Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2006, 08:57 PM   #201
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

ray22... no problem. Glad that you found this thread useful and happy that it saved you a nice chunk of change.

The questions about the bulkheads are pretty easy. The double threaded ones have an internal thread on the internal of the outside the tank piece. You will have to use Teflon tape and a piece of PVC called Male Pipe Thread to Slip . This will allow you to change the plumbing later.
The second type of BulkHead is the more standard Slip fitting. This needs to be solvent glued to a slip fit piece of PVC at the connection making this connection permanant.
Hope this helps some.

JustOneMoreTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2006, 12:23 AM   #202
portjeffski
Registered Member

Great thread, Just One More Tank.
Very informative. I ordered 2 drill bits from the ebay listing you mention. Lau said they are on their way. I am setting up my new 180 r/r tank. Will be drilling my sump and refugium following the step by step procedure you so neatly have shown us all.

Thanks.

portjeffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2006, 04:47 PM   #203
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by portjeffski
Great thread, Just One More Tank.
Very informative. I ordered 2 drill bits from the ebay listing you mention. Lau said they are on their way. I am setting up my new 180 r/r tank. Will be drilling my sump and refugium following the step by step procedure you so neatly have shown us all.

Thanks.
Hey no problem! Glad that I could be of some help to the members of this board. Reef Central has helped me with so much along the way as well.
Good luck with the drilling. Take it slow and gently and you should not have any problems.

Unread 01/24/2006, 05:48 PM   #204
Taikimoto
Registered Member

What would you suggest for drilling a 2.5g tank? I used to manage a fish store and the big huge drill we had was ok for 10g and up, but it would be to big for such a small tank. Is there anything store bought I can use to drill it?

Taikimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2006, 11:31 AM   #205
portjeffski
Registered Member

I completed drilling my sump and refugium tanks with the drill bits I ordered from Lau in Hong Kong. By simply following the instructions from Just One More Tank, it was no problem at all.
This was the first time I have ever tried drilling glass. By reading this thread I was able to figure out just what size bits I would be using, and there is also a conversion link on Reff Central home page.
I would like to thank the starter of this thread( Just One More Tank) for taking the time to post such graphic detailed instructions.
Thanks and read on.

portjeffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2006, 04:55 PM   #206
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by portjeffski
I completed drilling my sump and refugium tanks with the drill bits I ordered from Lau in Hong Kong. By simply following the instructions from Just One More Tank, it was no problem at all.
This was the first time I have ever tried drilling glass. By reading this thread I was able to figure out just what size bits I would be using, and there is also a conversion link on Reff Central home page.
I would like to thank the starter of this thread( Just One More Tank) for taking the time to post such graphic detailed instructions.
Thanks and read on.
Hey thank you for the kind words.
I was very nervous the first few times that I drilled a few bulkhead holes in a handful of glass tanks. Now it is no sweat. I just wanted to help take some of the fear and uncertainty out of the process for those who need/want to have this done. I wanted a fairly organized step by step approach that beginners could follow and have excellent results. I am glad that this could help so many people out. Reef Central is a great resource!

Unread 02/08/2006, 06:24 PM   #207
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

I got my bits today. One question for those who have done this. I am drilling a 80mm hole through 3/8" glass, do you think one bit will be enough?

Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return

Current Tank Info: 280 SPS reef
REEF-DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2006, 12:55 AM   #208
Paverdude
Registered Member

http://www.richontools.com/catalog/c8_p1.html

Paverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2006, 09:16 AM   #209
boofer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDohoney
I got my bits today. One question for those who have done this. I am drilling a 80mm hole through 3/8" glass, do you think one bit will be enough?
Yes...I drilled 5 1 3/4" through 3/8 with one bit and could do more if needed. Just go slow and use plenty of coolant, youll save the life of the bit and you wont break anything It was taking me roughly 15 minutes a hole, but I was letting the weight of the drill do all the work. Good luck

Current Tank Info: 110gal rubble bottom reef
boofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2006, 10:15 AM   #210
causeofhim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boofer
Yes...I drilled 5 1 3/4" through 3/8 with one bit and could do more if needed. Just go slow and use plenty of coolant, youll save the life of the bit and you wont break anything It was taking me roughly 15 minutes a hole, but I was letting the weight of the drill do all the work. Good luck
Yep. I did three.

causeofhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2006, 09:36 PM   #211
BraenDead
Registered Member

How many 1.75" holes do you think I should be able to drill in the back of a standard all-glass 75g tank? I am hoping to get 5 holes on the back but will not do this if it will cause the strength of the tank to decline to a dangerous level.

Thanks for any input.

Bob

BraenDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2006, 02:22 PM   #212
aroundtuit
Premium Member

Is Shank size an issue?

I'm looking at ordering a 45 mm bit through Lau on ebay. It says the shank on the bit is 10 mm which comes out to 0.39 inches. That's just over 3/8", the size of the chuck on my drill. Is this an issue or is there enough room to fit the 10 mm shank into my 3/8" drill?

-Chinese Proverb

Current Tank Info: 110 G Fresh water - 125 Gal Reef not set up yet.
aroundtuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2006, 04:09 PM   #213
daFrimpster
Registered Member

3/8 = .375
.39 -.375 = .015
That's just 15 thousandths of an inch. It shouldn't be a problem.

Current Tank Info: 10 gal nano, 55 gal FW planted, 10g endler's, 20g FO,29g fw FO 65g SW Macro's & Fish
daFrimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2006, 02:43 PM   #214
aquamanco
Registered Member

Well thanks for starting this thread. Got my bits from Lau++
and bulkheads. I'm ready to drill. ALL NEED IS THE TIME GET IT DONE.

aquamanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2006, 02:43 PM   #215
aquamanco
Registered Member

Well thanks for starting this thread. Got my bits from Lau++
and bulkheads. I'm ready to drill. ALL NEED IS THE TIME GET IT DONE.

Unread 02/17/2006, 02:45 PM   #216
aquamanco
Registered Member

Now how that double post ? Sorry

Unread 02/17/2006, 10:11 PM   #217
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

Hey! Thanks for the triple post ... errr... I mean bump.

Unread 02/18/2006, 07:26 PM   #218
BraenDead
Registered Member

Well, after drilling 12 holes (8mm) of the 60 I will be cutting to make slots for an external overflow, I can say the following:
- using a drill press makes it much easier
- 1100 RPM's cuts much better than 620 RPM's
- definately use a piece of tape on the back side (duct or something similarly sticky and wide)
- drilling the holes is really quick. The long part is prepping each hole (I'm getting rather tired)

Bob

BraenDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2006, 09:52 PM   #219
JustOneMoreTank
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BraenDead
Well, after drilling 12 holes (8mm) of the 60 I will be cutting to make slots for an external overflow, I can say the following:
- using a drill press makes it much easier
- 1100 RPM's cuts much better than 620 RPM's
- definately use a piece of tape on the back side (duct or something similarly sticky and wide)
- drilling the holes is really quick. The long part is prepping each hole (I'm getting rather tired)

Bob
Good job. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Do you have any pictures of the progress? I would love to see your tank so far.

Unread 02/19/2006, 12:04 AM   #220
boofer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BraenDead
How many 1.75" holes do you think I should be able to drill in the back of a standard all-glass 75g tank? I am hoping to get 5 holes on the back but will not do this if it will cause the strength of the tank to decline to a dangerous level.

Thanks for any input.

Bob
Every hole makes it weaker, but If your worried about integrity, you can silicone acrylic to the inside of the glass you drilled. I ended up with 5 holes in my back pane (36x23 3/8" thick), and used black 1/4" acrylic to strengthen up the glass. Just make sure you seal it good around the bulkhead holes and put enough to paste the acrylic to the back glass. Then just silicone the edges and you should be good.

Current Tank Info: 110gal rubble bottom reef
boofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2006, 08:41 AM   #221
vanceny
Registered Member

I'm about to drill my 75g as well. Just ordered the hole saw from lau but wanted to run this by everyone before starting. This thread has been a great help, the lfs wanted $40 per hole. This will save some money for other fishy things. Take a look at my plan and advise. Do you think that there are too many holes? Should I just run the CL return over the top?

Thanks everyone.

vanceny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2006, 08:46 AM   #222
vanceny
Registered Member

Also the CL drain will be joined and run into a Mag12 then returned and split to the two 3/4 returns. Each 3/4 return will then be split using a loc-line. The plumbing will probably be 1" pvc all around.
As for the sump/refugium I'll be using a Mag7 for the return with 1 1/4" pvc.

What do you all think?

Vance

Unread 02/23/2006, 03:40 PM   #223
vanceny
Registered Member

Does any one have a suggestion for placement regarding drilling the holes that drain and return to/from the sump? I was considering installing an internal overflow but would rather not since they take up so much space. The internal overflow would probably be 10" long by 5" deep.

Unread 02/24/2006, 08:29 AM   #224
vanceny
Registered Member

to the top ^

Unread 02/24/2006, 08:45 AM   #225
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

For those of you drilling for overflows, what are you using for the actual overflow

Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return

Current Tank Info: 280 SPS reef
REEF-DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote