Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2017, 10:23 AM   #2951
Benson0219
Registered Member

Dan, any updates on your wonderful tank?

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon Reef Tank
Benson0219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2017, 07:07 PM   #2952
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Just read pretty much this whole post. Wow on the fish.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2017, 11:37 PM   #2953
danfeig
RC Sponsor

Tank Update (Partial)

I can't believe how long it has been since I have updated this thread or have been on Reef Central!

My tank has been doing amazing! There have been a few trials and tribulations over the last couple years - like when I forgot to shut off my doser controlling my Alkalinity for 48 hours or when I didn't notice a pump went out in my refugium. I also had to remove my sunburst anemones from my tank as they started to terrorize a few of my more precious colonies. Unfortunately, they would not come out easily.

I have had to do a lot of trimming, fragging and removal of corals - as many of my tabling acros started creating too much shade for other colonies below them.

I made some equipment changes as well. O2manyfish convinced me to go with a DaStaco Calcium reactor and eliminate dosing. But then recently, I decided to add a couple of the Apex Dosers and start dosing Triton Core7 products. It's only been a few days, so time will tell. I am very optimistic though!!! I had my Ozone Reactor die on me last year along with the pump on my sand reactor. I have not replaced either yet and have noticed an increase in some algae on my glass. I have to wipe my glass one to two more times weekly then in the past. I plan on replumbing my sand reactor in the next few weeks. I have also made a reactor/feeder to dose my main tank with live pods, brine shrimp and phytoplankton on a daily basis. It's essentially an old Kalk Stirrer from Avast that I modified with a light, air stone and dosing pump. It will hold a gallon plus of pods/shrimp.

As soon as I can find someone with great camera skills, I will post some pictures and perhaps an updated video!

Rest assured, I am still in love with the hobby and am enjoying my tank as much as I did 5 years ago. I will try to answer the questions recently posted shortly or any others that any of you may have.

Happy Reefing!

Unread 03/10/2017, 07:44 AM   #2954
SPotter
Registered Member

Great update Dan! I am using a DaStaco as well and love it!

Am I really doing all of this for a fish tank??????

Current Tank Info: 360g Envision Acrylic Tank, Closed Loops, Vectra L1's, MP40QD's, 400w Radiums, Regal 300ext, Dastaco Ext3 CaRx, Controlled by GHL Profilux
SPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 10:19 PM   #2955
Raptor72
Registered Member

Still up and running?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL, Red Sea 170
Raptor72 is offline   Reply With Quote