...
Level is good, you can do different configurations, just try to get as even spacing as you can to get good even coverage. You're on the right track. What I would do is figure up your sq in (36) and divide by the # of reds (6) so you want to have each 660 cover a 6 sq in area (2x3 or 2.5x2x5, etc) then find a place for the blues after that (don't take the blues into consideration when spacing the reds)

Making it silent is not difficult, you can extend the screen into the water by an inch or so to prevent the water from crashing into the sump and that will get you a long way.

Unread 12/01/2015, 10:23 PM   #7261
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagovatoloco View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but scrubber help is hard to find.
You're not threadjacking here if you are posting about your scrubber - not a problem!!!

Unread 12/01/2015, 10:46 PM   #7262
chagovatoloco
Registered Member

Thank you, so what would help my scrubber?

Unread 12/01/2015, 11:12 PM   #7263
karimwassef
Registered Member

Is it time to scrape my overflow scrubber?

photo 664397DA-AA89-4CD3-B4D3-8E52DA8E0969_zpsspgtewpz.jpg

photo F8B11EAA-97D1-4976-B199-F867D360DFD7_zpsjicw5qs4.jpg

photo 93EF70EE-9F20-49BA-A479-4ECB9C26F6E3_zpsemmacdau.jpg

The areas closest to the surface but submerged have red slime cyano. The regions underneath (including under the cyano) have dark green hair. Above the waterline and behind the overflow shadow are empty.

Is this normal/healthy?

The glass back wall is still growing too.

photo 3AFFDD26-B43A-4DB3-9726-4A5B1B96A726_zpsnltkr470.jpg

I'll scrape that too.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape

Last edited by karimwassef; 12/01/2015 at 11:59 PM.
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 02:32 AM   #7264
karimwassef
Registered Member

Oh. It's been four weeks for the growth above. Very tempted to take it out.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 05:22 AM   #7265
chema
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herring_fish View Post
Bacteria load in the tank and phosphates that are temporarily bound in the rock are just two examples of factors that can render weird results.
That's true. The rate of phosphate adsorption to the rock, or leaching, may modify the ratio of nitrate/phosphate reduction you may theoretically expect.

chema is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 07:57 AM   #7266
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Thank you for looking at the link. Now it is time to do some reading and planning for my build.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 11:01 AM   #7267
hkgar
Registered Member

I see people posting about 0 PO4 after installing a scrubber. Heck, i run a scrubber, dose vinegar and run both GFO and GAC, and have a skimmer. I feed heavy: 6 grams of homemade frozen, 8 sq inches of nori, 1 Marine grazzer ring, and a pinch of pellets per day; but I have a lot of fish - a pretty heavy bio load.

My po4 test 2 days ago (4 days after changing GFO) was .03 (Hanna checker) and nitrate about 1.5 with RedSea Pro.

Here are pics of my screen after 10 days and my skimmer after 1 day.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen 1.jpg (40.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg screen 2.jpg (42.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg screen3.jpg (73.7 KB, 74 views)

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 11:42 AM   #7268
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I see people posting about 0 PO4 after installing a scrubber. Heck, i run a scrubber, dose vinegar and run both GFO and GAC, and have a skimmer. I feed heavy: 6 grams of homemade frozen, 8 sq inches of nori, 1 Marine grazzer ring, and a pinch of pellets per day; but I have a lot of fish - a pretty heavy bio load.

My po4 test 2 days ago (4 days after changing GFO) was .03 (Hanna checker) and nitrate about 1.5 with RedSea Pro.

Here are pics of my screen after 10 days and my skimmer after 1 day.
I haven't even got my scrubber running yet and I don’t know what the dimensions of your screen are so I'm a noob but IMO it looks too small for that amount of food you listed (but I'm not great with judging size so I could be completely wrong). If you read the posts in Flyod's signature he goes through sizing the screen for the amount of food and correct lighting for the screen size. I would say if you sized your screen to the amount fed and light correctly (you didnt say how you have it lit) then you would possibly be able to remove the GFO and probably stop carbon dosing (stop slowly of course) and keep a similar PO4 level. I think a skimmer and GAC are still good to have as they do slightly different jobs, skimmers remove organics and GAC removes chemicals from soft corals and polishes the water.

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"
MaccaPopEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 12:43 PM   #7269
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaPopEye View Post
I haven't even got my scrubber running yet and I don’t know what the dimensions of your screen are so I'm a noob but IMO it looks too small for that amount of food you listed (but I'm not great with judging size so I could be completely wrong). If you read the posts in Flyod's signature he goes through sizing the screen for the amount of food and correct lighting for the screen size. I would say if you sized your screen to the amount fed and light correctly (you didnt say how you have it lit) then you would possibly be able to remove the GFO and probably stop carbon dosing (stop slowly of course) and keep a similar PO4 level. I think a skimmer and GAC are still good to have as they do slightly different jobs, skimmers remove organics and GAC removes chemicals from soft corals and polishes the water.
Screen size is 6x8 (48 square inches per side) and lit on both sides with 23W CFL (1 on each side). Photo period is 18 hours on 6 hours off.

Using the calculator https://docs.zoho.com/sheet/publishe...b2b670ae00412b I am feeding just under the max for 48 inches at 3.9 equivalent cubes per day.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels

Last edited by hkgar; 12/02/2015 at 01:04 PM.
Unread 12/02/2015, 01:05 PM   #7270
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Apologies then, 48 square inches should do 4 cubes per day which should be good enough. 23W of CFL is bit on the low side. I think recommended is minimum of 24W each side for a 48 square inch screen, even a bit more could be beneficial, I have been reading up on LEDs so not sure about CFL but they could be the wrong colour temp too?

The only other major factor I can think of is flow. If your screen is 6" wide then it should have around 210GPH of flow. If you have all that then you will have to wait for one of the experts to chime in as I can’t think of anything else. I guess if you have all of that down and you want to increase growth try more intense lighting?

"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle"

Last edited by MaccaPopEye; 12/02/2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Unread 12/02/2015, 01:19 PM   #7271
hkgar
Registered Member

The lights are 5000K and flow, last time I measured was a bit over the 210, I should check it again.

Unread 12/02/2015, 01:26 PM   #7272
MaccaPopEye
Registered Member

Best CFL lights are 2700K-3000K. It sounds like everything is correct except the lights. Like I said I am a complete noob so wait for someone more experienced to confirm but I would say increase your lights wattage and lower the colour temp if you want to stick with CFL lights.

Unread 12/02/2015, 01:50 PM   #7273
Paul B
Premium Member

I don't remember when I built this thing, maybe 8 weeks ago. I have a very weak temporary LED on it that was probably used for lighting a closet and I also have a five foot algae trough in this tank that grows algae. This also needs more flow but being it also feeds my reverse UG filter I would need to do a lot of re-designing to accomplish that. I have been using mortar and cement in my reef since the 70s. To grow algae and build rocks. Algae loves cement like I love Supermodels.

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 02:07 PM   #7274
Floyd R Turbo
Either busy or sleeping

It was about 5 weeks ago Paul, I posted your screen here a couple pages back

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...9#post24089859

Unread 12/02/2015, 02:27 PM   #7275
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccaPopEye View Post
Best CFL lights are 2700K-3000K. It sounds like everything is correct except the lights. Like I said I am a complete noob so wait for someone more experienced to confirm but I would say increase your lights wattage and lower the colour temp if you want to stick with CFL lights.
Actually, I was wrong. I just checked the box and they bulbs are 2700K.