Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2016, 10:51 AM   #26
aclinville
Registered Member

I as well have had many skimmers. I agree with a lot of people that NW skimmers are much easier with maintenance, power consumption and small footprint. But there are pro's and con's with each skimmer and when it comes down to it, it's just a matter of what you like. I have had my MTC skimmer for awhile and I can say it's the best skimmer i've owned it does suck to clean as compared to other skimmers but performance has been so much better.

aclinville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2016, 03:00 PM   #27
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

It's important to also consider that if one is with the majority, and running a tank of 50 gallons or less, the in sump needle wheel skimmers are likely a better (and consequently more common) choice. All my smaller tanks have used one and they work just fine. When you are in the minority, and go really big, then a whole range of bigger skimmers get added to the list of possible choices.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 02:06 PM   #28
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post
alot of writing and points, however, almost no substance.....

all pumps need cleaning and fail. all skimmers can overflow for one reason or another: mine uses an overflow stopper. most "modern" skimmers all work about the same, mine and yours; that's a fact!!!! not sure what hype has to do with a skimmer, most work well.......if you're going to post your "blue" tank, don't bother, i've seen it; and prefer tanks that look more natural: with corals that sway and calcify and colors that look more like my frequent dives.
Wow, guess you read my post in the MH thread and decided to stoop to my level, heh? You might be interested to note that I put out an apology for that comment.

Anyways, . . .

My post was simply making the point that new skimmers and old skimmers clean reefs equally well, and there is no evidence to the contrary, and both have pros and cons. Nothing you said changes that fact so I'm not sure what your point was other than trying to put down my "blue" reef.

Not sure what you mean by "blue" though, and I'm pretty into things that move, calcify, and look like corals I've seen on dives in the Fiji's and Australia as well . . .

Reef Hobbyist Magazine journalist, and all around SPS nut!

Current Tank Info: 240 with 750 gal total system, ATI LED Powermodule, MTC-HSA 1000. MTC Pro-Cal..
JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 02:34 PM   #29
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSUB View Post
most "modern" skimmers all work about the same, mine and yours; that's a fact!!!!
This is what we've all been trying to say.
If you've got a properly functioning NW skimmer, it's skimming noticeably better than the "old fashioned" skimmers even with all those "technological advances".

Someone else early one stated that there has been "many advances to skimmer technology", but when I asked what those advances were (besides size and power consumption) he went silent. Because there is none.

Personally, I've had better luck with my venturi skimmer than I've ever had with NW, but I know there are plenty of people getting on just fine with their NW. Whatever. I just know there are plenty of people I've turned on to LR skimmers in perticular and they all love them... even if it pulls a tad more (electrical) juice. If you are happy with your NW than by all means stick with it. If it ain't broke...

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2016, 03:40 PM   #30
CHSUB
"Certified Hobby Expert"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post
Wow, guess you read my post in the MH thread and decided to stoop to my level, heh? You might be interested to note that I put out an apology for that comment.

Anyways, . . .

My post was simply making the point that new skimmers and old skimmers clean reefs equally well, and there is no evidence to the contrary, and both have pros and cons. Nothing you said changes that fact so I'm not sure what your point was other than trying to put down my "blue" reef.

Not sure what you mean by "blue" though, and I'm pretty into things that move, calcify, and look like corals I've seen on dives in the Fiji's and Australia as well . . .

.jpg[/IMG]
just defending my skimmer and yes, i did read your other post: a little harsh. however, it didn't motivate this post. i didn't think i was putting down your reef, most would say it's very impressive, including myself. was trying to avoid the here's my skimmer, here's my reef response; while trying to "twist the knife a little"; but it seems i got it anyways!!! all in good fun of course!!! not on board with the alveopora, and don't tell me it's different from gonis!!!

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110638
CHSUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2016, 10:56 AM   #31
jwpick42
Registered Member

Jeff @ MTC

II received a call from Jeff yesterday and he told me that he recently had heart surgery. That's more than likely the reason you haven't heard from him. He is working limited hours at this time.

The best way to reach Jeff is by phone, and even then you might have a hard time reaching him.

jwpick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 11:00 AM   #32
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Has anyone had any contact with MTC recently? I've been trying to reach them for 3 weeks now by phone to no avail. I read earlier in the thread that one of the Owners was having some health issues. I hope that all is well.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 11:04 AM   #33
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Sea View Post
Has anyone had any contact with MTC recently? I've been trying to reach them for 3 weeks now by phone to no avail. I read earlier in the thread that one of the Owners was having some health issues. I hope that all is well.
People have been having better luck with email recently. But still takes a couple emails. FYI.

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/20/2016, 11:05 AM   #34
jason2459
Registered Member

It took me a few emails and calls letting it ring quite some time and got a hold of him. Took several weeks to get and in the end was well worth it. I've been reviewing mine in the MTC skimmer club thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2519839&page=8

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
Unread 07/20/2016, 12:31 PM   #35
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Thanks Jason. I'll keep trying.

Unread 07/21/2016, 08:03 AM   #36
scar79
Registered Member

Yes, they're still active. Ordered an HSA-3000 and 1000 from them a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard much since.

Another good contact idea is to fax them. Old school, but it works. I did that and Jeff called back an hour later.

scar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/21/2016, 11:01 AM   #37
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar79 View Post
Yes, they're still active. Ordered an HSA-3000 and 1000 from them a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard much since.

Another good contact idea is to fax them. Old school, but it works. I did that and Jeff called back an hour later.
I sent them an email this morning. I'll give it a day or so and see if I hear back from them.

I noticed your from Sw CT. I am also.

Unread 07/22/2016, 11:37 AM   #38
Desert Sea
Registered Member

I spoke with Jeff from MTC today. He is still around. Said he has been busy with Dr.'s appointments and taking care of a sick relative. Anyone looking to get in touch with him should send him an email with a return phone number and he will call back.

Unread 09/18/2018, 08:20 AM   #39
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Phone number now disconnected - hope Jeff is OK.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 09/18/2018, 01:08 PM   #40
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Me too. I am a proud owner of one of his skimmers.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2018, 08:47 AM   #41
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
I know his brother had some health issues a little over a year ago. I hope everything is ok.

Unread 09/24/2018, 09:12 AM   #42
anit77
Registered Member

I hope he's ok too. Not only have I just referred someone his way but he is one hell of a nice guy!

anit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/27/2018, 01:32 PM   #43
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2459 View Post
I know his brother had some health issues a little over a year ago. I hope everything is ok.
Really! Leo is the one who actually makes all their stuff.

Unread 09/27/2018, 04:02 PM   #44
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Really! Leo is the one who actually makes all their stuff.
Yeah, this was not to long before I bought my MVX. Jeff was non-existent for a bit during that time but at least his phone number was working AFAIK. He let me know he was backed up due to that.