Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2018, 10:26 AM   #1
ConnorG
Registered Member

Pico Reef Cycle Question

About a week ago I set up a Fluval Spec III for an invert and soft coral tank. I started with bleached dry rock (old live rock from my system that was taken down ~2.5 yrs ago) and 1-2 lbs of Ocean Direct live sand. I let the tank run for a day, then started my fish less cycling process using Dr. Tim’s ammonia and a bottle of Bio Spira. I added enough ammonia to bring it up to 2+ ppm, then let the tank run its course till it came back down. It took about a day and a half to come back to 0 and for me to see nitrites. When the nitrites dropped to 0, I added more ammonia to bring it back up to 2+ ppm. About a day later, ammonia and nitrite were 0, and nitrates were 20. This process continued all week. I’m to the point now, where I can add a full 2 ppm dose of ammonia and it is processed in ~14 hrs.

Do I continue dosing the tank with ammonia and wait till it can process it quicker, or do I leave it be? It seems weird that it has cycled this quickly, so I am not exactly sure what to do next. My tests are showing me I’m ready for a CUC, but I have no diatoms and no algae for them to eat.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConnorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/15/2018, 09:18 PM   #2
ConnorG
Registered Member

Bump! Am I ok to add something to the tank? Some softies or a crab?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConnorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 02:10 PM   #3
Heavysledz
Registered Member

If you truly beleive your water parameter readings than I would do a water change to lower the Nitrate level and then slowly add in some livestock/corals. Personally, I would add the inverts first and see if your readings remain stable. If so, then slowly start to add in the corals.....You will likely experience a diatom outbreak as that is typical in new tank startups. So be prepared and have the necessary critters in your CUC that will help get rid of what you can't easily remove yourself...

Heavysledz is offline   Reply With Quote