Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2011, 09:42 PM   #3876
SEA_SHANTY
Registered Member

Diy reefer

Hi,
New to the hobby and have a 45 Hex tank, a DIY wet/dry sump 30g total 15g wet, 2.5" live sand, 3 -5 gallon buckets of live rock. Been up and running for a month now. have 1 damsel currently for a week now. Any good plans for a protein skimmer? I would like to stick one in my sump.

Thanks - I'll post picks of the setup next time.

SEA_SHANTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2011, 09:45 PM   #3877
SEA_SHANTY
Registered Member

Hi,
New to the hobby and have a 45 Hex tank, a DIY wet/dry sump 30g total 15g wet, 2.5" live sand, 3 -5 gallon buckets of live rock. Been up and running for a month now. have 1 damsel currently for a week now. Any good plans for a protein skimmer? I would like to stick one in my sump.

Thanks - I'll post picks of the setup next time.

SEA_SHANTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2011, 08:59 AM   #3878
MHG
Registered Member

Hi

Hello all, I was a reef aquarium owner back in the day. I have not had one in 10 years. But my wife and I are getting back into the hobby...

MG

MHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2011, 10:55 AM   #3879
saltyfishlvr
Registered Member

Replacing the used 90 gallon I bought 4 years ago with a brand new 120 reef tank. Very excited My Maroon Clown pair, porcupine puffer (baby) and Starry Blenny are in a 30 gallon holding tank while the new home cycles.

saltyfishlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2011, 07:45 PM   #3880
Bazzle
Registered Member

Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie to the aquarium setting, but have been wanting a saltwater tank for years. My name is Chris, Im 25 and my tank has been going for a little over a month now. I heard of this site through my local pet store where the guys are awsome and have been so helpful. Well I picked up a 30 gallon tank I have the basics--filters, heater, hydrometer, test kits all that good stuff, but heres some of the main stuff

Live Sand
26 Lbs of live rock
T5 coralife blue/white Lighting System

After the tank was going for about three weeks I added two small Damsels (blue, 3 striped) its been a week now and they are doing great. I test the water every few days right now cause I want to make sure everything goes smoothly and its always been good, keeping the water at 78 degrees right now. With such a small tank Im looking to keep the two Damsels and add 1 Percula Clownfish, and one Bi Color Dwarf Angel Fish I think that will be it for fish even though I would like two clownfish. What do you guys think? oh and I want to put a couple snails and one peppermint shrimp and eventually a tiny bit of coral.

P.S. My tank has been up a month now, when should I do my first water change the fish have been in there a 7 days and are doing great, all my level are excellent. but not sure how much I should change out and when is a good time to do the first water change. *Yes I will be using RO DI water

Bazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2011, 10:43 PM   #3881
devildog1
Registered Member

Hello all.
My name is Tony. Just starting out in the reef aquarium hobby. Have been nervous to set up a reef tank. Been wanting to do it for a while, so here we go...

Just picked up a biocube 29 gallon. Starting out with Caribsea live sand and around 20 pounds of live rock. Actually just got done setting it up tonight.

Is 20 pounds of liverock enough. Was thinking of adding more in the near future. Water is really cloudy so the final placement of the rock is complete yet.

Also just ordered a media basket and fuge basket from intank to upgrade the stock filteration system. not sure what media to use.

Any advice would be appreciated..

devildog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2011, 10:45 PM   #3882
devildog1
Registered Member

Welcome Gunny. Semper Fi.

devildog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2011, 11:43 PM   #3883
ian09
Registered Member

Hello Reef Central!!!

Hello everyone! Name's Ian and I am a total noob (and will mess up more than thrice!) to this beautiful hobby. I have only a month's worth of saltwater experience and that is with a 5 gallon tank (which only has a filter, fluorescent lighting, 9in LED cabinet strips, and a 15 watt heater. Life: 6lbs of live sand, 6lbs of live rock, 2 snails, 2 hermit crabs, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 clown fish, 1 bubble tip anemone, and a little 1in coral that i have no idea what is.) I know, how could I do this?!!! So small, and what was I thinking with the anemone with insufficient lighting?!!! Well, I am learning now. I now have a 30 gallon ( 36"L X 12"W X 16"D ) and am looking forward to setting it up along with the knowledge and guidance of everyone here on Reef Central. And just to let everyone know, to the best of my knowledge, every living thing in my 5 Gallon SEEM to be ok. Sorry for the bad iPhone pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg reef central 1.jpg (60.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg reef central 2.jpg (49.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg reef central 3.jpg (51.4 KB, 9 views)
ian09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 03:22 AM   #3884
Ghost.
Registered Member

Hello everyone, My name is Victor and I am taking a leap from freshwater to SW. I have been waiting and researching for a while and got a great deal on a used set up from a coworker. I have a 125g tank with 2 250w 14k MH and 4 65w 420nm/460nm lighting, 30 gallon sump/refugium , 150-200 lbs of lr, protein skimmer fir $700. I have kept freshwater for the last 6 years and am really looking forward to getting my tank going. Currently I am in the process of sanding the varnish off of the stand and canopy to stain it . I will be posting pics soon. I am unsure of what types of corals , fish , etc. I will be keeping but I guess thats what I will be looking into while my tank is cycling.

Ghost. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 08:48 AM   #3885
Matt R.
Registered Member

Hi there! I have used this site a bunch for research. Seems like a great place. I have my tank specs in my sig. Chicago area.

Unread 02/26/2011, 10:44 AM   #3886
King Ron
Registered Member

i am new to this . i have a 55gal FWLR 9lbs of live sand . 25 lbs of LR and 9 fish and a cleaning crew. now i do all my own water tests and do water changes every 2 weeks .but i am looking to understand my tech specs. like how many gals is my wet/dry slump tank if its H 14" x W 8" x L 18" with bio balls...

Current Tank Info: 55gal F0WLR. Overflow to Wet/Dry 10 gal sump with Bio-balls.64 WPG . 2 O.clown fish. 6 cromis. 1 yellow tang .1 diamondback goby. 7 red turbo snails. 3 blue leg hermit crabs. 1 Lg. hermit crab With 78 lbs of LR and 60 Lbs. of LS.
King Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 01:15 PM   #3887
Jimbob.
Registered Member

Hi there all, UK Reefer here

Great to be on this amazing forum, i am currently in the process of setting up my first Marine tank.

Look forward to speaking with you all!

Jimbob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 02:09 PM   #3888
omiclat
Registered Member

Hey everyone. My name is Owen and I am new to the hobby. I decided on a 72g pre-drilled bow front tank as a "starter tank". There are plenty of great posts on this forum to get information in aiding my startup. I'm excited about getting started. Thanks everyone for all the great information.

omiclat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 08:08 PM   #3889
PlanB
Registered Member

Hey,
I went out to buy a beach cruiser, came back with a slightly used Bio Cube 29 With JBJ K-2 Viper clap on lamp With stand/ 399$ Could I pass that up? LFS guy was awesome too, which was one of the main reasons I bought from him. I've been meaning to get into the hobby for some time now, been reading a lot, but just couldn't scrape enough dough together till now. So, I got the tank, sand, and mixed in my own saltwater mix from the tap. Day one, letting the cloudy water clear. Only salt and sand at this point. I need to find out a good live rock retailer that does not charge an arm and a leg - if online, reputable too because shipping and selection of pieces would be sight unseen.

I plan to keep posting, so i may start a new thread to journalize (is that a word? spell check didn't catch it..) my journey into this hobby.[IMG]
https:///s/c/transparent_album_background.gif) no-repeat left">
Feb 26, 2011
[/IMG]

Look forward to learning and sharing. Thanks.

PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2011, 08:10 PM   #3890
PlanB
Registered Member

Hola

Hey,
I went out to buy a beach cruiser, came back with a slightly used Bio Cube 29 With JBJ K-2 Viper clap on lamp With stand/ 399$ Could I pass that up? LFS guy was awesome too, which was one of the main reasons I bought from him. I've been meaning to get into the hobby for some time now, been reading a lot, but just couldn't scrape enough dough together till now. So, I got the tank, sand, and mixed in my own saltwater mix from the tap. Day one, letting the cloudy water clear. Only salt and sand at this point. I need to find out a good live rock retailer that does not charge an arm and a leg - if online, reputable too because shipping and selection of pieces would be sight unseen.

I plan to keep posting, so i may start a new thread to journalize (is that a word? spell check didn't catch it..) my journey into this hobby.

[IMG]
https:///s/c/transparent_album_background.gif) no-repeat left">
Feb 26, 2011
[/IMG]

Look forward to learning and sharing. Thanks.

PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 01:17 PM   #3891
Smigma8
Registered Member

Post New To RC & The Hobby

Hello Everyone! I am new to RC and the hobby, and this is my first post!

Tank Information:
Display Tank: 150 Gallon (Extra High) Glass Aquarium (Drilled with Overflow)
Refugium: 40 Gallon Refugium With Baffles (Spillover Into Media with Bioballs - Flows Into Sump)
Stand/Canopy: Custom Built Black Stand & Canopy

Lighting:
Display Tank: Two CoralVue 250Watt 20,000K Metal Halides (Mogul Base) - Runs 10 Hours/Day
Refugium: One Current 24inch 24Watt 10,000K T5HO & One Current 24inch 24Watt 450NM Actinic - Runs 14 Hours/Day
UV Sterilizer

Filtration:
Display Tank: Live Sand & 180 Pounds Live Rock (Fiji & Atlantic Live Rock)
Refugium: Live Sand with Cheato Algae, Copepods, and a few Snails
Filter Media with BioBalls
Octopus Reef Protein Skimmer (In Sump)
Current UV Sterilizer (Can't remember the wattage offhand)

Circulation:
Two MaxiJet 1200 Power Heads with 2100g/h Upgrade Kit
Return Pump (In Sump) with Return Outlets (Can’t remember the model or specs offhand)

Heating:
Two Visi-Therm VTX 300Watt Heaters (In Refugium)

Current Inhabitants:
Two Yellow Tang
Two Tank-Bred Orange & White Ocellaris Clownfish
Two Tank-Bred Black & White Ocellaris Clownfish
One Blue Tang
Four Peppermint Shrimp
Assorted Cleanup Crew: Hermit Crabs, Snails, Red Serpent Starfish, Crabs (Emerald, Porcelain, Decorator)
One Long Tentacle Anemone

I am looking forward to learning a lot on this site and hopefully making some new friends in the hobby!

Regards,
David

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-My_Aquarium 001.jpg (45.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-My_Aquarium 003.jpg (60.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-My_Aquarium 005.jpg (77.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Smigma8; 02/27/2011 at 01:48 PM.
Smigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 06:15 PM   #3892
nels64
Registered Member

newby

hey guys. totally new to the marine keeping, i have an 80 gallon aquarium thats been going for around 12 months now, before that i had kept tropical fish for over 12 years.

nels64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 08:12 PM   #3893
King Ron
Registered Member

No more fish for me I am just gonna wrk on earning my tank . I love this hobby not for tha colorful fish or type of fish . But cuz it never ends . I love jus watching with a cigar and drink in hand. So now I will slowly add 15 to 20 lbs of LR Maybe a skimmer and new lighting for frag in 2012 lol . But are my tanks stats safe . I think so but hey I am a newbie what do I knw

Current Tank Info: 55gal F0WLR. Overflow to Wet/Dry 10 gal sump with Bio-balls.64 WPG . 2 O.clown fish. 6 cromis. 1 yellow tang .1 diamondback goby. 7 red turbo snails. 3 blue leg hermit crabs. 1 Lg. hermit crab With 78 lbs of LR and 60 Lbs. of LS.
King Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2011, 09:17 PM   #3894
KRBNSOL
Registered Member

Hello all....just getting back into the hobby and am trying to soak up as much info as I can by reading the posts on this forum. Any and all advice will be taken, some with a grain or two of salt (bad pun, I know). Introduced a few crabs this weekend....so far so good! Hope to add a few of these soon --> !

KRBNSOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 03:12 AM   #3895
xaos
Registered Member

Hello there! It seems I've been seduced by the reef bug.

I've done freshwater for ~15 years or so, and currently maintain a 90g planted tank. Looking forward to playing aquatic garden with a new and wildly expanded color palette

Just starting the planning stages of the first reef, so it'll be awhile before I can *really* participate, but in the meantime I look forward to absorbing as much of the huge amount of knowledge here as possible.

xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 03:39 PM   #3896
Themouse77
Registered Member

Hi, new to this forum.............got a new tank getting built (500gal) hope to post some pics and get some advice obn stocking it from the members here.........

Themouse77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 07:10 PM   #3897
Manutd7s
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I'm new to the community and to aquariums in general. I bought a 240g acrylic tank yesterday with a stand, canopy, a 1/15hp dolphin pump, and some associated equipment that I will post later. I'm looking forward to learning everything I can from the experienced members of the forum!

Manutd7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 07:45 PM   #3898
jerrys59
Registered Member

new from alabama

Just getting started in the saltwater tanks,1-38 gal reef tank and one 12 gal nano.

jerrys59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2011, 08:09 PM   #3899
njw26
Registered Member

hello everyone i'm Nick and new to reef central and to salt. i just got my first tank 55gal andamhoping to start cycling soem rock and sant tuesday night.We will see how that goes. i'm looking for any advice i can get on lighting i havea4 bulb t-5 fixture and any help on which protien skimmer ideas.

njw26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2011, 06:10 PM   #3900
KWhit60
Registered Member

Hello Every one at RC.

Tags
brain coral, new member, sick coral