Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/02/2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Gondore
Registered Member

What salt are you using?

So in the past I have always ran Reef Crystals and for the most part had good success. The one thing I have hated about that salt though it no much brown residue it leaves in my mixing containers. I am looking to switch to another salt on my new tank and wanted to see what others were using.

Gondore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 09:38 AM   #2
SneekaPeek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondore View Post
So in the past I have always ran Reef Crystals and for the most part had good success. The one thing I have hated about that salt though it no much brown residue it leaves in my mixing containers. I am looking to switch to another salt on my new tank and wanted to see what others were using.
I use red sea blue bucket, great levels except for mag, gotta boost that up with added mag cost, however I do get a slight brown in my tub. The cleanest salt I have ever used was tropic marin pro reef, but I got bad buckets of that stuff back in the day, alk was at 4.9dkh. switched to red sea and never looked back. plus my wallet has been really happy from $90 a bucket to $60 a bucket every month, which is an amazing savings.

SneekaPeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 10:37 AM   #3
swk
Registered Member

I used to use Red Sea blue bucket, but switched to IO after seeing a triton test on fresh mixed salt with rodi water. Maganese was 50x nsw levels and my tank showed symptoms consistent with that result. This was before the triton text review by rich Ross, however, things improved immediately after switching salts. I know that's only anecdotal but was my experience

Current Tank Info: 75 gal SPS dominant reef. Geo calcium reactor with masterflex pump, Deltec 1455 skimmer, 2 mp40QD, mp10wes, lit by a 6x54 dimable ATI sunpower and controlled by Reef Angel
swk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 02:47 PM   #4
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

I use IO. No residue, but I mix it cold with a full container of water and heat later.

I mix the 50G bags and it mixed perfectly every time. No need to dry mix and hope that it did not settle. FWIW - Tropic Marin is really bad about settling IME... parms all over the place from the top of the bucket vs. the bottom.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Jettareefer
Registered Member

I use coralife salt it's cheap, dissolves well, and the parameters also match my tank nicely. I was unhappy with reef crystals after using it on and off for 2 years.

Unread 03/02/2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Blueline12
Registered Member

Why does it matter about leaving a residue? As long as it has a proper levels who cares. And I use D&D H2Ocean and it leaves plenty of residue.

Blueline12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 08:38 PM   #7
redwhiteandblue
Registered Member

SeaChem reef is same price, and gives me good numbers every batch, minimal residue and mixes quickly

Unread 03/02/2015, 09:51 PM   #8
fishguy597
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline12 View Post
Why does it matter about leaving a residue? As long as it has a proper levels who cares. And I use D&D H2Ocean and it leaves plenty of residue.
Nothing scientific here but I find the residue in the bucket gets in my tank and my corals don't like it. I usually move on to the next batch of salt.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 09:59 PM   #9
Wazzel
Registered Member

I use reef crystls. It is one of the few I can get local.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 11:17 PM   #10
Houndsbayman
Registered Member

reef Crystals also

Houndsbayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2015, 11:23 PM   #11
spsfreak25
I'm the real joker

I use red sea coral pro. I use to use reef crystals but sense i was doing all sps i wanted the high lvls it offers. Been 3 weeks with this salt mix and im already growing coraline.

spsfreak25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 12:15 AM   #12
Scorpius
Stick Head

ESV-BIONIC. Makes my corals happy.

Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 12:53 AM   #13
JammyBirch
Aquaria Engineering

Just switched to RC i was using Instant Ocean, saw some residue in the bucket but figured i was adding the salt too quickly. Since i have been adding it more uniformely i haven't had any issue.

What is the brown stuff anyway? It crudded up my heater big time in the bucket.

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon cube
JammyBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 01:12 AM   #14
k4ndyk1ng
Registered Member

I use h20cean, no residue and gives the me the required levels every time

Current Tank Info: The Plate Garden 60g http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2474978
k4ndyk1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 09:24 AM   #15
szajda_m
Registered Member

Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Params very near to NSW, especially alkalinity.

szajda_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 09:55 AM   #16
RainbowReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swk View Post
I used to use Red Sea blue bucket, but switched to IO after seeing a triton test on fresh mixed salt with rodi water. Maganese was 50x nsw levels and my tank showed symptoms consistent with that result. This was before the triton text review by rich Ross, however, things improved immediately after switching salts. I know that's only anecdotal but was my experience

I would to see the triton test, do you have a link?

I have always used TMP but gave BW Neo a shot after hearing a few things I loved. I will never go to another brand I've loved it ever since.

RainbowReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 10:07 AM   #17
alten78
Registered Member

Reef Crystals here, its the cheapest I can get locally. I get the brown residue as well but never noticed it going into the tank.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS dominated
alten78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 10:10 AM   #18
Bilk
Registered Member

Used ESV for the last year and recently switched to regular TM. It mixes the same every time for me and clears within 10 minutes or so.

I switched from ESV because it was testing positive for PO4 on a fresh mix. Speaking to the owner, he claimed this was within tolerance and acceptable. I didn't agree. I too sent in a test to Triton. I tested my tank water and not fresh mixed water. It showed very high levels for manganese and lithium. So I bought a few buckets of TM to see how things go. So far I like it. I may get a bucket of TMP to see what that's about. Both TM products are available from Petco at a discount with free shipping and can be placed on an automatic replenishment schedule to show up at the door without having to remember to order. ESV was becoming problematic, not being available when I needed it.

Unread 03/03/2015, 10:25 AM   #19
degibson84
Registered Member

Recently switched back to regular instant ocean. I supplement with Dow flake during mixing to increase calcium levels to 420-440

degibson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 10:27 AM   #20
tmc1313
Registered Member

Instant Ocean

Unread 03/03/2015, 10:35 AM   #21
Scorpius
Stick Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilk View Post
Used ESV for the last year and recently switched to regular TM. It mixes the same every time for me and clears within 10 minutes or so.

I switched from ESV because it was testing positive for PO4 on a fresh mix. Speaking to the owner, he claimed this was within tolerance and acceptable. I didn't agree. I too sent in a test to Triton. I tested my tank water and not fresh mixed water. It showed very high levels for manganese and lithium. So I bought a few buckets of TM to see how things go. So far I like it. I may get a bucket of TMP to see what that's about. Both TM products are available from Petco at a discount with free shipping and can be placed on an automatic replenishment schedule to show up at the door without having to remember to order. ESV was becoming problematic, not being available when I needed it.
I wouldn't jump on ESV as being your source of phosphates. I don't have any problems with phosphates with ESV's salt.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2174418

Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 10:37 AM   #22
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by szajda_m View Post
Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Params very near to NSW, especially alkalinity.
When I first started reefkeeping I used to always use Reef Crystals. Then moved to using Kent occaionally and mostly using D&D H2Ocean.

I have also used TMC salt on a couple of occassions but found the alk was severely low!

Now thinking of using Instant Ocean or even KZ ReefersBest.

D&D H2Ocean does contain decent parameters in terms of Alk, Mg and Ca, however, for me it doesnt mix very well and I hate the residue it leaves behind. Also...and maybe its just me, but I feel I had better results when using ReefCrystals years ago...with the D&D H2Ocean for some odd reason not all corals colour up (not all corals, just one or two).

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 11:14 AM   #23
jusn317
Registered Member

Currently using and really liking Aquavitro Salinity. Mixes clear as long long as I let it mix overnight before using it. Prior to that used Red Sea in blue bucket and ESV. I'd probably still use ESV if it wasn't so hard to find and so expensive.

jusn317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2015, 11:35 AM   #24
Bilk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I wouldn't jump on ESV as being your source of phosphates. I don't have any problems with phosphates with ESV's salt.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2174418
As I mentioned, it wasn't the only reason I switched. I wasn't sure about the high lithium and manganese being healthy for the tank. The Triton test results performed on the regent grade samples wasn't done as of yet, so the numbers I got back could be well off from reality.

I used ESV on the 50g build I had and really liked it. It just became an issue when I needed to obtain more. I'll see how things go with the TM salts. I can always switch back. Right now I like how it mixes. If I see any variations that are too skewed, then I'll have to reconsider.

Unread 03/03/2015, 11:45 AM   #25
jbvdhp
Registered Member

Reef crystals. What is this brown residue you speak of? I've never had any brown residue when using reef crystals.

Current Tank Info: 8' 240 gallons of headache
jbvdhp is offline   Reply With Quote