Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/15/2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Outlets710
Registered Member

Trying to upgrade without taking current pests with me, advice desperatley needed plz

I am in the process of upgrading from a 16 nuvo to a 26 Ridge from Pico Aquariums. I have had a few tanks in the past and I have never had this problem. I have a flatworm outbreak that wont go away. I have used flatworm Exit at every possible dose and have done what they suggest as far as Carbon and other measures so you dont lose anything else and as of now it has killed off the majority of sponges,Abalones, and bristle worms I have had and flatworms are still popping up here and there. Extremely painful to watch these guys dying off while the problem still exists.

I know there are no guarantees but I need some type of method or something that I can do so they wont get in new tank. As of now this is my plan, being that it is such a small tank I am just going to replace all the liverock and sand bed. As far as coral , I plan on doing a freshwater dip and maybe a scrub on the ones I wont hurt. Is there something else I can do or dip them in? Or another course of action I can take that you guys would recommend?
thank you much

Last edited by Outlets710; 05/15/2012 at 10:02 AM.
Outlets710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2012, 10:22 AM   #2
nynikki
Registered Member

Whenever I buy new coral, my LFS recommends a 20 minute iodine dip to kill off any critters that may be hitchhiking. You won't be able to dip sponges or clams obviously, but I think this will take out the flat worms from LPS and SPS. They sell iodine specifically for coral dipping, I'm not sure if it's any different than what you would buy at a pharmacy for medical purposes though.

~Nikki

Current Tank Info: 90g peaceful reef. 35g sump, G2 Skimmer, Vortech, Tunze Wave maker. Fish inhabitants: Ocellaris Clown Pair, Foxface, Yellow Watchman, Blue Damsal, Borbonius Anthias, Helfrichi Firefish, 2 Pajama Cardinals, 3 Green Chromis
nynikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Outlets710
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynikki View Post
Whenever I buy new coral, my LFS recommends a 20 minute iodine dip to kill off any critters that may be hitchhiking. You won't be able to dip sponges or clams obviously, but I think this will take out the flat worms from LPS and SPS. They sell iodine specifically for coral dipping, I'm not sure if it's any different than what you would buy at a pharmacy for medical purposes though.
I promise you i will be doing that from now on, thank you

Unread 05/15/2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Carl T
Registered Member

Might look into a dip called Coral Rx. It is really good.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

Carl T is offline   Reply With Quote