Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2018, 12:00 PM   #1
aby
Registered Member

If You Live Far From Sea

How do I get a saltwater when I live far from sea?

aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Im not sure if your serious or not, but if you are... You purchase salt from places like this

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tank-.../salt-mix.html

You then mix it to your specific gravity for your tank. Always add RO/DI water first to your bucket, then add salt.

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 12:37 PM   #3
aby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8linespeed View Post
Im not sure if your serious or not, but if you are... You purchase salt from places like this

You then mix it to your specific gravity for your tank. Always add RO/DI water first to your bucket, then add salt.
How is this work? Is it like mix the salt with freshwater?

Unread 01/11/2018, 12:39 PM   #4
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
How is this work? Is it like mix the salt with freshwater?
you would get an RODI (Reverse Osmosis with a De-ionization stage) water filter unit, and make yourself some 0 TDS (Total Dissolved Solids in Parts Per Million) then mix in the salt until you get the right amount.

you can also often buy premixed saltwater from your local fish stores, but that's usually pretty expensive.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 12:44 PM   #5
aby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8linespeed View Post

What do you mean with "specific gravity"? How do I do that?

Unread 01/11/2018, 01:29 PM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
What do you mean with "specific gravity"? How do I do that?
Have you read ANY of the stickies at the top of this forum?????? Start there. Read THEM ALL, then post any questions that aren't already answered there!

from some of your other posts, it would seem that you already have a tank running. I'm just not sure how if you are asking a question like this.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 04:36 PM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member

99% of people who live near the ocean doesnt get it from the sea as well. I would not trust any saltwater source near a major metro area.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 05:01 PM   #8
saf1
Registered Member

@Tripod1404 - I'm somewhat near being in Sacramento but you raise an interesting point. I wouldn't grab water out of the San Francisco Bay for sure but there are some surrounding areas up North I'd be willing to grab from. Interesting enough with our drought prior to last year that was going to be my solution. Do a day dive trip in Monterey then fill up a couple 50 gallon drums of NSW and lug it back. Even wrote the California Water Resource Control Board to find areas I could pull from, well, because I'm in California and everything is against the law.

They actually replied and said it was a great idea and has long as I stay out of the marine sanctuaries and parks I was ok to take. Only other word was if any animals are breeding or resting I have to go elsewhere. Still on option on the table that I could store 100 gallons or so since it has a good shelf life. Just drain from the top and let the sediment stay on the bottom.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 05:09 PM   #9
aby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
99% of people who live near the ocean doesnt get it from the sea as well. I would not trust any saltwater source near a major metro area.
Why? Is it because sea near major metro area is dirty or contaminate with dangerous substance?

Unread 01/11/2018, 05:34 PM   #10
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
@Tripod1404 - I'm somewhat near being in Sacramento but you raise an interesting point. I wouldn't grab water out of the San Francisco Bay for sure but there are some surrounding areas up North I'd be willing to grab from. Interesting enough with our drought prior to last year that was going to be my solution. Do a day dive trip in Monterey then fill up a couple 50 gallon drums of NSW and lug it back. Even wrote the California Water Resource Control Board to find areas I could pull from, well, because I'm in California and everything is against the law.

They actually replied and said it was a great idea and has long as I stay out of the marine sanctuaries and parks I was ok to take. Only other word was if any animals are breeding or resting I have to go elsewhere. Still on option on the table that I could store 100 gallons or so since it has a good shelf life. Just drain from the top and let the sediment stay on the bottom.
As long as the water is not coming from a metro area or close to a major river drainage, it should be fine. California current runs west to east and north to south direction. So as long as you get it from north of Sf, it is basically water coming from north/central pacific, but if you go south of sf, you will get water flowing trough and around bay area, I would not do that.

Unread 01/11/2018, 05:35 PM   #11
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Why? Is it because sea near major metro area is dirty or contaminate with dangerous substance?
yes, storm drains and agricultural runoff makes water unsuitable.

Unread 01/11/2018, 08:21 PM   #12
thegrun
Registered Member

...and you run the risk if introducing parasites and other unwanted hitchhikers into your tank.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2018, 11:07 PM   #13
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Hook, Line and Sinker?

75 gal Brazilian Dragon Mor
rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 02:09 AM   #14
aby
Registered Member

What about whitespot fish disease? Isn't this disease spread much more in freshwater+salt than a pure seawater?

Unread 01/12/2018, 06:31 AM   #15
Green Chromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Hi, I live within a 25 mile area of a major metropolitan city, and I use nothing but NSW, that I collect locally. Nothing better, and always fun to collect. Are you one of those aquarist who use dead rock over live rock, because of the fear of hitchhikers?

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Carribean Reef System, ETSS Protein Skimmer, 1.5HP Tradewinds Chiller, Reef Breeders Photon V2+ LED Lighting For The Refugium, Mitra LX7206 LED Lights For Display Tank
Green Chromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 07:36 AM   #16
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Have you read ANY of the stickies at the top of this forum?????? Start there. Read THEM ALL, then post any questions that aren't already answered there!

from some of your other posts, it would seem that you already have a tank running. I'm just not sure how if you are asking a question like this.
I was answering Op's question about raising phyto and pods on another thread. The questions they ask are making my head spin

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 07:47 AM   #17
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
What about whitespot fish disease? Isn't this disease spread much more in freshwater+salt than a pure seawater?
No. Absolutely not.

Once again READ THE STICKIES.

Could you maybe give us a little background on yourself? I would really like to help you out (as would many others) but it is a little difficult because I know nothing about who I am talking to.

PM me if you would prefer.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2018, 07:49 AM   #18
mcgyvr
Registered Member

aby,
Please spend a few hours reading all of this information in these collected posts in the link I'm including below..
This will cover many of the basics and answer quite a few of your questions I'm sure..

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031074

Unread 01/12/2018, 08:03 AM   #19
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
No. Absolutely not.

Once again READ THE STICKIES.

Could you maybe give us a little background on yourself? I would really like to help you out (as would many others) but it is a little difficult because I know nothing about who I am talking to.

PM me if you would prefer.
I second this. Always easier to help people who are active, and give details of what they have as a set up, or are looking to set up. Its why I kept asking in your phyto thread why you wanted to raise phyto. I'll still stand by my statement you don't need to, and shouldn't yet. Actually, Ima go ahead and double down on that, DONT raise phyto yet. You need sterile water, which would be you making saltwater, which is the topic of this thread sorta.

So, do you have a tank? Or are you still planning one out? How big? Based on this thread, are you planning on using Natural sea water? Or do you want to learn how to make artificial? What fish do you want that you want to raise copepods for? Do you have any previous experience keeping fish, fresh or salt?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2018, 01:56 PM   #20
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfgonzo View Post
Hook, Line and Sinker?
Ya think? Just maybe.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 05:49 PM   #21
aby
Registered Member

What is the content of seawater (or saltwater). The only I know is "salt". What other substances contain in seawater? Can I buy it too like "reef salt" to mix it with the freshwater?

Unread 01/14/2018, 06:03 PM   #22
SRQreef3r
Registered Member

I would read the stickies like people have suggested, but yes a reef salt mixed with RODI freshwater works great. i live right by the ocean and have never used natural ocean saltwater, nor have i heard of anyone doing so

SRQreef3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 06:11 PM   #23
aby
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQreef3r View Post
I would read the stickies like people have suggested, but yes a reef salt mixed with RODI freshwater works great. i live right by the ocean and have never used natural ocean saltwater, nor have i heard of anyone doing so
Can you please show me the link of "stickies" about substance contain in seawater?

Unread 01/14/2018, 06:21 PM   #24
scott11106
Registered Member

I’m not quite sure if I am amused or annoyed by this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott11106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 06:47 PM   #25
aby
Registered Member

I am not able to find the Sticky thread.