Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/15/2013, 11:34 AM   #1
samhalsey
Registered Member

20g Long setup - advice needed

Hi There

New to all this. I currently have a 20g long, FOWLR tank, its only been running for around 4 months, and all is going very well

I recently purchased a TMC v2 80 skimmer, the tank was all running fine without it, I do my water changes every 2 weeks and have had no problems what so ever, But I thought adding a small skimmer can only help, right? So my lfs recommended the smaller skimmer as I didn't have a huge amount of space and this fit perfectly behind the tank. Now the problem im having is microbubbles pouring into the tank. I understand that skimmers take some time to bed in, but how long does this normally take? and, do the bubbles eventually stop once bedded in, or is there a way to stop them?

Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks

Last edited by samhalsey; 09/15/2013 at 12:20 PM.
samhalsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Aello
Registered Member

It all depends on how long they take to break in, usually once you start getting dark foam in the collection cup, the break in is pretty much done, as for micro bubbles, you can try to tune your Venturi so there is not as much air entering the skimmer, but make sure you are still collecting foam, the other option that is simple and easy is to zip tie a dollar store sponge to the end of the skimmer where it enters the aquarium, this will separate the water from the bubbles and keep the bubbles out of your aquarium

Aello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2013, 03:02 AM   #3
samhalsey
Registered Member

Fantastic, il give it a try! Thanks

samhalsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Aello
Registered Member

How did everything work out for your skimmer?

Aello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20g, fowlr, nano, v280