Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/22/2010, 06:36 PM   #1
ezhoops
Registered Member

Bean Animal overflow help..surging

I used Bean Animals design for my overflow and the drains seem to be fine and then about every 60-90 seconds the drains surge or burp and a mass amount of water flows into the drains really hard and fast.

I have the 2 drains (in the overflow)submerged with 2 90's. I have no air holes or anything drilled into the drain lines. I have the drains in the (sump) submerged and each fitted with a 90 and a Tee.

tank info:
50 gal breeder
overflow has 3 1.5" holes drilled (Bean Animal design)
Sump is a 29 gal (fuge > return < skimmer bubble magnus NAC6
return pump is a sicce 3.0

Current Tank Info: Working on 60 cube, sicce 3.0 return pump, 29 gal sump with fuge,Bubble Magnus NAC6 Skimmer, Aquaticlife 4 bulb T-5 VHO, 29gal Rare Clown breeding
ezhoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2010, 06:50 PM   #2
uncleof6
Registered Member

What you are running, is not a bean animal system. It is two siphons, with T's and 90's on the outlets of the drain lines. I assume the third 1.5" would be the dry emergency, so what you have is a dual siphon herbie. My recommendation, is that you go back and read through the description in bean's original thread. Remove the 90's and the T's from the drain line outlets in the sump, they serve no useful purpose on a siphon drain line, (or a durso style for that matter) make sure the outlets are not submerged more than an inch below water level, turn one siphon standpipe into an open channel (air hole w/tubing) and adjust the system per beans eloquent instructions in the thread. The system will then operate as it is intended. incidently, have you run across my ex yet?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Oh, the reason I say go back and read the thread is to save me a whole bunch of typing.

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef

Last edited by uncleof6; 07/22/2010 at 07:03 PM.
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2010, 07:27 PM   #3
ezhoops
Registered Member

double post

Current Tank Info: Working on 60 cube, sicce 3.0 return pump, 29 gal sump with fuge,Bubble Magnus NAC6 Skimmer, Aquaticlife 4 bulb T-5 VHO, 29gal Rare Clown breeding
Unread 07/22/2010, 07:29 PM   #4
ezhoops
Registered Member

Jim, Thanks for responding, I was hoping you would. Man I guess I subconsciously pre-programmed from former tanks to do things this way.

Man, now I gotta read that thread again, geez, its gonna be a late night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleof6 View Post
incidently, have you run across my ex yet?

[
Actually, yes I may have, if she is anything like my ex

Unread 07/22/2010, 07:35 PM   #5
ezhoops
Registered Member

so is there a page number that refers to overflow boxes that are vertical?

Unread 07/22/2010, 08:00 PM   #6
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhoops View Post
Jim, Thanks for responding, I was hoping you would. Man I guess I subconsciously pre-programmed from former tanks to do things this way.

Man, now I gotta read that thread again, geez, its gonna be a late night.

Actually, yes I may have, if she is anything like my ex
I really don't know what she is like, haven't seen or spoken to her since 1975, dang I am gettin old..............

You don't have to read the WHOLE thread, just the first few pages (sans the heckling) bean is clear and concise, unlike me having a tendency to take it around the dance floor a couple times........

A vertical overflow should not really operate much different than a c2c, with some provisos. Is the linear length long enough to support the flow rate? and is there enough room for at least the siphon and open channel in the same overflow? Sounds like the siphons are not fully kicking in, and could account for the durso style toilet flushing...... that could be due to the outlets in the sump..... or air leaks in the lines. Technically, the dry emergency can be anywhere, as long as you set your heights "correctly" Can't give you a page number for anything in that thread, other than it starts on page 1.............

Jim

Last edited by uncleof6; 07/22/2010 at 08:06 PM.
Unread 07/22/2010, 08:39 PM   #7
ezhoops
Registered Member

wish I could draw pics but...words will have to do.

ok so I have 3 holes in my overflow(bottom of tank)
I think to make it work I need to put Tee's on 2 of them and then put the caps and a JG adapter on the one. The problem being that space is limited so i may have to work something out.

on the other side of the tank (under the bulk heads) I have the 2 drains fitted with gate valves and the 3rd (emergency drain) is just cut short (meant to be loud)

I just don't know how or where to place the JG adapter or what to do with it

also, I have nothing glue inside the overflow, would that cause air leaks? Should I glue everything up? I just hate to cause its so permanent

sorry for all the ?'s

Unread 07/23/2010, 06:41 PM   #8
ezhoops
Registered Member

OK Jim, I'm affraid I scared you off but I've got everything done

here are some pics and just a few quick questions

I was able to fit everything very tightly in my overflow box.

I am having some bubbles as you can see in the one picture, wondering what is causing that or is it normal?

What is the John guest tubing do and how long does it have to be?

thanks

I love it and it is silent

Unread 07/23/2010, 06:48 PM   #9
uncleof6
Registered Member

The air tube is a secondary failsafe trigger. The open end of the tube, should be attached in the overflow, at your maximum allowable water height, well just below ~ if the emergency plugs, water will block the air tube, and the open channel will become a siphon.

Looks like you have too much flow running through the open channel, as there should be NO bubbles whatsoever. The water level is adjusted in the overflow, by the valve? on the siphon line, till water just barely flows in the open channel. that will eliminate the bubbles, unless, your fittings are not glued and you are getting air in the lines. Water tight, does not mean AIR tight.

Also, the outlets to your drains are way too deep. They should be no more than 1" below water level in the sump.

Jim

Unread 07/23/2010, 07:12 PM   #10
ezhoops
Registered Member

thanks, I will shorten up the drains and I didn't glue anything together, I'm going to see if I can get away without glue, if I get bubbles then I will glue. Thanks for all the help. it seemed pretty daunting but it really wasn't that difficult.

Unread 07/23/2010, 09:05 PM   #11
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Did I miss the party?

Jim appears to have you on the right track... Let us know how thinks work out.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2010, 09:24 PM   #12
ezhoops
Registered Member

I think I got this straight. I cannot believe how quiet and little bubbles there are, it really is set it and forget it. I'm so very happy with it.

Unread 07/26/2010, 07:09 AM   #13
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Glad you got it worked out

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote